Sign in to follow this  
Jota

Yello

Hi,

Names Al and I was just diagnosed with AS a couple of days ago. I'm 45 and always knew something wasn't right but couldn't explain it until recently (last couple of years).

I always had the old 'desperate to be friends with people but struggled badly when I did' scenario but over the last decade there's either been an acceptance that it doesn't work for me or I've just lost the desire I once had.

I had terrible anxiety as a child (teenager and adult too!) and it grabbed the 'headlines' to me as it was overwhelmingly the most apparent thing to me. First diagnosis of anything was depression at the age of 24. A few years later a diagnosis of chronic anxiety and social phobia followed and each seemed to be the final word to me at the time. I thought, yeah, that must be it only for me to start having doubts a few years on. Reading more about things I began to wonder in the last few years as to whether I actually had AS and had this confirmed last week.

So, the psychologist advised me to have a look round the internet, since I'm on it so much anyway, for sites to do with AS to try and learn more about it and I found this place!

Hi Al, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS aged 25 after a series of mental health diagnoses, some of them probably accurate, and probably also stemming from AS-related difficulties.

Getting a diagnosis can be a funny time, but I hope it helps you to understand things and make steps in overcoming your difficulties.

Hi Al, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with AS aged 25 after a series of mental health diagnoses, some of them probably accurate, and probably also stemming from AS-related difficulties.

Getting a diagnosis can be a funny time, but I hope it helps you to understand things and make steps in overcoming your difficulties.

Hi Tally. I suppose I was a bit of a mess when I was younger which didn't make diagnosis very easy at all but knowing what it is now is some relief in itself. Onwards and upwards!

Hi Al and Welcome to the Forum. :)

Karen.

Hi Karen and thanks for the welcome! :D

Well come to the forum Al, I read your post with great interest as you are recently dx, and the past dx of anxiety and mental health issues first, it very common to be dx with these first, especially as most mental health services still dont understand AS and HFA, my son is on the High Functioning of Autistic Spectrum but he was dx with Anxiety Disorder when he was in mainstream primary school an enviroment that sent his Anxieties throw the roof.

So your post intersted me.

I hope that this website helps to bring further knowledge of AS and just a warm welcome hope to see you around soonx

JsMumx

Edited by JsMum

Well come to the forum Al, I read your post with great interest as you are recently dx,

Thanks JsMum. dx! There's another I should add to my newbies post in the General Forums!! What does it stand for? :)

Thanks JsMum. dx! There's another I should add to my newbies post in the General Forums!! What does it stand for? :)

dx: Diagnosed.

I dont know all of the abriviations, Baddad put a couple on some of my replies today and I dont know what they mean.x

JsMumx

dx: Diagnosed.

I dont know all of the abriviations, Baddad put a couple on some of my replies today and I dont know what they mean.x

JsMumx

What does x mean?

Only kidding! :lol: