Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Paed appt for Statementing Assessment

Now thw LEA have finally agreed to Assess DS - we have been given a paed appt for Monday. It's not with his paed, who retired in the summer, but with a totally new one that we've never met & I'm pretty sure has only just got the job....

What can we expect from this appt? Is it basically a reassessment of the DX or is it more specific to school issues? Any tips as to what we should highlight to them, and what we should gloss over :rolleyes: ?

Thanks

The Pead for the statementing assessment is to document any Existing Diagnosis, with any traits, feature of any other possible dx and to write down any treatment such as does your son take medication, if so the pead will write down what the medication is for, the medications name, and how often, the Pead in my sons Medical noted down that he required supervision and he had no sence of danger and had impaired social and communication, that he had behavioural, emotional, mental health needs so it is important you get the pead to write down as much as possible so that these can be in your son statement once it is written.

It is not a reassessment of any existing diagnosis but to support your sons statement so ensure you do share as much as possible, if you have any written diagnosis take a copy to show the peadatrition.

JsMumx

Hi.

I Think Statutary Assessment includes a submission by a paediatrician so LAs usually have a paeidiatrician who is employed by the LA for that purpose.When Ben had his medical it was very brief.A quick check of information obtained from CAMHS,OT,SALT etc plus weight,basic hearing assessment and basic assessment of vision.

If you find that the paediatrician does not have information already then request they contact relevant professionals.Karen.

Hi the paed is all just part of the assessment my son had 2, one in 2008 when he got a note in lieu and one in 2009 after they ignored the note in lieu and we went for a statutory assessment again, they just ask you questions ,check thhe childs general health, weight , height, have they got asthma etc, and i found both ours really good, as both times their reports summarised all his needs on one report rather than having 5 or 6 different places talking about one part of his complex needs,and when we later needed evidence of all his needs for another reason ,the paed report was short and to the point and included everything , don't worry about this, it will be fine , good luck with the rest of the asessments too x

Our medical was REALLY basic. Just a few questions. Checked M's tummy (not sure why as no medical problems there ).

The Dr asked me lots of questions as she had no notes at all to work from.

The whole thing took less than 20 mins.

If you ring the centre where the medical is being carried out they should be able to tell you exactly what happens as they do a medical like this for every child who is undergoing the statutory assesssment process.

TBH it all seemed a bit pointless! The paed looked through his notes, asked all the normal questions about what he does/doesn't do, and I repeated pretty much exactly what I had written in letters, the statement request, and my parental report. The pead faithfully wrote it all down again. I'm sure she will write a good report based on what we said, but did we really need to go there and say it? She didn't speak to DS at all (I hope they behave differently with physically disabled children applying for statements!).

The whole thing could've been done by reading/submitting my original letter requesting a statement :rolleyes:

DS did his usual splendid job of acting incredibly autistic for the dr tho :whistle: He always does....