Sign in to follow this  
WillsDad

Reaching Ricky video

When I took my son for Play Therapy it was kind of like that. They joined in a copied what the child was doing. Eventually, after quite a long time, the therapist would introduce something instead of always allowing the child to take the lead. It was wonderful to see how the children would eventually come to be able to accept something new.

I think there has also been some research into something called 'mirror cells' which is supposed to be about recognising and copying other people. I've seen on Youtube a parent playing with his son and he would copy everything his soon did, and then the son would copy everything his dad did. These skills are essential in all animals that are social because we all watch and modify our behaviour according to what the group is doing.

But it is work like that shown on this video that allows a child to maybe interact with someone on their level for the first time. It was very interesting.

I must admit that before my son was really verbal I did use to copy alot of his noises, movements, interests etc because that was the only way of interacting.

And as the woman said it is very important not to try to stop them doing the things they enjoy. I remember seeing Olga Bogdashina and her saying that we can do serious damage to a child by trying to stop them stimming, or other behaviours, just because we think they are not appropriate. The child is doing that for a reason and we need to at the very least replace one behaviour with another that serves the same purpose for the child. And we need to be very sensitive to what the child can/cannot tolerate. So often our children are turned out into the playground because it is supposed to be good for them. But you can see very clearly that for many children it is painful and frightening. The child is covering their ears for a reason. Too often we ignore what their behaviour is telling us because we are not perceiving or feeling the same as the child. Just because something is not painful or irritating to us does not mean everyone has the same sensations as us. When working with children with such difficulties you have to take as fact their behaviour is a reaction to what they experience.