Sign in to follow this  
DMM

Confusing School Report

Hi, I've just received the school report for my son (11). After him spending an hout on Thurs with his psych, she told me that she doesn't feel the need to proceed with the ADOS (??) assessment as she feels he ticks enough boxes for a diagnosis, depending on questionaire from the school. School are keen for diagnosis as he's going to secondary school in August and at the moment he gets upset when doing group work and out in the playground. It's been so bad that they've asked me to take him home for lunch as he's getting so distressed in the playground. So, the report yest shocked me!! It's excellent, as i expected it to be as he's extremely well behaved and works hard, BUT.. it tells me how he enjoys group work, and works well with others???? I can't understand this and i'm now worrying that this is going to cause problems for the diagnosis. Any advise???

Hi

I can see where you're coming from. However, kids on the spectrum, particularly in mainstream schools, can do quite well with the structure which I guess extends to group work, etc. In simplistic terms, when the bell rings, kids know they've to line up – the ones that initially have difficulty with this often follow their peers. I can therefore see why some therefore conclude there's no issues with X, Y and Z, however, it's the structure and rigidity that helps. At home, things can be very different. I know my son's school have said that he has a good imagination – actually he doesn't. I've pointed out to them if they actually listen to what he's saying and watch what he's doing, he's actually copying what he's seen on TV – which doesn't constitute imaginative play. I think its worth clarifying/ellaborating on the fine detail of that comment if you feel it may crop up at a later date.

Caroline.

Thanks, i see what you mean and you're right, he can follow the group in the sense of lining up, etc. Maybe that's what the teacher was referring to. I just couldn't understand as she'd called me in before the holidays telling me how he was struggling with his group work, as in, the other kids, not the actual work, and said that as soon as the topics complete they'll be doing more work alone which will ease things for him a little. I've probably picked it up the wrong way. So glad i posted this before going in and looking like a fool. At least now i can ask if that's how she meant it.

Thank you so much.

Debbie

I would say "enjoys group work " and phrases like that are so common they are pre-programmed into the teachers computer and just added randomely to make teachers lives easier without them realising whose report they are working on. This happened to my son on several occassions at primary school, once when my friend was so pleased with her sons report she rang me and read it out, and i read the exact same stuff back to her from my sons report, and another when despite my son not being able to take part in day trips, the teacher put" He really enjoyed our day trip to Chester" !!! He never even went to Chester!! When i challenged the report she said o sorry they are already pre programmed and we just pick out the ones we want for each pupil but i made a mistake !! That was when i stopped believing a word they said at school!!

Hi

I agree with cmuir's post,it is also possible he could be "covering up"/trying to fit in with the others.Also the teacher may have spoken to him about participating more within a group,after you discussed this,and he may have been making an effort in the days/weeks leading to the report.

I do however think you should go and get it clarified,prehaps they can write in a separate letter explaining in detail what they mean by participating well in group work.Then at least you have something in writing.Insist they give it to you within 2 days of requesting it,it is not to much to ask.Check over the report and bring up any other issues you have at the same time.

Hi, I've just received the school report for my son (11). After him spending an hout on Thurs with his psych, she told me that she doesn't feel the need to proceed with the ADOS (??) assessment as she feels he ticks enough boxes for a diagnosis, depending on questionaire from the school. School are keen for diagnosis as he's going to secondary school in August and at the moment he gets upset when doing group work and out in the playground. It's been so bad that they've asked me to take him home for lunch as he's getting so distressed in the playground. So, the report yest shocked me!! It's excellent, as i expected it to be as he's extremely well behaved and works hard, BUT.. it tells me how he enjoys group work, and works well with others???? I can't understand this and i'm now worrying that this is going to cause problems for the diagnosis. Any advise???

I'm confused as to whose report is contradicting whom??

Is the school report contradicting the EPs report??

I would definately query it because if you have been asked to take him home for lunch then that demonstrates a major problem. So you definately don't want any report to say he is okay with social interaction and works well with others if that is not the experience. That is because any support is based on report findings. So if you don't question or challenge that finding then you have a report that contradicts any requests made for support during breaktimes/lunchtimes or any support he may need in the classroom to support him with group work.

So I would speak with school and the EP about this and would also put my concerns and everything discussed and agreed over the phone into a letter. You need to ensure that from now on you get everything in writing because anything verbal is totally unreliable and cannot be used at an educational tribunal.

