Sign in to follow this  
NickyB

DSs New School

Hello everyone :)

As some of you know, DS is starting at an autism unit in September. We have visited a few times, and took him to see it last week. He loved it and can't wait to start :clap:

However, we did notice that it was in a bit of a state. It's in prefab building which was meant to be temporary, but has been there for decades. The playground and 'sensory garden' need to be sorted out as well.

There was an article in the local paper this week about a group of parents who are highlighting the state of the school, and I was shocked at what they said. Just a couple of things they said are that there are holes on the walls, the roof leaks, and there is no hot water in one of the classrooms. I knew it wasn't good but this seems appaling to me.

Once DS starts there, I think I will get in touch with the other parents as I want to try to help the situation. I don't think it's likely that the schoool will be rebuit anytime soon, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to improve the current state of it? I was thinking of suggesting we all get together to do something with the playground and garden, but any other ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Nicky >:D<<'>

Hi

That sounds like a good start,by working together it shows you not happy but not just having a moan you all prepared to work hard for the change.I think the playground and garden may not be too expensive,but if it is you can maybe approach local buisnesses andthe local newspaper to get some funding.

As for a new buliding..if all the mums and teachers sign a petition and write how bad it is you can then write to your MP.Keep doing so until something is done.

Although my sons school isn't that bad, but the building is very tired indeed. They continuously have an outstanding ofsted though mainly because they put their money into staff rather than the building.

Does the school have a PTA or Friends of Association? We fundraise to help make improvements to the school and we also apply for capital grants from the likes of Children in Need to improve the playgrounds etc. There's a lot that can be done with parental support - sometimes it just takes someone to get it moving!

Lynne

Thanks guys :thumbs:

I have been in touch with the chairwoman of the PTA throug their facebook page, and she is running the campaign to get the site rebuilt. She has invited me to their next coffee morning even though DS hasn't started yet, and she seems really nice. She also lives only a few streets away from me!

I have some ideas already, but I don't want to seem too pushy, so I will just go along and get to know them and see what they are already doing. The school was rated good at the last OFSTED inpsection, so i don't have any worries about the quality of the teaching at all.

I went to a superb primary school in the 1960s. Draughty Victorian building, infant class in a temporary hut, heated by a coke stove that was so hot when it was lit you couldn't stand near it. Outside toilets, hand-made work cards, stationery and equipment often cadged from parents and a local printer. Hot water only in one cloakroom. But the education was second to none.

cb

Hello everyone :)

As some of you know, DS is starting at an autism unit in September. We have visited a few times, and took him to see it last week. He loved it and can't wait to start :clap:

However, we did notice that it was in a bit of a state. It's in prefab building which was meant to be temporary, but has been there for decades. The playground and 'sensory garden' need to be sorted out as well.

There was an article in the local paper this week about a group of parents who are highlighting the state of the school, and I was shocked at what they said. Just a couple of things they said are that there are holes on the walls, the roof leaks, and there is no hot water in one of the classrooms. I knew it wasn't good but this seems appaling to me.

Once DS starts there, I think I will get in touch with the other parents as I want to try to help the situation. I don't think it's likely that the schoool will be rebuit anytime soon, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to improve the current state of it? I was thinking of suggesting we all get together to do something with the playground and garden, but any other ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

That brilliant Nicky :thumbs: At least there is someone on the same wave length as yourself,so you are sure to get somewhere even if it takes time.Plus you may make some friends along the way :D

The most important thing is that your son already likes the school,so any improvements made are a bonus :)

I went to a superb primary school in the 1960s. Draughty Victorian building, infant class in a temporary hut, heated by a coke stove that was so hot when it was lit you couldn't stand near it. Outside toilets, hand-made work cards, stationery and equipment often cadged from parents and a local printer. Hot water only in one cloakroom. But the education was second to none.

cb

Hi coolblue :thumbs:

Actually, the secondary school I went to had several portacabins which were freezing in the winter and always leaked :o I can't say the teaching was second-to-none, but I don't think that had anything to do with the buildings!

I am not concerned about the education DS will receive in the unit, as the teaching staff seem fantastic, and that is the most important thing after all. Just hoping I can help to make a difference in both the long and short-term :)