Sign in to follow this  
KezT

excluded again

My son has been excluded again :tearful:

the school do only use this as a last resort, but he still doesn't seem to grasp the severity of the punishment. I have tried to explain about permenant records, and (as he is nearly at criminal responsibility age) criminal records and CRB's, but not sure he gets it still. I'm pretty certain he thinks its an extra day's holiday for him

does anyone have any ideas or know of any resourses that might help?

thanks

Sorry to hear this Kez.

ACE do a very good booklet called "Having a Say" - a young person's guide to exclusion. It's really for pupils who have been permanently excluded but you might find something useful in it.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/Resources/ACE/Mig...cuments/fbx.pdf

K x

Edited by Kathryn

It is very hard to explain this when our children often see staying at home as a reward not a punishment (schools often don't understand this).

Even NT children find it hard to relate to how things will affect them in the future.

I think you have to use your judgement as you know your child best

eg: if they really, really wanted to be a policeman/teacher/whatever, then they might understand the CRB bit

or if they really want to stay in the school, then you could tell them that the school might refuse to have them back.

When my youngest son was refusing to go to school, I had to tell him that if he did not go I would be fined or put in jail. That worked with him, but would not have worked with my eldest.

The school and I agreed that R would not be sent home - he was sent to another class with lots of work, because that was a punishment to him.

While he is at home, do you make sure he has a really boring time (no PC, lots of homework)?

Hi Kez :( -

No real advice, I'm afraid, other than to keep hammering home the messages about the long term implications and to echo Kazzen's suggestion about making sure a day at home is actually a worse option than being at school.

On the few occassions my son was excluded the latter was quite easy, because he actually wanted to be at school for playtimes and the lessons he did enjoy, but as they get older and move to secondary I think it can be much harder. Maybe that varies for some kids who find their 'niche' at secondary, but then i guess if he doesn't mind or actually enjoys exclusions that doesn't apply in this case(?) That said, sanctions can still hit hard even if their not related directly to the school timetable - No PC and lots of homework can be additional sanctions applied for behaviours leading to exclusion as well as just learning alternatives during exclusions.

It's good that this school only use this as a last resort, but worth talking to them again to see if they can come up with any new 'last resort' ideas as alternatives. A strain on everyone concerned, but if they could enforce some major after school detentions it would probably be a less attractive option than time at home, however strict you were about PC's and homework.

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D