Sign in to follow this  
oracle

New Report on SEN

"I think what has happened is inclusion, which is a good idea in theory, is being very badly applied in practice.

...And there's the rub...

As for the 'over application' of statements - what can you expect if they remain the only possible means of getting needs met (well, at least, defining needs and indicating reponsibility for them - not quite the same thing!)

Inclusion has GOT to mean more than 'being there'... The ball's 'included' in a game of football, but it's not the sort of inclusion I'd relish...

L&P

BD

My own son is proof that for some, in his case a diagnosis on the Autistic Spectrum, mainstream education CAN work with little or no 'special provision'. For others, and I have BEEN PART OF THIS, little adjustments CAN make inclusion work. The biggest problem is for the children where more of an effort is needed. Then it boils down to the money - and THAT is where inclusion can go wrong, when the LEAs quibble over support because of 'funding issues'!

In many cases the inclusion of the child isn't the issue - it is the lack of funds to support the child that is the issue!!

I couldn't agree more.There needs to be real alternatives offered to ensure that childrens' needs are met.If it re-opens the debate,it can't be a bad thing.xx