Sign in to follow this  
justine1

How many of your children attend afterschool club with a statement

Hi

When I went to see Sams new school they told me about the afterschool and breakfast club which appears really great.The head was very supportive saying she will see if Sam can attend because of my studies.It would help as he would arrive home 6.00pm.However the lady in charge of the ASD unit said as he would have a statement he would also need 1:1 at the club,she was also not sure how it would work with transport.So just wondered if anyone has experience of this?

I do have a childminder but really worried as she has four kids herself plus she will have Eli,not sure she will cope,esp as sometimes after school he can be moody,not agressive just whiny.He will only be with her an hour or so before I come but still worry.If he does go to her,is it possible to get transport to fetch him and drop him there? I have to leave 7.30am and suspect the transport will only come at 8.15am.And in the evenings I arrive 5.10pm,which is to late.

Any advice appreciated >:D<<'>

what kind of transport does he have? I assume a taxi could be booked for different times to fit in with after school clubs, but shared transport would need to be used at the correct times?

In the summer playscheme I do we have 1:1 support staff for children who come with special needs and these needs are a huge variety from learning difficulties / ADHD / ASD etc but it is all part of them being integrated into the playscheme

what kind of transport does he have? I assume a taxi could be booked for different times to fit in with after school clubs, but shared transport would need to be used at the correct times?

In the summer playscheme I do we have 1:1 support staff for children who come with special needs and these needs are a huge variety from learning difficulties / ADHD / ASD etc but it is all part of them being integrated into the playscheme

Thank you >:D<<'> Did the playscheme arrange the 1:1 or the parents? I believe it will be a taxi as right now he is the only one coming from this side,if it is a bus he is likely to be collected first as the others live closer to the school,not sure how many use the transport.But they did tell me there is a boy from here starting September so they likely to go together.Not sure what to expect as its all been arranged for me kind of in the dark at the mo :unsure:

Obviously not too worried now as I am here but September will be another story hopefully they will help me sort things for him.

I think it very much depends where you live.

In Hampshire, school transport are adamant they will only transport to and from the home address and will only provide transport for normal school times. Some schools have made their own arrangements for transport to take children home from after school clubs, the rest of us have to go and pick them up.

In Hampshire childminders and childcare settings can apply for "CHIF" funding (childcare inclusion fund) which will cover the childminder's extra costs (if she takes less children or needs to hire an assistant) or appropriate support at after school club. I don't know if this is a national thing. Here, they also are using some of the Aiming High money for this purpose.

The Childcare Act says that local authorities need to ensure there is sufficient childcare available for all children, including those with additional needs up to age 17 so I would be inclined to contact your local child and family information team (was previously Children's information service) and ask their advice.

Hope this helps,

Carol

I think it very much depends where you live.

In Hampshire, school transport are adamant they will only transport to and from the home address and will only provide transport for normal school times. Some schools have made their own arrangements for transport to take children home from after school clubs, the rest of us have to go and pick them up.

In Hampshire childminders and childcare settings can apply for "CHIF" funding (childcare inclusion fund) which will cover the childminder's extra costs (if she takes less children or needs to hire an assistant) or appropriate support at after school club. I don't know if this is a national thing. Here, they also are using some of the Aiming High money for this purpose.

The Childcare Act says that local authorities need to ensure there is sufficient childcare available for all children, including those with additional needs up to age 17 so I would be inclined to contact your local child and family information team (was previously Children's information service) and ask their advice.

Hope this helps,

Carol

Cheers Carol very very helpful >:D<<'> :thumbs: I did read up about the inclusion fund but couldnt find if it applies to our county.I will phone up the council and ask them sounds like a good idea.There is no way I can fetch him as its a 45min drive away and I dont drive!!!! I wont be at home from 7am and wont get back until 5.40pm so doubt they will fetch him that early or drop him that late,That is so unacceptable if they will only fetch and drop from the home address :shame:

Thank you so much :notworthy:

Thank you >:D<<'> Did the playscheme arrange the 1:1 or the parents? I believe it will be a taxi as right now he is the only one coming from this side,if it is a bus he is likely to be collected first as the others live closer to the school,not sure how many use the transport.But they did tell me there is a boy from here starting September so they likely to go together.Not sure what to expect as its all been arranged for me kind of in the dark at the mo :unsure:

Obviously not too worried now as I am here but September will be another story hopefully they will help me sort things for him.

