I want a general view from you guys, is it worth applyig for DLA?

My son was diagnosed with AS a year ago, I was told at the time we qualified for DLA but I assumed, as my husband is on a decent salary, we would only get a small amount and so I didn't look into it.

I recently found out that DLA is not means tested so it doesn't matter what we earn. I looked at the form and it seems rather complicated :wallbash: . So what I'm basically asking is how much are we likely to get, worst case, and is it worth me battling my way through this form?

marie

Yes as if you get DLA you can apply for other benefits. The more DLA you get the higher the level of some other benefits you can achieve.

In the future he could apply for things like a disabled railpass (you can get a disable child railpass) if he needs supervision when outdoors. You arent going to know until you apply and also my income was treated separately from my carer so i was entitled to full financial help at uni, that was invaluable as i couldn't juggle working and studying.

I want a general view from you guys, is it worth applyig for DLA?

My son was diagnosed with AS a year ago, I was told at the time we qualified for DLA but I assumed, as my husband is on a decent salary, we would only get a small amount and so I didn't look into it.

I recently found out that DLA is not means tested so it doesn't matter what we earn. I looked at the form and it seems rather complicated :wallbash: . So what I'm basically asking is how much are we likely to get, worst case, and is it worth me battling my way through this form?

marie

Hello again Marie :)

Yes, it's definitely worth it! It is a difficult form to fill out. It might help to keep a diary for a couple of weeks, as it helps if you can give specific examples of his difficulties. The best way to approach it is to think of the worst-case scenario for each question. I found that made it quite an emotional experience, but you need to get accross to them how much more help he needs han a 'typical' child of the same age, and keep in mind that you are doing it to help him.

Also, keep a copy of the form, as it helps when it's time to renew. If you do get the middle or higher rate of DLA, you may also qualify for carer's allowance (a much easier form!!). CA is means-tested, but only for the main carer, not for he entire household income.

We have been able to give DS 1-2-1 swimming lessons and generally get out more as a result of his getting DLA, so I would go for it :)

Good luck and if you need any help with the form, just ask >:D<<'>

Receiving DLA is about so much more than the money. It is useful evidence that your son is disabled, which may entitle him to extra support. Most of the benefits are financial, for example, disabled railcard, concessionary ticket prices for days out for him and a carer. It may also result in a higher income from Carers ALlowance or tax credits.

I am an adult with AS and other health conditions. My DLA helps me because I get very tired and cannot drive very far. I use my disabled railcard to use the train more cheaply. It also helps with entry prices to places I could not travel to by myself, because I can bring someone with me to drive me, and it doesn't cost quite so much.

Even if money is not tight, it could help you afford some extras. If you really feel you don't need the extra money, you could even donate it to charity, but still use it as evidence that your son has a disability.

It is emotional having to fill in the form. For me it was difficult to see myself as disabled now, but in the long run it has actually enabled me to do more, thus making me less limited. The biggest thing is that it has enabled me to go part time, and now I am able to manage a lot more things like cooking and cleaning my home, and even have enough energy left to be able to go out for a walk most weekends and I have even started going swimming once a week.

Hi

I think irrespective of income, it's worth applying if you're entitled to it. I bank the DLA in my son's account for his future.

Caroline.

I hope this helps. I got awarded the middle rate of the care component and I have been put in a special care group but that is because I have other disabilities [dyspraxia and incontinence]. It DID take a while [3-4 months] before I got my award, but I think it is always worth trying. I also have been allocated a social worker. I also do NOT have to send in absence from work notes [every eight weeks] as I had to on ESA.