baranigirl

Help me understand?

The difference between HFA (High Functioning Autism) and AS (Asperger Syndrome)

Plus explain what PDD-NOS is and a few other terms batted about on here I am forgetting now :D

OCD I understand and I realise this goes hand in hand with being on the spectrum too, but as ever not in every case!

I understand Autism in the 'worst' scenario as I have often worked with children with ASD, but what exactly is HFA?

Hope I am not being rude asking, but have read a few posts and I 'know' my 4 yr old is not 'fitting' in as she should for her age group, I don't want to label her, but I would like to speak to the school in September about issues she has when she starts to ensure she gets a happy life at school regardless of whther she does has a problem or not iyswim

As I have often said her father (my DP) is awaiting psych referral for AS, but who knows when that will be or what the outcome!

My sons paed told me he has autism(ASD) she then said he is on the Higher functioning end of the spectrum this is because he can hold conversation(though his speech is advanced for his age)he is able to "make friends" but doesnt know social boundaries and generally he can do everything that a child of his age can do,but he just takes much longer needs more prompting etc.She then said it is Aspergers so to her HFA and aspergers is the same,but his actual dx is Aspergers,so I am as confused over these labels.For me I was not out to get a label for my son and if not for his trouble at school I may have not seeked a dx at this age(6) because generally he is fine at home,though he has always been sooooooooo different to my other three and knew theres a problem.If not for his dx I know he would be heading for trouble at school.

thanks Justine, thats kinda how I feel about DD3, she is soooooo different to her siblings, although the older 2 have a different father, until we had her brother I thought it was just because she had a different Dad, but her brother is so like the older 2 in behaviours, she really sticks out to me and her Dad and I have parented them all the same (right or wrong hehe)

Some people use HFA to mean a person at the higher functioning end of "classic" autism, while others mean the higher functioning end of the entire autistic spectrum (including AS).

PDD stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which means similar to ASD. NOS stands for Not Otherwise Speficied, and is a term used in many different conditions. It basically means the person appears to have the condition, but does not meet the diagnostic criteria for any one particular label. PDD-NOS can also be called atypical autism.

I think High Functioning Autism is used when there was a speech delay, children who appear to a have similar profile but were speaking by 2-3 are given the diagnosis of Asperger's. This is what I was told when my son was diagnosed, also a child at my workplace has recently been dx HFA and the psych said he wasn't AS as he didn't speak until he was 3 or more.

I hope this is correct :unsure: but I know there are others on here who can probably add more. The nature of autism being a spectrum can mean that there's such a range of abilities which makes things complicated sometimes.

Hope this is useful. :)

thank you all

so potentially someone can have several disorders or traits, yet never be diagnosed with anything as nothing is that 'bad'?

DD3 was late in speaking, but at about 2.5yrs it all clicked into place, although she still has trouble with he/she and correct pronounciation, she cannot say the letter R (she says W) or V (B )

She has daily meltdowns over the most trivial of things (like I refused her a cake cos she didn't eat dinner and she was still on about it 45 minutes later) and never wants to do anything we ask of her, or understand when I say no to food I mean no!

Today she went on all day about being hungry and needing food, she ate 2 breakfasts (adult portions of oatibix) then an apple, then grapes and apples from Boots in a little bag, then 3 biscuits at toddler group, followed by lunch of a slice of toast with honey 2 yogurts and a bowl of jelly, bag of sweets after all this she was still starving! This is all day everyday and she eats like this and more every day yet is skinny as a rake

yet she loves role play and is getting better with socail interaction on a one to one or two basis, she still hates too much hub-bub

Edited by baranigirl

I think High Functioning Autism is used when there was a speech delay, children who appear to a have similar profile but were speaking by 2-3 are given the diagnosis of Asperger's. This is what I was told when my son was diagnosed, also a child at my workplace has recently been dx HFA and the psych said he wasn't AS as he didn't speak until he was 3 or more.

I hope this is correct :unsure: but I know there are others on here who can probably add more. The nature of autism being a spectrum can mean that there's such a range of abilities which makes things complicated sometimes.

Hope this is useful. :)

That makes sense my son has a dx of Aspergers,he started talking early(babbling at 2 mths) and he has advanced language,he could say very long words from age 2 and talk in sentences,the paed sayss he talks more like an adult than a child of 6.I wont say he is a genius though,most of what he knows is from listening rather than "studying"/reading.I think he is bright but at the moment doesnt apply himself so he is actually average, this is what all the teachers say!

thank you all

so potentially someone can have several disorders or traits, yet never be diagnosed with anything as nothing is that 'bad'?

