Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Update - Assessement - TATC

Hi, just to let you know how the TATC meeting went regarding my son Glen. The Mental Health Assessment for Glen was discussed at the TATC meeting and it seems the place that was originally mentioned St.Andrews Health Centre in Northampton is felt possibly not suitable for Glen due to his 'special and complex needs'. The psychologist and psychiatrist from CAAMHS are looking into other residential places for Glen. There is another meeting in 4 weeks when hopefully a place and also when Glen will go will be decided. The psychologist did say once they've decided on the most suitable place for Glen it would only be the matter of weeks (approx 6) before Glen could go there.

Sorry to hear that glen cant go to St Andrews due to them not been able to meet his needs, that must of been very difficult but they are looking into a residential placement that can, and though it is going to take a few more weeks that expected it will be worth it in the end, far too many placements fail because the support wasnt right in the first place.

could they not offer any home support in the meantime or would glen get upset with new people in your home?

Sometimes finding the Right place takes time, as they say when getting a boyfriend you have to kiss a few frogs before mr prince comes along, hope that the services can find him the right one soonxx

JsMumxxx

Hi thanks J's Mum yes it is far better to get the right place than send Glen somewhere unsuitable. Lisa TATC means Team around the Child, its a new thing out arranged via social services. Every couple of months or so they are doing these type of meetings where all the people concerned with a child meet up and discuss how things are going and how best they can all help the child. In Glen's case the next meeting is 4 weeks away due to the urgency of his case.

Was that what you were expecting? If they mention Sybil Elgar please ask me. I have only positive things to say about it.

Hi yes it was what I was expecting really. Could I ask what does 'Sybil Elgar' mean? Would love to hear more.

Hi thanks J's Mum yes it is far better to get the right place than send Glen somewhere unsuitable. Lisa TATC means Team around the Child, its a new thing out arranged via social services. Every couple of months or so they are doing these type of meetings where all the people concerned with a child meet up and discuss how things are going and how best they can all help the child. In Glen's case the next meeting is 4 weeks away due to the urgency of his case.

In My area its called Multi Agency Team Meeting, YOU would think that all the agencys want to help the child but Im beginning to be spectical and judgemental, only because it was only last month social services where saying but arent school doing it, cant school do it, cant school do more, when its thier services that should be providing the support but arnt they are trying to get everyone else but them to support us, Im sorry if Im feeling envous of your team, sounds brilliant.

JsMumxx

Edited by JsMum

Sybil Elgar is a National Autistic Society school. My son goes to it. He's quite a challenge if you don't know what you're doing. About a third of the pupils ther are residential. It's in West London, so not too far from you.

Edited by call me jaded

Thanks Jaded, but its not a School where Glen will be going to its a Mental Heath Centre/Hospital where he can be assessed (residential) then decided what treatment they can offer. Obviously it will have to be somewhere where Glen will have education as well which is what they are trying to find.

Hi another update for you I chased up CAMHS today regarding Glen's mental health assessment. They have found a suitable place for Glen http://www.youngfoundations.com/ just given you the link but he would be in the Scotland based place. I have someone coming to see me tomorrow from young foundations to have a chat. If anyone knows anything about youngfoundations please let me know. If your child or you know of anyone who's child has gone there how did they get on etc? I really would apprecation any information you have, this is a big decision to make. We live in Chelmsford Essex and Scotland is a very long way away!

Hi another update for you I chased up CAMHS today regarding Glen's mental health assessment. They have found a suitable place for Glen http://www.youngfoundations.com/ just given you the link but he would be in the Scotland based place. I have someone coming to see me tomorrow from young foundations to have a chat. If anyone knows anything about youngfoundations please let me know. If your child or you know of anyone who's child has gone there how did they get on etc? I really would apprecation any information you have, this is a big decision to make. We live in Chelmsford Essex and Scotland is a very long way away!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I just wanted to send my thoughts as that must be a very big change for all of you to think about.

Karen.

Thanks Karen it is and I really don't know what to do.

Hi Jeanne, i looked at the link and it appears that they seem to know what they're doing. The complete change might be just what Glen needs and may bring out positive/different things in him . May be look at it as a kind of break for him, better than school! Would he be coming home weekends?

Glad to hear that there is progress being made with finding a suitable placement for Glen, but sorry to hear that it has to be so far away from home! It does sound like the Scottish placement would be a really good one. Having him so far away from home could work out well in the long term.

Edited by Tally

I'm not sure to be honest. It's so far away that there is no way we could get Glen home at weekends. As they do have 4 or 5 other houses which are a bit nearer I am going to ask the lady about those.

