Sign in to follow this  
supersec

statementing

Help - I have a 3 1/2 year old who is not due to start school until September 2006 due to his birthday falling end of September.

I have been told that he will be statemented "soon" but have also been told that even if he has been statemented and we want him to go to a special school (we don't think he will cope with Mainstream as non verbal amongst other things) that they will take him but my hubby has been told that we will have to pay for his education ourselves until he reaches the school age. Kerching! local school is �25k a year. mmm don't earn that much.

He is currently in nursery (mainstream) but has one to one care (not happy with the nursery and certainly don't want him there for another year.

Is this right or can we get funding for him as soon as he is statemented - i get so confused. There is so much info out there that my brain feels like it is going to explode.

THanks Caroline

Caroline,

If a child is statemented it is the duty of the LEA to provide the provision on the statement. You say you have been told he will be statemented soon. Do you know if they have requested a statutory assessment? You can make a parental request yourself.

I think you should speak to an advisor at the NAS or IPSEA. Details of both are here.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=676

The ACE Special Education Handbook is a must for parents of children with SEN.

I would also advise you to get a copy to the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

You can find details on how to obtain them and other documents here.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=675

Good luck

Nellie xx

The statementing process can take up to 6 months to complete, which takes you into November unless it has already been started. I think, the LEA have a duty to provide full-time education from a the term in which I child is 5. That does not have to be the *best* education, just education appropriate to his needs.

I am presuming this special school is an independent one, in which case the LEA will not be keen on funding it. Do your LEA have any special schools of their own that cater for asd children? If so they will be wanting him to go there, unless you can prove it cannot meet his needs. LEA special schools sometimes have nursery years too.

Karen