Sign in to follow this  
chris54

CAF/TAC meeting.

We went to the first meeting today, a bit confused as it started out being referred to as a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) and is now being referred to as a TAC (Team Around the Child).

Anyway one of the outcomes is possibility of my sons involvement in a Buddying and Mentoring Service which appears to be just getting going in our area. Funding would need to be secured and its suitability looked into.

I found out about this service, no one else at the meeting know anything about it, it is operated by a charity, for the local council. I have only had minimal contact with them so far, so dont know if my son would meet the criteria but autism is mentioned in their information. It seems that its my job to sort out suitability, the funding is being looked into by others.

Edited by chris54

Hi Chris54 and 'Callmejaded' we are currently having a CAF completed and have been told the next step will be a TAC meeting, but not really sure what the point of it all is. I thought one of the 'professionals' involved would take the lead in organising things, but it sounds to me like its being left to you as a parent again. did paed come to your meeting?

Hi Chris54 and 'Callmejaded' we are currently having a CAF completed and have been told the next step will be a TAC meeting, but not really sure what the point of it all is. I thought one of the 'professionals' involved would take the lead in organising things, but it sounds to me like its being left to you as a parent again. did paed come to your meeting?

Your last point first, no, in our case there is no input from the community paediatrician, my son was seen by her about a year ago and at that time signed off as there is/was no ongoing issues that need addressing by her.

It was really based around school. Invited were, headteacher, form teacher, classroom support worker, school nurse, educational psychologist and our parent support worker who is the lead professional. It would be nice to think that it will all lead to something but I dont have to high an expectation.

As you say it all still seems left to us to get things sorted. But as I said to HT later at least his name is now in the system.

Your last point first, no, in our case there is no input from the community paediatrician, my son was seen by her about a year ago and at that time signed off as there is/was no ongoing issues that need addressing by her.

It was really based around school. Invited were, headteacher, form teacher, classroom support worker, school nurse, educational psychologist and our parent support worker who is the lead professional. It would be nice to think that it will all lead to something but I dont have to high an expectation.

As you say it all still seems left to us to get things sorted. But as I said to HT later at least his name is now in the system.

who initiates the TAC meeting? does the person that completes the CAF arrange it or is it just left to the school to decide who gets invited? and who chooses the 'lead professional' sorry for all the questions, but this is a new step for us and you seem to be a bit further on in the process.

who initiates the TAC meeting? does the person that completes the CAF arrange it or is it just left to the school to decide who gets invited? and who chooses the 'lead professional' sorry for all the questions, but this is a new step for us and you seem to be a bit further on in the process.

When contacted SS said I should ask school to call a CAF meeting, or at least a preliminary meeting to discuss calling a CAF meeting. It was agreed at the preliminary meeting by those present that our parent support worker would do the paperwork. She came to our home to do this and agree with us who should be asked to attend the meetings. At the meeting it was agreed by all that she should be the lead professional.

I think a lot depends on what is hoped to be achieved as to who attends and who is the lead professional.

Additional people can be invited to attend later meetings.

In our case it is support for our son out of school, to try and combat social isolation. And to try and achieve a successful transition from primary to secondary school next year. Both area that are covered by the remit of our parent support worker.

When contacted SS said I should ask school to call a CAF meeting, or at least a preliminary meeting to discuss calling a CAF meeting. It was agreed at the preliminary meeting by those present that our parent support worker would do the paperwork. She came to our home to do this and agree with us who should be asked to attend the meetings. At the meeting it was agreed by all that she should be the lead professional.

I think a lot depends on what is hoped to be achieved as to who attends and who is the lead professional.

Additional people can be invited to attend later meetings.

In our case it is support for our son out of school, to try and combat social isolation. And to try and achieve a successful transition from primary to secondary school next year. Both area that are covered by the remit of our parent support worker.

Hi i have just been through with a family outreach worker a caf form about 3wks ago for my youngest dd, she is currently 3yrs old and can be very hard work, her speech is still unclear a lot of the time although it is getting better but it is her listening skills and understanding which is behind, and another reason why i want her looked at is her older sister who is now 8 in August, was behind in speech and langauge by 2yrs which is normal according to the speech therapist, she is also 2yr behind in her education so it as had a large affect on everything she is also an extemely anxious child. So i am wanting my younger daughter not to go through what the older one as. I want my older one to be assessed by a educational psychologist, i am not sure what is going on but i know there is something wether it is dyslexia or what not sure, she does daydream alot and is very hyper and can be impulsive that is the nearly 8yr old. And both have reflux the youngest the worst. Sharon x ps spoke to younger dd's health visitor and she has already got her a hearing check and put her name down for speech therapy that is in a week of telling her about my concerns not heard anything from the caf meeting, in fact had a caf before but it was over a year old nothing done so you are right about paper work doing nothing.

my sons school initially recommended a CAF following self harm threats, parent support worker completed it with me and sent it back to school. my parent support worker can only offer limited time and has to finish working with our family by the end of term, so i guess she won't be lead. in the meantime a caseworker from the LEA9through parent partnership) recommended (and is arranging) the TAC meeting. as sounds similar to you sons main issues are social problems. he has further year at juniors before transition, but as things stand i don't see him coping with the noise and 'hussle and bussle' of secondary, however I don't think that these issues will be dealt with yet by TAC meeting - I am inclined to think they will all say 'lets wait and see how he gets on'. my TAC meeting is being arranged because school say they will offer things but nothing really happens. I think at the moment i just feel really negative about the whole thing as i feel like we've been to so many meetings and nothing ever really changes. I'm sure they all think it's us as parents in the wrong, because actually sons behaviour not too bad at school and its at home/siblings etc that we really struggle to cope with.