Sign in to follow this  
Diane

fight for funding

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted (Sept 09).

I have a 16 year old son who is in his final year at school. He attends a PRU for kids on the spectrum. It is small unit 33 pupils. Since he has been going there he has had a very positive experience. He has been there a little over a year now.

Our problem is this. School have applied for funding to keep him on another year as he is not ready or able to access further education. County have agreed in principle that he and some others do need this but are not going to fund it as they say it is too expensive. They have accused the school of trying to be a sixth form, which they are not. What they are doing is addressing the needs of the children and giving them the support they need so they can eventually go onto college.

I am about to pen a letter to various key people and would like to hear if any one has had a similar experience and what they did.

Thank you all in advance

When I worked as an ISA I supported a child who was not ready to move on with her peers, so she was allowed to re- do a school year. In her case she re-did yr2. She then carried on through school system with the new yr group. She is now in Yr10 but her age means she should be in yr 11.

I suppose that is really what you are asking for, to re-do a year, but in your case Yr 11 ?

When I worked as an ISA I supported a child who was not ready to move on with her peers, so she was allowed to re- do a school year. In her case she re-did yr2. She then carried on through school system with the new yr group. She is now in Yr10 but her age means she should be in yr 11.

I suppose that is really what you are asking for, to re-do a year, but in your case Yr 11 ?

I had not thought of it as repeating year 11. Thank you. I will look into this.

I had not thought of it as repeating year 11. Thank you. I will look into this.

Hi

I think you should do what you think is right especially if the school will support your decision.I have the problem with my six year old,he has missed so much school this year that I feel if he doesnt move to a special school in Sept(we going through statementing)then he is better off repeating the school year.I have heard that it shouldnt be a problem so long as the school have the place,hopefully the LA will agree with your decision.

i reallyhope the pru your son is at can get the funding. its great to hear they dont want rid of the young people at the earlyist time possible. they have taken the time to find out what is needed and are fighting for the children, thats so good to hear.

Hi Diane,

Don't know if the following will give you any ideas; it is one LEA's policy:

6.3 Pupils with Special Educational Needs

a)• It should only be necessary in very exceptional circumstances for a pupil to be moved from their chronological age group.

In no instance should this be more than a single National Curriculum year.

• It is expected that retention of a child in a lower year group would be recommended only following discussion at a review meeting (either Annual review for a child with a statement of SEN or an internal school review for pupils at School Action+). These meetings will involve parents/carers and, usually, professional staff/LA representatives. If professional staff/LA representatives are not represented at the review there should be consultation before a final recommendation is made.

• Schools and involved professionals should satisfy themselves that the following apply:

• the pupil’s educational, social and emotional well-being will be best met through retention

• the Annual or SA+ review process recommends retention

• there is full parental support and agreement

• there is pupil support and agreement following explanation and counselling at a level the pupil is able to understand

• there are clear objectives and time scales to the change with plans in place to manage phase transfers and examinations if appropriate.

• The pupil’s IEP should document how the return to his/her chronological age group will be managed if this is planned

• If a SEN pupil moves a year ahead of their chronological age, the LA’s statutory duty does not end until the pupil is 19 years of age. However the statement lapses if the pupil transfers to a non-LA setting before the age of 19. Appropriate arrangements would need to be put in place for the pupil in the context of a sixth form or college of Further Education.

Also, as it implies above, I thought LEA's were duty bound to provide education to statemented pupils until 19? Not 100% sure, but I'm sure that's what I've read. So, can't see why your particular group of children can't be 'kept down' together for a year?

Best Of luck

Grace/x

Edited by Grace