Sign in to follow this  
mum of AS boy

'Socially Speaking' Board Game - any good??

I've heard about a board game called 'Socially Speaking' which I was thinking of getting for my 8 year old Aspie son.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Would you recommend it?

(It's kinda pricey so I'd love to know some views before buying it...)

Thanks!

Don't know it, but I had a quick shufti online and I'd be a bit wary - amazon list it as 'unavailable' and i found it at various 'educational' sites with prices ranging from $24.00 to a whopping $82.99! When you can find price differences that dramatic it usually means someone somewhere is out for a quick buck (and not necessarily the online shop) as most reputable manufacturers and distributors will have a reasonably consistant pricing policy...

I found one company, STA in Dublin, who show it on their website, but they appear to be an another educational supplier and don't show prices/may not ship direct(?) The only reason i mention them is because they also show a 'six pack' of social skills board games that might be a better buy and also a book called 101 games for social skills (which, incidentally, amazon list at eight and a half quid and which has four star + customer ratings!)...

As we're so near the school start of term I'd wait and ask the school to peruse the various catalogues they get from various suppliers - they may be able to get it for you cheaper, and may even get a discout price if it's one of their regular suplliers.

HTH

L&P

BD :D

I did see some games in real life and I know that some were not really suitable for under 10s (and some are very "american"). I can't remember if Socially Speaking was one of them - I can't find my notes at the moment. If you do a search there are probably some cheaper ones that are just as good.

A friend of a friend is loaning me this exact game (Just have to find the time to collect it) She speaks very highly of it and says it was one of the best things Santa has ever brought. She was using it for a 9yr old if this helps.

I have obviously not played it yet, so I cant give you my opinion. I think any game that helps even in what may seem the smallest way, is beneficial. If the cost is high then maybe get it as a birthday/Christmas gift or something. I will post on here once I have played it and let you know my views on it.

I'll be interested to find out what you think of it. I've been looking at the board game and trying to find out how useful it would be for my son and our HE group, but it is expensive and I don't want to fork out if it's rubbish ;)

I've seen the Socially Speaking book which is very good, but the advantage of the board game is that you wouldn't have to spend time compiling the exercises into something solid you can do with the child/ren. Also, with the game, a lot of children don't realise they're 'working' so that's another plus.

Karen

x