I'd just try to find out as much as you can about the place, and what is available. If the best services are in Scotland, then it might be worth sticking with that. Glen may have no idea how far away it actually is. So it maybe you feeling the distance more than him. But if all the places are the same, then would you consider a nearer one? And what if the wait was longer?

It must be a very worrying and daunting time. But there is just no way of knowing the future without trying it. So just try to get answers to your concerns, and just let it happen and see how it goes.

How will they prepare Glen for his stay there? And how long would he stay for? Is it a hospital environment? Is there sleeping accommodation available for parents there as well? Do you like the child to be with them for a set period before they have any visitors? Would he stay there all the time, or would he visit home? So many questions to ask. I just hope you get some answers and that Glen is happier in himself.

Hi I will be asking all the relevant questions today, she's getting here at 1pm. After looking at the website last night hubby and I do feel that it may not be the right place for Glen due to his needs and also it is too far away. Reading the information it did say the young person could be away anything from 6 months to 1 year, 4 years etc. thats not what we wanted at all. We want Glen to have a mental health assessment where we prepared that he would be away for a few weeks initially and then to take it from there.

Thanks Suze will let you all know how it goes x

I have to say I think I am changing my mind by what I heard today. Yes it is a long way away but I was very impressed with what I heard. The only space at the moment is in Scotland and it sounds so suitable for Glen. They only have 6 young people at their 'houses' so thats ideal. Glen has never been one for liking to be with a lot of people. They were so relaxed, if we decide we want Glen home we can take him anytime, its not like a contract that your signed into. The assessment itself is for 12 weeks but like they said if you change your mind within that period then you can go and bring him back. You can visit when you like whenever you can get there. I was really impressed with their very relaxed friendly approach. They also are experienced in autism which is another plus.

They have psychologists and psychiatrists there, a teacher plus several other staff. Each young person has their own care plan. They organise activities for the weekends/holidays etc. Overall I think it would be a good thing for Glen. It is still very difficult though for me as a Mum to kind of give my child away so to speak for a while but like they said you have to think of whats in the best interests of the child. I think as they did that Glen would adapt and wouldn't even realise how far from home he was. Its just me that knows that its a long way away and I have to get over that.

Anyway hubby and I are going to have a chat over Easter and decide what to do. The lady said she would speak to me next week.

Thanks ladies it is a big step but I have to think of Glen he needs and deserves help.

I've got to make my decision this coming week about whether I say yes to Scotland for Glen. It is a large house where Glen would be staying, only 6 youngsters and they all have their own bedroom. Looks really nice, but it still is a step to take! I have looked after Glen for 16 years and to suddenly not have him with me as a Mum is going to be so extremely difficult but I know I have to think of him and not be selfish.

Edited by JeanneA

Its a hard one Jeanne. Try and look at it as a break/change of scenery for Glen. It is only 12 weeks not 12 months. What would happen if he didnt go? It would be the same old thing , getting nowhere with school and the behaviour continuing. They seem very professional and the therapeutic approach sound great ,what an opportunity for him! He'll experience all different things, which might be just what he needs, x

Hi Jeanne

I think this would be a good oportunity for you and Glen.It must be dreadfully hard but I think I would agree to this for my son if it was going to be even slightly positive.I definatley think its worth a shot.

Is it possible for him to go for a visit first then he can meet the others? and try and explain to him what its all about,best to do it when you wont be to emotional be as positive as you can so he doesnt pick up on the fact you will miss him as this will put him off.Also explain when he will come home and when you will visit etc prehaps get a calender and write it down with him.

Also does he have to go for a long period straight away or can he go for a short stay i.e weekend see how it goes and then for the 12 weeks?

I think it will be hard at first but everything will turn out good for all of you :)

Edited by justine1

Thank you ladies, its so great to get support on here this is one brilliant forum :thumbs: Glen over the years has gone through phases of various behaviours, one is always replaced with another and in between he's been okish. So yes even if this will help him in the slilghtest then I know in my heart it is the right thing to do, but I also know it is going to be very difficult taking him there and coming away! Glen I'm certain will adapt well, as long as he is being looked after that is all that will matter to him. Glen is able to have the emotional tie to me if that makes sense? He's always been that way and also you could not explain to him when he would be seeing me next. Glen hasn't got the understanding to know what you are saying.

Jeanne , id feel the same, just expect it to be very hard at first . Can you hang about in Scotland for a day/night to put your mind at rest ? See him after he's spent a night there, then maybe visit after a week then two weeks and before you know it the 12 weeks will be gone. 12 weeks out of anyones life is nothing. If he didnt go, you'd always be thinking what if? Wouldnt it be great to hear he's making progress, :) x

Hi Lisa, yes we will stay in Scotland overnight we had already thought of that. Glen would need time to settle in though and that would mean not seeing us too soon after he had got there as it is best for him he would need time to adapt.