Sign in to follow this  
dawnie

Yet Another Newbie!

Hi everyone

My name is Dawn and I have 2 boys. A 6 year old and a 3 year old. The oldest one has just been assessed for ADD/ADHD. They concluded that he had emotional and social issues regarding ADD and also hyperactivity. Also he has oppositional defiant disorder. The reason I have joined this forum is because I am convinced that he has mild Aspergers.

Ever since he was little, he's always on the go, never stops talking, always interrupts, is very bright and uses words way ahead of his years. His social skills are good but he lacks the ability to know what's appropriate and what's not and can think it's funny to encourage naughty behaviour especially to his younger brother (who doesn't show any signs of ADD/ADHD or Aspergers. I've looked at the list of symptoms of Aspergers and about 80% relate to him. He started school Sept last year and I had to take him out (my choice) to home educate him after 6 months because I had the feeling that he was finding it difficult to cope with the amount of children in his reception class (about 30) and he has a knack to latch on to the undesirable children who tended to get him in trouble then deny all knowledge of it and let my son get the blame. Obviously, he can't see what they're doing but as a parent it's quite obvious isn't it. Sometimes I felt over-protective but at the end of the day I wasn't having him being blamed for something he didn't do or say. Anyway I home educated for about 6 months before I couldn't take anymore. His behaviour got worse, with tantrums over the slightest thing. This led to a neighbour calling police and social services because she "thought I needed help".

Anyhow I finall managed to get him into a lovely village school that only has about 50 children in the whole school. But now I think he's latched onto someone else who is having an influence on him. I know that it probably is six of one and half a dozen of the other but the school seem reluctant to separate the two to see if this is the case.

Anyway, to cut a long story short,I wonder if anybody can offer any guidance as to how to go about getting an assessment and if ther's anything I can do (like keeping a diary) etc to support my case.

Thanks

Hi Dawnie,

Definitely keep a diary - it helps to demonstrate and give examples of the patterns of behaviour you've noticed. Your first step is usually a visit to the GP who can then refer you on.

This NAS sheet gives further information,

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=2376

Welcome to the forum, by the way,

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Hi

Welcome to the forum.My son is also six with a dx of AS and he is in Year 2.He has been excluded twice for bad behaviour and now does flexi schooling but hope to return to full time after easter.

I know exactly what you mean with latching on to one particular friend,my son also does this luckily most of the time the children have been very gentle well behaved children,though this is difficult in that if Sam hurts them its made far worse because they are such gentle kids.He is popular but does not understand boundaries.I think its hard because you cant exactly stop him from making friends,even if they maybe the wrong sort of friends,all you can do is teach him right from wrong if he learns at home then he is less likely to get into trouble.Also if that particular child was there before your son started I am sure the teachers already know what the other boys behaviour is like.My son came home one day and said "Do we have the XXX adult channels" I demanded to know the name of the child who told me and reported it to the headteacher.

Is your son getting support at school for his dx of ADD?Most schools have nurture groups and quiet areas these may help him when he needs to calm down or just get away from streesful situations.

Welcome

Im sure my friend rally man is more than ADHD, hes literal and obsessive for a start and they arent adhd traits.