Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Can anyone help?

Just wondering if anyone could spare some time to have a look over an essay. I need to submit it as soon as possible. It is seven pages long, but some of that is illustrations. (About 1950 words)

It is about the difference between a big cat and a small cat, and the evolutionary history of cats. You do not need to know anything about this, as I am confident with my subject knowledge; it's just the wording and my arguments I am worried about.

I am a little bit worried because I have to answer the question, "what is the difference between a big cat and a small cat?" and I have concluded that you can tell by the size . . . and that it doesn't really matter anyway.

Edited by Tally

"what is the difference between a big cat and a small cat?"

The size! :lol: Unless you can get big small cats and small big cats? :unsure:

Do they just want one difference (as would be implied literally be 'the difference') or multiple differences?

Small ones look cuter

It's easier for a small cat to attack you because you don't expect it

Small cats need less food (unless you want to turn it into a big cat)

Big cats don't fit in small cat baskets

Big cats might eat small cats but not the other way round - if you're unsure, put the two in a room together and the one left is the big cat :eat:

You can't play card games with big cats in the jungle...They're cheaters. :whistle:

Big cats have names like leopard, cheater and tiger, but small cats are usually called Tiddles, Fluffy and Whiskers

Small cats take their medicine with a syringe, big cats take it with a tranquiliser dart

Small cats feature on TV programmes presented by Rolf, Big cats on programmes presented by Mr Bellamy

If your cat shares your bed and you wake up a little flat, chances are you have a big cat

Only big cats (specifically tigers) come to tea :eat1:

The size! :lol: Unless you can get big small cats and small big cats? :unsure:

Do they just want one difference (as would be implied literally be 'the difference') or multiple differences?

Small ones look cuter

It's easier for a small cat to attack you because you don't expect it

Small cats need less food (unless you want to turn it into a big cat)

Big cats don't fit in small cat baskets

Big cats might eat small cats but not the other way round - if you're unsure, put the two in a room together and the one left is the big cat :eat:

You can't play card games with big cats in the jungle...They're cheaters. :whistle:

Big cats have names like leopard, cheater and tiger, but small cats are usually called Tiddles, Fluffy and Whiskers

Small cats take their medicine with a syringe, big cats take it with a tranquiliser dart

Small cats feature on TV programmes presented by Rolf, Big cats on programmes presented by Mr Bellamy

If your cat shares your bed and you wake up a little flat, chances are you have a big cat

Only big cats (specifically tigers) come to tea :eat1:

I love this Mumble :thumbs::lol:

Sorry Tally I am really bad with essays so wont be much help :(

Hmmm...

well I like big cats

And I like little cats

but which are better?

There's only one way to find out............

POME!

The smaller big cats

Are quite small for big cats

While the bigger small cats are quite tall

But the 'Tigon', or 'Liger'

(a crossed lion-tiger)

I'm told is the biggest of all

L&P

BD :D

Just wondering if anyone could spare some time to have a look over an essay. I need to submit it as soon as possible. It is seven pages long, but some of that is illustrations. (About 1950 words)

It is about the difference between a big cat and a small cat, and the evolutionary history of cats. You do not need to know anything about this, as I am confident with my subject knowledge; it's just the wording and my arguments I am worried about.

I am a little bit worried because I have to answer the question, "what is the difference between a big cat and a small cat?" and I have concluded that you can tell by the size . . . and that it doesn't really matter anyway.

I'd normally be happy to read thru it for you, but am off on holiday tomorow! I've gotan English degree (despite my atrocious typing skills on here!) so should be OK with the grammer etc..... Fel free to pm me if you want me to look thru future essays for you.

BTW - how did you manage to stretch out "big cats are bigger than small cats" into 2000 words?! That was always my problem with essays - I could answer the question in a paragraph LOL

Hi Tally

If you want to send it to me please do. I have just finished my post grad cert in aspergers - two essays of 6000 words and am waiting to hear whether my second essay is ok. I am really good at proof reading and structure and would be very happy to check it for you.

Stella xx

Hi Tally,

I'd be happy to have a look at it for you. I'm studying astrophysics at university and I've had plenty of experience of writing 3000 word essays for that!!

