Sign in to follow this  
Tally

What to do?

I've been sent some stuff inviting me to attend a group "lifestyle Management Programme" for my ME. I want to go because I hope it will be helpful, and also possibly give me the opportunity to meet other people with ME.

I have been sent an agreement to sign, but I can't agree with it. There is a phone number to call if I have any questions, but no one ever answers it. I have to get the form back within a week otherwise I will lose my place.

The agreement says (amongst other things):

I understand the importance of a person closely involved with my daily life to attend a "relatives" session during the course.

No one is closely involved with my daily life. Most closely involved is probably my mum, who I see 1-2 times per week at her house, she does not visit me. She does not offer me emotional or practical support with my ME. It would be great for her to learn more about ME because she is always criticising me and trying to persuade me to do more, but she simply does not want to know. She also works on the day they would want her to attend.

Do I just sign the form and get it back on time, and argue about it later?

After all, I do understand the importance of her attending, even if she doesn't.

I wholly sympathise with your objections.

The question makes sweeping assumptions that everyone has somebody hovering in the background to give support and does not take account of the fact that many people live independently, don't have appropriate support or or simply don't want to involve anyone else in this particular issue.

That said, it may be simpler just to tick the box for the time being, just to move things along, and argue afterwards!

K x

Hi Tally

I agree with Kathryn :thumbs: I would just tick the box now and discuss the rest later.It is so rare nowdays that families are involved in each others lives,often they live so far apart.

I know this is different but I have often put my brothers name and number down as an emergency contact etc but he lives 13miles away and doesnt drive so its so unlikely he could ever help out,but its often a reqirement to fill out and so I just get it done.

You could always explain your situation and stress to them that you really need the advice and support.I am certain it wont stop you from attending the programme.

Hi Tally

I agree with Kathryn :thumbs: I would just tick the box now and discuss the rest later.It is so rare nowdays that families are involved in each others lives,often they live so far apart.

I know this is different but I have often put my brothers name and number down as an emergency contact etc but he lives 13miles away and doesnt drive so its so unlikely he could ever help out,but its often a reqirement to fill out and so I just get it done.

You could always explain your situation and stress to them that you really need the advice and support.I am certain it wont stop you from attending the programme.

As above, tick it and hope they don't notice lol! It is presumptuous of them to think everybody has someone closely involved :/ that's their issue to deal with not yours.

Hi Tally

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you started attending the lifestyle Management Programm for my ME as yet? and if so are you finding it helpful?

Teresa :)

No I don't mind you asking :)

It's due to start on 23rd September. I have not yet had confirmation that I can attend. If I don't hear anything I shall just turn up on the day and see if they will let me in!

I will be very happy to tell you how it's going in a few weeks' time, but I will probably forget so do remind me!