DD3 was late in speaking, but at about 2.5yrs it all clicked into place, although she still has trouble with he/she and correct pronounciation, she cannot say the letter R (she says W) or V (B )

She has daily meltdowns over the most trivial of things (like I refused her a cake cos she didn't eat dinner and she was still on about it 45 minutes later) and never wants to do anything we ask of her, or understand when I say no to food I mean no!

Today she went on all day about being hungry and needing food, she ate 2 breakfasts (adult portions of oatibix) then an apple, then grapes and apples from Boots in a little bag, then 3 biscuits at toddler group, followed by lunch of a slice of toast with honey 2 yogurts and a bowl of jelly, bag of sweets after all this she was still starving! This is all day everyday and she eats like this and more every day yet is skinny as a rake

yet she loves role play and is getting better with socail interaction on a one to one or two basis, she still hates too much hub-bub

Your daughter sounds exactly like my four year old :) He also started talking late,he does talk alot though but cant pronounce things well and has an almost slur to his speech,has to much saliva.His most severe meltdowns are over walking he just wont walk anywhere I have packed the double buggy so I force him now but he literally screams all the way!!!I have been told he is on the spectrum,but I know he is definatley not Aspie and hopefully have an appt in the next four weeks,he is on a waiting list.

She doesn't slur her speech, it is clear but she is timid to speak to anyone except family who can't shut her up, at nursery she is a selective mute. It just seems as though she is oblivious to anyone elses needs around her, yes fairly normal to a 4 yr old, but it is different

I forgot to mention her toileting habits have been awful, she never had a solid BM until she was 2.5 yet the HV said it was normal (have now realised she was probably milk protein intollerant like my son is) she has only recently become dry suring the day and does not understand how pull ups work at night, so she will fill them overnight with another BM (during the days she has several) and sleeps in it complaining in the morning she is sore.

The difference between HFA (High Functioning Autism) and AS (Asperger Syndrome)

Plus explain what PDD-NOS is and a few other terms batted about on here I am forgetting now :D

OCD I understand and I realise this goes hand in hand with being on the spectrum too, but as ever not in every case!

I understand Autism in the 'worst' scenario as I have often worked with children with ASD, but what exactly is HFA?

Hope I am not being rude asking, but have read a few posts and I 'know' my 4 yr old is not 'fitting' in as she should for her age group, I don't want to label her, but I would like to speak to the school in September about issues she has when she starts to ensure she gets a happy life at school regardless of whether she does has a problem or not iyswim

As I have often said her father (my DP) is awaiting psych referral for AS, but who knows when that will be or what the outcome!

i would prefer if autism wasn't described as a worst scenario as it is almost impossible to compare the conditions.

My sons paed told me he has autism(ASD) she then said he is on the Higher functioning end of the spectrum this is because he can hold conversation(though his speech is advanced for his age)he is able to "make friends" but doesn't know social boundaries and generally he can do everything that a child of his age can do,but he just takes much longer needs more prompting etc.She then said it is Aspergers so to her HFA and aspergers is the same,but his actual dx is Aspergers,so I am as confused over these labels.For me I was not out to get a label for my son and if not for his trouble at school I may have not sought a dx at this age(6) because generally he is fine at home,though he has always been sooooooooo different to my other three and knew there's a problem.If not for his dx I know he would be heading for trouble at school.

i feel it is misleading for professionals to use the terms "higher functioning autism" we as autistics and our parents understand that it doesn't mean can do things a higher functioning NT can do. With professionals however it is a different matter. It really means verbal and non verbal autism IME.

Some people use HFA to mean a person at the higher functioning end of "classic" autism, while others mean the higher functioning end of the entire autistic spectrum (including AS).

PDD stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which means similar to ASD. NOS stands for Not Otherwise Specified, and is a term used in many different conditions. It basically means the person appears to have the condition, but does not meet the diagnostic criteria for any one particular label. PDD-NOS can also be called atypical autism.

Before the aspergers diagnosis was well known people were diagnosed with PDD-NOS when today they would be classed as aspergers.

i would prefer if autism wasn't described as a worst scenario as it is almost impossible to compare the conditions.

sorry I know the wording was wrong, but I didn't know how else to describe the children I have worked with

sorry I know the wording was wrong, but I didn't know how else to describe the children I have worked with

I understand 100% what you mean by worst scenario.I felt like this when Sam got his dx,I thought he may have ADHD/ADD and I accepted this as his dx before he went to the docs.The reason is because my brother had ADHD,I say "had" because in my opinion he doesnt have it anymore,he was on retalin for five or more years from age 7 or 8,until mid teens.I know with many things it could be genetic so thats why I came to that conclusion.I also thought at least there are meds to help him calm down or concentrate better.

