Sign in to follow this  
soraya

How the other half live

Me and Nick have just watched this programme which had an 18 year old with aspergers. The young man was quite badly affected by his autisum, but the TV programme portrayed him as a very badly disabled person who would not communicate with anyone, he also had to have everything done for him and could not be left alone. They kept on saying "Aspergers syndrome" and Nick got really angry. He is trying his best to fit in with everyone at college, but he gets teased about his autisum and he thinks that everyone will think he is the same as the boy. The programme should have said that people can have various degrees of aspergers from mild to severe :wallbash:

I watched the programme to.While I uderstand the boy had Aspergers,he was also deaf so his communication was even "worse" because of this.Can you imagine if he is not making eye contact or looking at someone how can he hear what they are saying?How can he learn to lip read or sign?

The other thing is I noticed his mum waited on him all day long,even his younger brother and sister were caring for him.He spent all him time coped up in his room.I personally felt the mum wasnt doing enough to get him out of the house,youth club/college????How can it possibly be healthy to sit in a dark room playing games all day and night? I wouldnt be surprised if he is also suffering depression as a result.

The thing is they didnt explain about his other problems and it made out that kids with aspergers just sit in a room all day not communicating wih anyone, this is why my son Nick was so upset as he has aspergers and is nothing like the boy on the programme, and yet some people will assume that all aspies are like this

The thing is they didnt explain about his other problems and it made out that kids with aspergers just sit in a room all day not communicating wih anyone, this is why my son Nick was so upset as he has aspergers and is nothing like the boy on the programme, and yet some people will assume that all aspies are like this

They did say he was deaf,and his mum signed to him on two occasions,though he didnt sign back.I get what you saying though,and thats why people on here are getting "annoyed" at how people with ASD are being portrayed at the moment(LIke Young,autistic and stagestruck.)