I don't know about the ADOS assessment. Maybe others will post about whether there is a reason why this should go ahead. I would have thought that if it is only a diagnostic tool, and a diagnosis is obvious without using it then okay. But if the ADOS identifies areas of strength and weakness that maybe useful to know, then it maybe better to proceed.

Regarding going home at lunchtime. Although you may agree to this short term, it is not a solution. He needs support in school to be able to cope and he needs professional input.

I'm confused as to whose report is contradicting whom??

Is the school report contradicting the EPs report??

I would definately query it because if you have been asked to take him home for lunch then that demonstrates a major problem. So you definately don't want any report to say he is okay with social interaction and works well with others if that is not the experience. That is because any support is based on report findings. So if you don't question or challenge that finding then you have a report that contradicts any requests made for support during breaktimes/lunchtimes or any support he may need in the classroom to support him with group work.

So I would speak with school and the EP about this and would also put my concerns and everything discussed and agreed over the phone into a letter. You need to ensure that from now on you get everything in writing because anything verbal is totally unreliable and cannot be used at an educational tribunal.

I don't know about the ADOS assessment. Maybe others will post about whether there is a reason why this should go ahead. I would have thought that if it is only a diagnostic tool, and a diagnosis is obvious without using it then okay. But if the ADOS identifies areas of strength and weakness that maybe useful to know, then it maybe better to proceed.

Regarding going home at lunchtime. Although you may agree to this short term, it is not a solution. He needs support in school to be able to cope and he needs professional input.

Sally is right taking him home is not the solution!I have done flexi schooling (taking him home 12.15)with Sam since January.Yet he was still excluded and is still unhappy so nothing has changed.Now due to other pressures he needs to go back full time but the school keep making excuses and I literally have to beg for him to stay at least two full days!!!He is going through the statementing process though so hopefully it will work out.

Good luck.

Edited by justine1

Thank you everyone for all the advice. It was his end of year report from the teacher. I am waiting to meet with ed psych and school confirmed that he does enjoy group work and he tries hard but doesn't always fit in. She assured me when she fills the form in for the psychologist at the hosp, she'll be emphasising these problems. I totally agree that coming home for lunch is not the answer! I've been told he can come back one day a week as he goes to book club and won't be outside!!! He has never been excluded or in any trouble, his only problem is that he can't understand why if he plays football and misses (as he regularly does) the kids will shout at him. He then get so upset, they tease and he gets worse. The school tell me he overreacts to the situations, which i know is true, but what is minor to others seem to be major to him. I will go through all the advice given and take notes. I don't think the school are that bothered as he'll be away to secondary after summer.

Thank you all again

Debbie

Thank you everyone for all the advice. It was his end of year report from the teacher. I am waiting to meet with ed psych and school confirmed that he does enjoy group work and he tries hard but doesn't always fit in. She assured me when she fills the form in for the psychologist at the hosp, she'll be emphasising these problems. I totally agree that coming home for lunch is not the answer! I've been told he can come back one day a week as he goes to book club and won't be outside!!! He has never been excluded or in any trouble, his only problem is that he can't understand why if he plays football and misses (as he regularly does) the kids will shout at him. He then get so upset, they tease and he gets worse. The school tell me he overreacts to the situations, which i know is true, but what is minor to others seem to be major to him. I will go through all the advice given and take notes. I don't think the school are that bothered as he'll be away to secondary after summer.

Thank you all again

Debbie

Over reacting to 'minor' issues is something alot of parents here would identify with. But although it is minor to us, they are reacting to how it affects them. And when you don't have the language, emotional, social or interaction skills to cope or deal with it, then what do you do??

My son also loves football, but has twice had to drop out of football club because he just does not have the ball skills and so feels he lets his team down when he misses or kicks it to the other side. Infact the coach has to stop play to even allow him to get a kick of the ball. But what is that doing for his self esteem to realise that he is not as good as everyone else?