So yes,for me it was a huge shock when they said its autism.Again I like many other people thought autism is when kids cant communicate and cant do much for themselves,I also thought there are no meds to help him and nothing I can do.So I guess I thought he will have no future and thats that.However I dont have that opinion anynore,I first had to remind yself that the dx has not changed him in any way,he is still the same Sam,then I read up on everything and realised I just have to put more work into helping him succeed(I dont mean become rich or famous-just to eventually become independent.)Sometimes I get moments where I think,"Autism,he cant have that its just not possible" but I think this is normal with any condition/syndrome.

Apology accepted, i think we call it classic autism or low functioning autism.

I understand 100% what you mean by worst scenario.I felt like this when Sam got his dx,I thought he may have ADHD/ADD and I accepted this as his dx before he went to the docs.The reason is because my brother had ADHD,I say "had" because in my opinion he doesnt have it anymore,he was on retalin for five or more years from age 7 or 8,until mid teens.I know with many things it could be genetic so thats why I came to that conclusion.I also thought at least there are meds to help him calm down or concentrate better.

So yes,for me it was a huge shock when they said its autism.Again I like many other people thought autism is when kids cant communicate and cant do much for themselves,I also thought there are no meds to help him and nothing I can do.So I guess I thought he will have no future and thats that.However I dont have that opinion anymore,I first had to remind myself that the dx has not changed him in any way,he is still the same Sam,then I read up on everything and realised I just have to put more work into helping him succeed(I dont mean become rich or famous-just to eventually become independent.)Sometimes I get moments where I think,"Autism,he cant have that its just not possible" but I think this is normal with any condition/syndrome.

Why is it worse to have a classically autistic kid than an asperger? Classically autistic kids are more likely to be accepted into the learning disabled category. A self harming autistic is still an autistic with mental health problems asperger or not. ADHD isnt the same as classic autism.

Pleased you are feeling more hopeful for the future.

The whole field of diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders is a dog's dinner in my opinion. And that's before you get people trying to do a diagnosis with different perceptions from each other of what differentiates one sub-group from another.

My son has a diagnosis of 'autism' but meets all the criteria for Asperger syndrome apart from a speech impediment. Given that there is so much variation on the autistic spectrum, I'm not sure why there's so much focus on diagnosis anyway. Support is needed for the specific difficulties of each individual not support for the average individual with a particular label.

cb

Why is it worse to have a classically autistic kid than an asperger? Classically autistic kids are more likely to be accepted into the learning disabled category. A self harming autistic is still an autistic with mental health problems asperger or not. ADHD isnt the same as classic autism.

Pleased you are feeling more hopeful for the future.

I didnt say that its worse to have a child that is"classically"autistic than one with Aspergers :unsure: My son has Aspergers but I accept this to mean he has autism,so even though parent who has a "classically"autistic child may do more work to help their child than what I do for my son,we are still talking about the same condition- Autism!

As for ADHD in my opinion it has nothing to do with Autism it is not part of the spectrum,it may be a co-morbid as some people with ASD have ADHD as well.However you can also have just ADHD without having ASD as in the case of my brother and in fact my step brother,if that makes sense :unsure:

I didnt say that its worse to have a child that is"classically"autistic than one with Aspergers :unsure: My son has Aspergers but I accept this to mean he has autism,so even though parent who has a "classically"autistic child may do more work to help their child than what I do for my son,we are still talking about the same condition- Autism!

As for ADHD in my opinion it has nothing to do with Autism it is not part of the spectrum,it may be a co-morbid as some people with ASD have ADHD as well.However you can also have just ADHD without having ASD as in the case of my brother and in fact my step brother,if that makes sense :unsure:

Sorry i misunderstood, if you mean that autism is less understood than other disabilities such as dyslexia i agree with you totally there.

Sorry i misunderstood, if you mean that autism is less understood than other disabilities such as dyslexia i agree with you totally there.

Yes thats definatley what I meant :thumbs: I think as a parent that didnt know anything about autism to be told that my child has autism all sorts went into my mind.If I knew what I know now then I would never feel "this is the worst scenario" by the way to me a dx of a terminal illness would be FAR MORE a worst case scenario IMO.

And I think knowing there are so many children like Sam makes me feel so at ease,it would be worse if he was 1 of 6 with the condition.When a women is pregnant they give info on downs,cerebal palsy,spina bifida and more,I think it would be great if they give leaflets on autism and explain about the whole spectrum.

thanks for that interesting discussion, Justine you have kind of explained how DP's family have taken on board his situation and they all believed there was only 'classic or LFA' (much better terminology thank you Trekster) and his sister is a special needs teacher!

Am finding out more and more daily by coming on here and even though I was fairly clued up on somethings, I am clueless on others, because I didn't deal with it, however I have spotted 2 kids in my classes now both with AS and their parents have confirmed it since, so I guess I am also understanding more too.