patch83

Pulling hair out...

Does anyone have trouble with this?

When I was young I used to twiddle my hair till it got all tangled and then pulled it out. I ended up with a bald spot.

I think I did it because I was stressed out and anxious.

I have started to do it again recently and now have a noticeable bald spot on the top of my head

:tearful::(

yep it is due tp stress and anxiety it a natural body chemical release that decreases them feelings within you it's a form of self-harm : here some web links which may help explain your mental health condition further and give you more detailed information on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

http://www.trichotillomaniauk.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/min...ery_case3.shtml

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001517.htm

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=e...ed=0CEMQqwQwCg#

hope this makes you discover and understand yourself better and answer some questions you have surrounding this problem!

it is an addicition cycle as become such coping way out of things finding too hard to deal with at the time i actually self harm through cutting myself on and off for 7 years or so if need anyone to talk to i'm here

you live your life in secret scared someone will find out and it leak out to everyone but also means you have ulimiate power and control over how they think feel and do to themselves can be frustration too

alot time there's main triggers to reasons why you started began in first place sounds like best place to start would be going to doctors about it and seeing if they refer you to get some help with counsellor talk things through and work things out ... normally depression,anxiety or both can be one of them reasons but all background family isssues etc need exploring throughly and any other things that may apply to maybe why! also maybe the doctor /pyschologist can stabilise behaviour through therapy and also medication too maybe anothe route you can go down!

hope i make sense in what i say

good luck

take care

XKLX

did something major happen that you can trace back happen when you was younger? and has something happened in your life or how you feel to set you off on this negative addictive coping cycle again? does anything come to mind?like depression? etc

how do you feel afterwards? relieved but guilty bad .....???

what you feel when you doing it? relaxed tension disappears?

have you tried to get help and support in the past?

did you know is a mental health condition? - do you have AS/ASD do you know any form self harm is common in AS/ASD's peeps seems to be chemicals it produces within the body and brain!

XKX

the brain after you done 'the deed' produces a higher level of mood chemical called endorphins which make feel happy and good! and people with AS/ASD have been shown to have decreased level naturally already in their system so need 'topping up' in another artificial made up way! but to have maintain this through addiction in which become hooked and part of everyday life the normal thing to do also AS/ASD peeps seem to do this act to themselves my pyschologist can be because they have lower pain threshold than NT's ( normal) peeps out there

hope that educated you abit!

Yes, this has answered alot of questions.

I used to be picked on at school and always remember feeling tensed up.

Depression probaly was one of the reasons. I have AS, and self harm.

Lately have been having bouts of feeling unhappy but havent cut so have got into the habit of pulling my hair out.

Having done it I do feel sort of relieved but when I notice what has happened feel bad.

I will be discussing this with my doctor when I next see him.

Thanks for your help.

how long u been depressed for? and do you also cut as form of self-harm? i would discuss this with your doctor ASAP as need treatment whether it be talking therapies or some medication to help dampen the depressive emotions and feelings you have within your life let me know what happens at doctors what he suggests for you as best option to go down!

good luck

take care

ME X

sounds like you gone from one form of self-harm to another ( cutting - hair pulling) maybe you ran out of the happy buzzing feeling cutting gave when you started and wanted feel that again to tried hair pulling self harm you don't realise until you start first time is addictive traits to it just as strong as drinking alcohol taking drugs etc different type of addiction to hurting yourself to make yourself relieved and feel 'better' 'normal' for few seconds seems worth it but afterwards you feel dread and how could i even do that to me! i was bullied alot peeps that normal are bullied but higher cases seen in peeps with AS/ASD as we more vulnerable and peeps pick on weaker peeps which unfair and cruel i don't think you ever move on from feelings of being bullied for years lowers you self -esteem atuomatically then having AS on top of that and depression just adds more tom the load of why you'd be in situation you now faced as feel alone and struggling to ask aloud of proper help and support can be hard going as self harm such a secretive world behind closed doors especially when have mental health stigma and stereotyping too makes this task more difficult to speak up and how it is for you as get scared and afraid you'd be classed an attention seeker a weirdo a freak nothing more .....