Lucy

Thanks everyone for offers, but I've had someone look over it now and got some helpful suggestions. I don't want to confuse myself, so I am hopefully going to tweak it and submit it this evening.

And the tigon is not so big. Liger is indeed enormous.

Glad the essay's gone well :thumbs:

And the tigon is not so big. Liger is indeed enormous.

What happens if you breed a tigon and a liger? Do they separate out again so they have tiger and lion cubs or do they end up really mixed up? :unsure:

Since one sex (I can't remember which) is sterile in both ligers and tigons, it would be impossible. However, you can breed them back with a tiger or a lion and the cubs will still be hybrids and have traits of the two species. Or you can breed them with a leopard and really confuse yourself. Most are miscarried or die shortly after birth.

?????????

I thought Tigons and Ligers were the same thing? Does the relative sex of the lion/tiger make a difference then? Weird!

I did know they were sterile, though (Ligons/Tigers), but thought that was both sexes too! You experts, eh? :rolleyes::lol:

Talking of cross-breeds I once crossed a leopard with a chameleon and got a leopard that can change its spots!

And I crossed a lion with a penguin and got a very chewy chocolate and caramel biscuit

Another POME

Recalling the tale of Androcles he approaches the creature with caution

But thorn or no thorn all the animal sees is a one lion ready-meal portion.

:D

Liger is the offspring of a male lion and a female tiger. A tigon is the offspring of a male tiger and a female lion. Males are sterile, but females are not. For a long while it was believed that all hybrids were sterile, which came as a surprise to zoos which did not separate female cubs from their fathers! It kind of calls into doubt the definition of a unique species, as only animals of the same species should be able to produce fertile offspring.

A male lion gives genes that cause its cub to grow large in the womb, in an effort to out-compete cubs of another male (a lioness can be pregnant with cubs from multiple fathers at once). The female lion's genes inhibit this extra growth, which helps as many cubs as possible to survive. Lions live in groups headed by one or more males, so a lioness is likely to mate with more than one male.

Because tigers are solitary animals, there is no need for any of this growth/growth inhibitor gene as a tigress is likely to mate with only one male.

So a liger has genes for extra growth from its lion father, but no growth inhibiting genes from its tiger mother, which is why they grow so much bigger than either parent. It is called growth dysplasia. A tigon cub receives no extra growth genes from its lion father, but growth inhibiting genes from the lion mother, and will not exceed the size of its parents and is usually smaller than either of them.

Liger is the offspring of a male lion and a female tiger. A tigon is the offspring of a male tiger and a female lion. Males are sterile, but females are not. For a long while it was believed that all hybrids were sterile, which came as a surprise to zoos which did not separate female cubs from their fathers! It kind of calls into doubt the definition of a unique species, as only animals of the same species should be able to produce fertile offspring.

A male lion gives genes that cause its cub to grow large in the womb, in an effort to out-compete cubs of another male (a lioness can be pregnant with cubs from multiple fathers at once). The female lion's genes inhibit this extra growth, which helps as many cubs as possible to survive. Lions live in groups headed by one or more males, so a lioness is likely to mate with more than one male.

Because tigers are solitary animals, there is no need for any of this growth/growth inhibitor gene as a tigress is likely to mate with only one male.

So a liger has genes for extra growth from its lion father, but no growth inhibiting genes from its tiger mother, which is why they grow so much bigger than either parent. It is called growth dysplasia. A tigon cub receives no extra growth genes from its lion father, but growth inhibiting genes from the lion mother, and will not exceed the size of its parents and is usually smaller than either of them.

:hypno::hypno:

Why thank you, Ms Attenborough, for such an interesting and enlightening seminar! :lol::thumbs::thumbs:

Talking of 'growth genes', though, I took Ben to buy some new shoes today and he's a size 9! :o:o

5ft 8, size nine feet and still a month shy of his thirteenth birthday! :o

God - seems no time at all since he was my ikkle baby and i would rock him and hug him and pet him and...... :crying:

Slow down, world... I don't want to get off yet, but some time to relax and enjoy the scenery would be very much appreciated...

:D