Plebius

Newly diagnosed dad and dauaghter.

Hello. My family are living in an upside down world at he moment, I have just been formally diagnosed with A S and dyscalculia at 56 and to our astonishment our daughter, 16, was formally diagnosed with asperger,s the week previously. It was only by reading a chance article on the net that I came realize that this could possibly be affecting me, though I suppose it should have been of no surprise when considering the amount of ###### that I and those around me have had to endure over the last decades. My daughter, 16, began to self harm at school and was subsequently diagnosed with asperger,s though again, looking back upon her past behavior, it does answer many questions. At the moment, I really feel for my partner. She has shown her distress though she tries to conceal it and keeps saying she feels the odd one out. I really don't know how to react. At the moment I have an unfamiliar feeling of calmness I wonder what will happen next?

Thanks

Hello! Welcome!

I think your partner needs a little time and space to adjust right now. As a partner I think the best thing you can do is allow someone to go through acceptance at their own pace - just because you are up and away with your running shoes on doesn't mean that your partner is.

My own husband was 'devastated' by our son's diagnosis and it took him a lot longer to get his head around things. He is one of those very driven people and here was something he could not work hard at and overcome. He now has much more empathy for others who are facing challenges and is a great dad.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure if you have any questions or need any adivce, people here will be happy to help :)

Both my parents had Aspergers, my mum is still around and my brother finds it difficult to cope with us both at times.

i think thats a completely natural reaction.

Hi and thanks. My partners very words, "I can usually sort things out by working at them, but not this". She is at the moment reading anything and everything about this and we do discuss the issue a lot. I know "now" that I can be quite insensitive so its like walking on broken glass at the moment. I think you are right that a lot of these feelings are to be expected and we all have to accept this.

Thank you all so much for your input and welcome, it is much appreciated.