I can totally understand how hard it must be for your son. Mine either doesn't get picked to play, or ends up in tears. There's no chance of him getting on the team as they're extremely competitve and basically just wouldn't let him play. He is very aware that he could be letting people down. Im pretty sure that's why he finds the group work in school such a challenge. His self confidence is very low and he gets very anxious. The nurse has put him on inhalers for asthma but i'm convinced it's panic attacks as that's the only time he needs them. The psychologist at the hospital is starting him on coping with anxiety strategies on Monday so hopefully this will help a little. He gets passed by in school as he's well behaved and they've only now (age 11) agreed that he has these problems and are now rushing to look as if they're helping him??? i.e. sending him home for lunch. ??? The school has a social integration group that he's never been allowed to take part in. I enquired about it last year when i heard about it, and was told that if i'd said when he was younger, he would have benefitted from it. Surely it would help at any age!!! It seems to be one fight after another. I know when i read other posts that there are others a lot worse off but it does seem like the end of the world when you're constantly banging your head against a wall.

Thanks again

Debbie

Social interaction groups can and do continue through and into adulthood. But you need that specified in the statement. If school cannot provide that for him then they are not meeting his needs.

And why do YOU have to identify that he needs that. You are his mum not his therapist. However it is usually only parents that keep asking that get what their child needs.

What does the SALT and EP reports say he needs in school?

Does he have a Statement??

He doesn't have a statement, do we get them in Scotland? Sorry i'm not very clued up on these things? He saw the OT about 18 months ago who provided a posture pack and put a letter suggesting things that may help him in school, i.e. being first or last in line, allowing him to slip quietly out of class if he feels things are getting on top of him. He's never done this as it isn't part of the class rules so it wouldn't be right, in his eyes. She suggested they do an IEP, but when it hadn't been done several months later i approached the teacher who said she had asked the ASN teacher to arrange it. I went to her myself and she told me that he didn't need one, there would be no benefit to him! He's still attending speech therapy and the EP is only just involved to arrange seconary schooling for him. The hospital psychologist is going to speak with EP and also query the school report and the lack of support he has received over the years. On the plus side, the teacher has filled in and returned the questionaire, so all we need is it to have the correct info on it. You're right, i've had to query everything myself, ( i wish i had been pushier years ago). I even had to phone to find out which secondary schools had micas bases and was told the headteacher would have to call about it. It's now awaiting discussion with the EP. It's so frustrating as i've relyed on looking on this site for clues as to where we go next. Fingers crossed it won't be too long.

He doesn't have a statement, do we get them in Scotland? Sorry i'm not very clued up on these things? He saw the OT about 18 months ago who provided a posture pack and put a letter suggesting things that may help him in school, i.e. being first or last in line, allowing him to slip quietly out of class if he feels things are getting on top of him. He's never done this as it isn't part of the class rules so it wouldn't be right, in his eyes. She suggested they do an IEP, but when it hadn't been done several months later i approached the teacher who said she had asked the ASN teacher to arrange it. I went to her myself and she told me that he didn't need one, there would be no benefit to him! He's still attending speech therapy and the EP is only just involved to arrange seconary schooling for him. The hospital psychologist is going to speak with EP and also query the school report and the lack of support he has received over the years. On the plus side, the teacher has filled in and returned the questionaire, so all we need is it to have the correct info on it. You're right, i've had to query everything myself, ( i wish i had been pushier years ago). I even had to phone to find out which secondary schools had micas bases and was told the headteacher would have to call about it. It's now awaiting discussion with the EP. It's so frustrating as i've relyed on looking on this site for clues as to where we go next. Fingers crossed it won't be too long.

Sorry I'd not picked up that you are in Scotland. At the top of the Education forum there are links to information and places to get advice on SEN in Scotland. Many people posting here are in Scotland and can give more specific advice.

Regarding IEPs I would push for that and get professionals involved to agree he needs one. So talk to the EP or Paediatrician (whichever you feel is more approachable). What an IEP is going to do is to begin to show you his areas of difficulty and how he is making progress. At the moment you have no baseline or idea of what he needs to improve. But if his IEP details he has difficulties with social interaction, then they need to set a target and they need to put a strategy in place for how he is going to meet that target. See also how IEP targets should be SMART. IEP targets should be reviewed termly. If your child is not making progress then they need to look at the target again and identify 'why' he is not reaching it. If this continues to happen then school should seek advice from the relevent professional eg. EP or SALT or OT as to how they can help your son to attain that target.

So IEP targets help everyone to keep focused and stay on track and enable you to see progress (or lack of it) and ask for school to increase the support or intervention or strategy if progress is not being made. Without that you will have no idea of what is being done in school.