Buffy

Perfume Sensitivity

I have an hyperactive sense of smell and have been having problems with those "Automatic" Air Freshening units often found in washrooms in pubs, and shops etc.

I am afraid to go into the toilets on my own in case it causes me to faint.

Has anyone else experienced problems with things like this? How do you get round it?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated?

Buffy xx

I don't faint, but I do hate them as they are unpleasant for me. My mum loves them, unfortunately. I avoid the rooms that have them, and unplug the plug ins (and hope that she doesn't notice too quickly and plugs them back in!), and the one in the bathroom I turn around to face the window so that when it sprays it doesn't affect me as much as if it sprays into the room. I don't get what her paranoia is over the house potentially smelling bad, but the air fresheners aren't really too helpful ('freshener' - as if!).

Sometimes where I do find them particularly aggravating, I cover my nose and mouth with my t-shirt or sleeve/take a deep breath before entering the room.

I have an hyperactive sense of smell and have been having problems with those "Automatic" Air Freshening units often found in washrooms in pubs, and shops etc.

I am afraid to go into the toilets on my own in case it causes me to faint.

Has anyone else experienced problems with things like this? How do you get round it?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated?

Buffy xx

i had something similar with a member who smelled of wee attending one of our social groups.

i put a smell i can tolerate and that relaxes me under my nose, so a form of perfume i would

be able to tolerate as long as it's non toxic it should help.

Hmm, i have experienced something similar too with regards to certain smells, with cheap plastics and acylic carpeting (you know, like the stuff they put in offices) being the worst culprits.

I remember that a couple of years back, i was in the back of the car and my brother had one of those rubbish cheap twist off top drinks, the ones which allways had the smell of cheap plastics. I was in the back of the car so i couldn't get any air from the window.

I ended up being violently sick and passed out.

It scared my mum so much that she thought i had some kind of heat stroke, but it was those drinks, Yukk. ( I can smell the memory of them now :sick:)

another time, i was in an office at my local collage trying to see what they offer (not much as it turned out, i hate meetings :( ) and i became dizzy because of the smell the carpet had.

Other smells get to me too, the smell of alcohol gives me headaches and the smell of petrol makes me feel lightheaded.

Well, i tend to stay away from smells that make me feel ill.

So i don't really think there's much you can do other than mask it with something else, if you can't avoid it maybe a hankerchief with something nice smelling on it might help a bit :).

David~

Edited by Sunlit Vampire

i had something similar with a member who smelled of wee attending one of our social groups.

i put a smell i can tolerate and that relaxes me under my nose, so a form of perfume i would

be able to tolerate as long as it's non toxic it should help.

Hi and thanks for the info.

In relation to the above a friend suggested using one of those "Vicks nasal Inhalers". I used this about 5 minutes before going into a place that I knew I had problems with. My partner was with me just in case I had any problems but I was able to spend a good 10-15 minutes in the room without any ill effects. I could still just about smell the "perfume" but it was nowhere near strong enough to make me ill.

These inhalers are relatively cheap and are small enough to carry in a pocket or handbag and they can be used as often as needed.

Take care all

Buffy xx

Edited by Buffy

I'm not on the spectrum, but I have sensory issues.

Smells are a big problem for me too.

I cannot tolerate some scents, house cleaning products, hairspray, perfume etc makes me vomit.

Also the smell of plastics, especially inside cars makes me nauseous within seconds.

I'm also extremely travel sick unless I am driving.

When I was pregnant with my son it was a two bus journey to the hospital. I remember the number of times I had to get off the bus because of how someone or something smelt. I would just wait at the bus stop until the next bus came along.

Eventually the hospital gave me something for it and it did help.

I've never fainted or passed out. I just feel very ill. Sometimes I vomit and other times I get a migraine.

Hi and thanks for the info.

In relation to the above a friend suggested using one of those "Vicks nasal Inhalers". I used this about 5 minutes before going into a place that I knew I had problems with. My partner was with me just in case I had any problems but I was able to spend a good 10-15 minutes in the room without any ill effects. I could still just about smell the "perfume" but it was nowhere near strong enough to make me ill.

These inhalers are relatively cheap and are small enough to carry in a pocket or handbag and they can be used as often as needed.

Take care all

Buffy xx

Thanks that's something else i can use.

I'm not on the spectrum, but I have sensory issues.

Smells are a big problem for me too.

I cannot tolerate some scents, house cleaning products, hairspray, perfume etc makes me vomit.

Also the smell of plastics, especially inside cars makes me nauseous within seconds.

I'm also extremely travel sick unless I am driving.

When I was pregnant with my son it was a two bus journey to the hospital. I remember the number of times I had to get off the bus because of how someone or something smelt. I would just wait at the bus stop until the next bus came along.

Eventually the hospital gave me something for it and it did help.

I've never fainted or passed out. I just feel very ill. Sometimes I vomit and other times I get a migraine.

What did the hospital give you that helped?