sounds like you need realaxatiomn techiques to help you calm down and unwind from tension and stress in your life lavender the smell when rubbed into my skin helps me chill out as i struggle with same as you! may need to talk through some your major issues surrounding why you self harm like depression,stress/tension, bullying as all need 'coming out' your system you need someone to help you in raising your self -esteem slowly this may be an effort will be worth it! and also tips for helping yourself improve depression maybe worth mentioning

sounds like may can referred to adult MHT ( pyschologist/pyschtrist) to work out a support and care plan and go from there may be worth ring NAS or emailing and find out if they can give you any ongoing support and help in your life

did you have help and support with your self harm before ( cutting) ?

how long you been self harming for?

do you think it started because you was depressed /unhappy imserable due to bullying and this made you tense stressed?

how long you been stressed/tense depressed for?

have you been doctors about it before?

have you been on meds before for depression like ( anti -depressants)?

good luck with everything!

alot time people do self harm because they can express in words how they are actually feeling inside especially when you have AS this makes it very hard task to try and do especially when don't feel mentally strong enough to do this and just want to try and igorn it or run away from any problems you may have and blank and numb it out with self harm have you triedf distraction techniques with self harm ( cutting or hair pulling) watching TV listening to fav music, going for a walk, phoning or texting a friend , writing down thoughts, emotions/feelings even if make no sense whatsoever!, punching a pillow ,screaming loud , have a stress ball,

hope these web links help with finding other stories like yours to realise you're not alone in way your feeling even though i know feels like it at times like no one gets you and understand you and where you come from mya have tips /advice on here to help you out too!

http://www.psychforums.com/trichotillomania/

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp...541&a=15187

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/

http://www.nshn.co.uk/

http://www.psychforums.com/cutting-self-injury/

I had some counselling and talked to my Doctor about my self harming.

I started to self harm (cutting) in 2001/2, it started off as little cuts but then they became deeper.

I have always twiddled my hair and pulled it, but only recently has become more. School was a long time ago but I would say that I felt alone and confused, bullying probably made me worse.

I would say that when I left school in 1999 my depression has become worse, seem to have it everyday, bouts of feeling down and never knowing when I will be happy.

I see my Psychiatrist every 2 months and am on Venlaflaxin for depression but been taking it for 6 years now and I still get down and feel like I did when I first took them. :wallbash:

I had some counselling and talked to my Doctor about my self harming.

I started to self harm (cutting) in 2001/2, it started off as little cuts but then they became deeper.

I have always twiddled my hair and pulled it, but only recently has become more. School was a long time ago but I would say that I felt alone and confused, bullying probably made me worse.

I would say that when I left school in 1999 my depression has become worse, seem to have it everyday, bouts of feeling down and never knowing when I will be happy.

I see my Psychiatrist every 2 months and am on Venlaflaxin for depression but been taking it for 6 years now and I still get down and feel like I did when I first took them. :wallbash:

Hi i don't have an asd but i have always had this compulsion for picking out my eyelashes, i think it started when i was younger because i got an eyelash in my eye since then it as got worse it is a wonder i have any left lol but then for some reason i am then compelled to touch my top lip, yes i know strange, when younger i used to twiddle my hair and then suck it, probably got hair ball as well lol i was very anxious and didn't like groups, now i seem to cope better, i don't like change, and i also have this compulsions to pick my arms and legs, probably anxiety again... I do have bouts where i am worse and then i do funny noises as well it is like i can't help it. So it can happen to normal people too, oh and the counting in 4's and everything in its place, i come on here as i think my daughter may have an asd. Sharon x

Thanks for posting this - my daughter has been doing the hair twiddling pulling out thing and I wondered about self harm. She has been diagnosed with depression and will start CBT in April.

Carol

alot things you listed in your post sharon sound ASD/OCD disliking change being anxious,funny noises so self harming picking eyelashes not like large groups of people etc ??? is possible not only daughter have it you could too? as sounds likely possibility there in background?

XKX