Sign in to follow this  
DMM

Refusal of MICAS Place...What Next????

My 11yr old received his diagnosis of ASD about 4 weeks ago and the psychologist recommended a MICAS place in secondary school. The ed psych put in the application and fully expected no problems with it. Yesterday i found out the place has refused as there were no places available. He has been offered a place in the asn base in our local school, but this was never an option with the ed psych as there are lots of kids with behaviour problems and my son would be terrified if anyone kicked off near him. She also worried that his education would suffer as he's doing really well academically.He has missed all the usual secondary school visits and is very anxious and upset about everything. The school he's at now are very supportive and say that they're taking it further. I think it'll be worthwhile seeing what is available at the local school in case any appeal falls through.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Debbie

I read your post and never heard of MICAS so googled it and found this incase others where interested, the article sounds amazing, just sad that this is the only one in scotland, Is there any chance his name can go on the waiting list? you could set up another Transition plan, so that he doesnt have to start in September straight away full time, in the asu unit, maybe request he has 1-1 when he is at the school to minimise his anxiety around children with Behavioural problems.

If he is anxious at this stage this needs to be expressed now so that plans can be put in place for when he starts to help reduces those anxieties he has.

I would defo set up a meeting with the senco of the school to go throw your concerns now, and put it in writing so they can be added to his notes, cerebra do a school profile to help the school working with your son understand him and he can share what he is worried about.

http://www.dyceacademy.aberdeen.sch.uk/micas.htm

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/Resources/Cerebr...ro-Forma_v2.pdf

I hope that things resolve soon, it sounds a great idea the MICAS.

JsMumx

I din't realise that MICAS wasn't well known. The article you read is quite old as we now have 5 schools in Aberdeen with these bases. Your advice sounds good. I've already had meetings at the local school at the end of last year, as we thought he would have to go there because we weren't hopeful of getting his diagnosis. They were really helpful and even recommended a Micas for him. They don't have one so 2 members of staff collected me and took me to see one at another school. (they were interested to see how it worked). It really did look great but wasn't an option at that time.

I think it's the fact that school here finishes 3 weeks today, and for one week of that he has a school trip. (if we can get him on the bus - get that far i think he'll be ok). So, really only have 2 weeks to play with. I do think i have to allow the appeal to go ahead but make contact again with the local school as a back up plan. I certainly have nothing against the school as my older boy is in 5th year and doing great, it's just not right for the younger ones needs. There is a waiting list he is on, but my worry is having to uproot him again, but then again if he doesn't settle it could only be for the best!!! Things never go smoothly do they. Thanks for the advice.