Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Exams

Two of mine are doing exams at the moment.

C is taking her GCSEs and is hoping to go to college in September. I mentioned her support needs on the form. She has no dx as such, but it is recognised she has a problem with her sequencial memory, so although she remembers things she has difficulty putting them in a logical order. She gets very muddled and loses, forgets things etc. We had a meeting with college and they have told us what support they can offer. They also asked me if she had support with her exams?

she doesn't, but I wonder if she should have?

My son (who is considered to be gifted and talented) is doing AS levels and was terribly upset that he's not doing as well as he hoped. He's also finding structuring difficult in exams. He comes over as very capable but finds some things hard and isn't coping as well.

I honestly feel pretty guilty. While I was a student, I was in touch with school a lot but I've been working full-time for about 18 months now and haven't heard anything from school. My daughter had an IEP previously but I don't even think one's been done since I started work! It's tricky phoning during work time so e-mailed the school but got no response and I need to take leave to go into school now. I'm really wishing I took a week off and badgered school about their exams last September.

My daughter took her first exam on Tuesday and was crying her eyes out because she'd lost her set book and needed it for the exam. I really wish I could afford to work part-time!

is there anything that can be done, or is it all too late? Is there some procedure for applying for extra time or support during exams? I'll need to set my stall out for my middle daughter who will be next to go through it. I just hope i haven't ruined their chances of passing their exams.

not directly relevant, but you know you are entitled to carers leave if your child is disabled? It's not all it's cracked up to be as most employers do not pay you! But it does mean that if you need to go into school tomorrow morning or whatever you can do so, and they can't refuse.

Sorry to hear both your children are suffering with their exams at the mo. My lad is taking his GCSEs at present too, so I know what it's like. I fear that it might be too late to arrange to get extra time for your daughter. My lad was awarded 25% extra time and it involved a fair few assessments and tests to see if he was eligible. Could your daughter retake next year any exams that she feels like she didn't do her best in, some college courses allow for retakes. That way, you could start the process of applying for an assessment now and by next year it could all be in place. Just remember that this isn't their one and only chance to 'get it right', they have years and years ahead when they could study and retake anything they want to. I keep telling my lad that it's not the be all and end all, if he fails English (which he will!), he can have another shot next year.

Best of luck, it's a stressful time, isn't it. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Sorry , agree with oxgirl, my son has a scribe, reader and extra time for exams, he is in yr 10 at the moment.These allowance,s have been assessed over the last 12 mnths and were,nt easy to get.School had to apply to the examining board.He only gets this as he is severely dyslexic in amongst the mix.Best wishes suzex.

I keep telling my lad that it's not the be all and end all, if he fails English (which he will!), he can have another shot next year.

I'm pleased to see that. It's the exact opposite view of my parents who got upset and distraught over my poor performance and bad reports in English at residential school. I told the school that I don't care if I fail English as long as I get good GCSEs in science and maths. I think it's better for kids to focus on what they can do well rather than spend time and effort on difficult subjects that could jeopardise grades in subjects they are good at.

I think it may be too late too. I agree with oxgirl, GCSEs aren't the be all and end all. Dd1 is doing her exams at the moment, she also gets extra time and sits her exams in a room away from the main hall, when possible. I let her drop english lang and lit as she really wasn't interested. She has done adult literacy and numeracy level 2 , but is taking GCSE maths. As she has been out of school for a while, she will have to take some more GCSEs at college in September as she wants to do A levels. Dd1 loves science and astronomy, so that's what I let her concentrate on. >:D<<'>

This describes in detail the support that can be given in exams and the process of applying for it, including the evidence needed.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/publishe...RASC%200910.pdf

It may be too late for this year but you could contact the person at your school who coordinates the exams. There must be a way of getting support in place at the last minute - for example for a pupil who breaks their arm and can't write, but they may take the view that the arrangements could and should have been made a while ago. No harm in asking, anyway, and at least you'll be prepared for next time.

K x

The school may have learning mentors or something similar? My son did rude drawings on his GCSE RE exam paper last week and he has Aspergers, so the school put a learniong mentor in place for him to keep him on track as it were.

You apply for extra time a long time before, but as said previously the school can pull out all the stops at the last minute to offer some support.

I work and am a single mum, a good tip is to email the school in the evening. Use the teachers name in the subject heading for example; (RE: Ms Jones, Maths) give your childs name, form etc and ask if you can ring in the day at a convenient time. Go to the staff room or loo if you have to and ring on a mobile (i have a cheap Asda phone because i do this a lot). I always tell myself that they would do the same if it was their child, and that gives me the courage to kick a**.

Remember you can find a way round things. Good luck Jx