Hey

The playscheme organise the 1:1 staff, on the basis the parents have requested a special needs place on the scheme, these places are obviously limited. What is more frustrating is last year the centre I was deputy at had over 40 kids attending and around 60% were families registered with social services and got free places for that reason, yet NONE of them asked for 1:1 support and at least 5 of them needed it!

Hey

The playscheme organise the 1:1 staff, on the basis the parents have requested a special needs place on the scheme, these places are obviously limited. What is more frustrating is last year the centre I was deputy at had over 40 kids attending and around 60% were families registered with social services and got free places for that reason, yet NONE of them asked for 1:1 support and at least 5 of them needed it!

Thank you >:D<<'> That is so frustrating :wallbash: Apparently none of the special needs kids go to the afterschool club that is why the HT and inclusion support teacher knew nothing about how it works,though she did say he would need 1:1 because it wouldnt make sense having 1:1 in school and not in the club,which I guess I hadnt thought about,only because the school he has been going to only has six kids with two staff at the afterschool and feel he would cope as it isnt structured like school times,noboby is forcing him to work etc.

I will find out more but at least I have a childminder as a planB.

Yes I 'm not sure I follow head teacher's reasoning. Probably best to speak to the after school club staff - they should know about any funding they can apply for if it's needed.

My son had 30 hrs 1:1 at mainstream school but has never needed 1:1 at after school clubs. I always used to explain his SN and they kept a closer eye but that's all.

HTH

Carol

Non of the after school clubs are ones that would interest my son but next year, apparently, there is going to be a new one, technology, which my sons name is top of the list. And no there is no 1-1 but they are only small groups so should not be a problem.

Non of the after school clubs are ones that would interest my son but next year, apparently, there is going to be a new one, technology, which my sons name is top of the list. And no there is no 1-1 but they are only small groups so should not be a problem.

Its not that sort of club its the "wraparound" care sort of afterschool care.Catering for children whose parents work 9-5.

Thanks emmasmum :thumbs: I am with you to be honest,I do think he can cope and actually may find the 1:1 a bit much,after all I have three other kids at home so generally he doesnt get 1:1 at home!!!!

I will call them next week once he has settled,he only starts Monday so I am thinking ahead really.

If the afterschool club is run similarly to the summer playscheme, the 1:1 help isn't always necessary and often the support staff will be 'grouped' in with the other staff, however the 1:1 support is then available when necessary for the participant if things get too much etc.

I have just been told my 1:1 support worker has been moved to another site as I have no SN applied for a place at my centre

Its not that sort of club its the "wraparound" care sort of afterschool care. Catering for children whose parents work 9-5.

On the same note, I'm now assuming that the mention of "Summer Play schemes" meant full all day child care and not what I first assumed was meant, the play schemes that are for 2 or 3 hours, am-pm each day.

Its all a bit confusing when they use the same names for things that are entirely different.

On the same note, I'm now assuming that the mention of "Summer Play schemes" meant full all day child care and not what I first assumed was meant, the play schemes that are for 2 or 3 hours, am-pm each day.

Its all a bit confusing when they use the same names for things that are entirely different.

our summer playscheme is 9-1 mon to fri 4 weeks of the holidays, but yes some are shorter and some are full day care round here

Hi

When I went to see Sams new school they told me about the afterschool and breakfast club which appears really great.The head was very supportive saying she will see if Sam can attend because of my studies.It would help as he would arrive home 6.00pm.However the lady in charge of the ASD unit said as he would have a statement he would also need 1:1 at the club,she was also not sure how it would work with transport.So just wondered if anyone has experience of this?

I do have a childminder but really worried as she has four kids herself plus she will have Eli,not sure she will cope,esp as sometimes after school he can be moody,not agressive just whiny.He will only be with her an hour or so before I come but still worry.If he does go to her,is it possible to get transport to fetch him and drop him there? I have to leave 7.30am and suspect the transport will only come at 8.15am.And in the evenings I arrive 5.10pm,which is to late.

Any advice appreciated >:D<<'>

My DS attends a mainstream school and will have a statement in place from September (he is 4.5 and has autism). He attends the breakfast club, afterschool club and holiday club at school with no problems at all. In fact, he really enjoys it as he is pretty much allowed to do what he wants as there is a lot less structure in school. He doesn't have 1:1 although the staff who run it are obviously aware of his additional needs and give him a bit of extra help where it is needed (i.e. at mealtimes and for toiletting issues as he is still in nappies).

I'm afraid I don't know anything about transport issues but I definitely think it's wrong that they are saying he can't go unless he has 1:1.

Hope you get it all sorted.

x