Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Risperidone

Hi Glen has been on risperidone only a short time (nearly a week), his dose is 1mg twice a day. Glen is away at respite this week, but have been told that Glen's self harming (hitting his head) isn't getting any better. He is doing it at any time now even during meal times. Respite are managing to get Glen to School on the taxi which is something I hadn't been able to do. I had hoped though by now the medication might start to work or is it still early days? I would welcome anyones comments please thank you.

Hi

My son was prescribed Risperidone. Firstly, it can take up to 6 weeks to start kicking in. If after 3 weeks you notice no change, then it's worth going back to whoever prescribed it to see if the dosage needs to be increased. They do start off with tiny amounts and work up. I was also advised that sometimes Prozac is also prescribed at the same time because in some cases, people can appear more volatile until the Risperidone kicks in. Glen may still be headbanging because it's not taking effect yet. Give it a bit longer or it may be worth seeking medication advice on it.

Regards

Caroline.

My daughter was on it. A week is too short to notice a difference, at the very least you need to give it two.

K x

we are looking into prozac too for J, as his anxitieties are high, so agree with cmuir to maybe look into trying prozac too, but again this can take a good few weeks to get into the body, the rispirodone will help the adgitation and aggression but he may need additional support to help him feel more relaxed. Is he still taking Diazapam?

Is there any protection gear that he could wear tempary if he is this distressed, he sure will get a headache if he keeps bashing his head,this will then cause pain, then pain will then cause additional distress, so just wondering if he could wear a head protector or something? sorry if it sounds a mad idea as he hasnt got epilepsy but still he is harming himself.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Hi Js Mum not sure if Glen would wear head protection gear, not sure where I would get it any ideas?

I think the OT will measure and then supply a helmet. Would he keep it on ? It never worked with my son , he'd unstrap it , take it off , place it down, then hit his head on the wall, x

Head banging is often associated with vestibular (balance) problems.

My take on this would be that someone who had had repeated viral infections, wanted to lie down and not go anywhere and then was banging his head, should have his balance checked and his ears looked at. Has the doctor done this Jeanne?

cb

Would he keep it on ? It never worked with my son , he'd unstrap it , take it off , place it down, then hit his head on the wall, x

Sorry can't offer any advice - I think my daughter would do pretty much what Lisa has said - she changes from head banging to punching her face/head or both. Hope he calms down soon.

Take care,

Jb x

Hi I went to see the Glen's G.P. this morning to discuss the risperidone that the psychiatrist had put Glen on and he said it was quite a low dose for his age and build. I have to take Glen to see the psychiatrist next Wednesday and the GP said discuss it with her to see if she would increase the dose. Glen is only on 1mg twice daily. So hopefully it could be increased to 2mg twice daily.