Aster

A year out - some advice

Dear all,

This is my first post on this forum, and its going to incorporate a lot of elements that should probably fit into other sections of this site. In any case, I'm a diagnosed Aspie with a real passion for ancient history - I've been accepted into a great university to do it, but my obsession with it overrode a careful, methodical and balanced working ethic and student life. I've always found I've had one or two people to talk to, but gradually, over time, I just shut myself in my room, stopped going to lectures, and began to drink. I have a history of clinical depression, and my doctor wanted me out of university for a bit. I haven't dropped out - I'm still going to return after a year out, and resume my studies. My dream is to become an ancient historian - a course that I've followed unwaveringly for years. The academic staff are rooting for me, and want me to come back, but considering the job situation in most parts of Europe at the moment, it's hard to find anything else to occupy my time. If I just sit up in my room and try to study without any outside intervention or anything to do, it's all going to go to hell again. I can't find any work - voluntary or otherwise - to do. I can't seem to get into my work, and all my books on ancient history just taunt me - I want to pick it up and start working so much but at the moment it's just so hard to do that without any outside contact.

I posted the above on 'Wrong Planet', but I didn't get much help. I'm sorry if I'm appearing lazy by just using copying this on here, but I think it summarises my problem adequately, and I would really like some feedback. I'm in a really difficult situation here and I really need some advice.

Regards,

/Aster

Hi Aster, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time.

I think that finding something to get yourself out and meeting people is a really good idea. I realise that paid employment is hard to find at the moment, but it might be worth plugging away at that even if you try other things in the mean time.

Volunteering with a local archeological society may even be loosely associated with your degree. Wildlife reserves are often looking for volunteers, or you could search for your county's "Wildlife Trust." Some areas even have some kind of volunteer centre which help local organisations look for volunteers, so they might be able to help you find something.

Maybe you could try taking an evening class. Sometimes you can even get good prices if you are out of work. You could try something completely unconnected with your degree, IT, flower arranging, whatever you fancy. Learning anything new will keep your mind active ready for when you are well enough to return to university.

Or maybe you could join a club to do with an interest or a sport you like. There are often photography, walking or football clubs.

If you can at least get out of the house for a swim or to pop to the shops, at least that will mean you come into contact with other people.

Thank you for your advice :notworthy:

I think I just NEED someway to get some sort of social life outside of my work. I can very easily get very obsessive and spend whole days in my room just reading.

There are a number of archeological digs that you can helpout at in various countries - mst ask for some monetry contribution unfortunaely, butit would mean that you could try to find something that fits in with your subject passion.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-results/pg=1.aspx

i put in "adult social group" and "glasgow" into the boxes. i got a few social groups in your area.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/resources/2910.aspx

"Strathclyde Autistic Society, Services are based in Glasgow but can offer information etc to people throughout Scotland."

i will ask on an asperger forum to find out if anyone there has used their services.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-results/pg=1.aspx

i put in "adult social group" and "glasgow" into the boxes. i got a few social groups in your area.

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/resources/2910.aspx

"Strathclyde Autistic Society, Services are based in Glasgow but can offer information etc to people throughout Scotland."

i will ask on an asperger forum to find out if anyone there has used their services.

I appreciate the gesture, but I'm in Hampshire.