Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Inpatient Assessment

I have a very difficult decision to make regarding a inpatient mental health assessment for my son Glen 16 (ASD). Glen (if he were to go) would be going to a unit which is part of the Prudhoe Hospital in Northumberland. They only have 3 or 4 inpatients at a time, have their own bedroom, living room kitchen etc, the unit is basically like a bungalow. Glen would receive art therapy, sensory therapy and his medication would be looked into to see if he needs a different medication to what he is on now or whether the dosage of his current medication needs to change. Glen would also receive schooling daily.

12 weeks away from home is a long time. Northumberland is a 5.1/2 hour drive from where we are, we would not be in a position to have Glen home at the weekends, if you lived nearer then this would happen. I really don't know what to do, I have actually asked this morning if the assessment could be postponed until after Christmas so that Glen wouldn't come home in the middle of the 12 weeks as I am really worried that we wouldn't be able to get him back again. What would you do in my postition?

Hi JeanneA

If I were in your shoes, I try to do as much homework as I could and try and work out what the potential benefits would/could be as well as what the negatives could be. I know you've already agonised over this and done as much homework as you can and tried to look at other options. I think you've done the right thing asking to avoid the Christmas break, which would be a break in continuity. I'd be inclined to give it a go. There have been times when I thought, R won't manage that - not trying to be negative, but basing that upon past experience, and have been surprised. Glen may flourish. No one couldn't say you haven't tried you're very best.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Thanks Caroline, I appreciate what you have said. I have put some questions to the Northumberland professionals and will be given the answers later this week when the ring me.

I have been told by the social worker that this is the only option left to help Glen, so if I do say no I think I will definitely be on my own so to speak!

Jeanne if it was me i would honestly go with it . He may never have this opportunity again . There is nothing, no structured on going learning or anything meaningful for those with more complex needs once they leave school and you are just left with that . Twelve weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things . So i would make the most of what is offered now. If my son was offered something that might be of benefit to him I would take it wherever it was in the country , but I say this with hindsight . Good luck and you will make the right decision, x

Thanks Lisa for your comments, it isn't an easy decision particularly as it is such a long way away from us, but this chance will not come up again, so like you say 12 weeks isn't anything really it could be the best thing thats ever happened.

Thanks for all your comments. I have just found out that another parent at the school my son attends is going to have an assessment at the Prudhoe hospital, its not the same assessment as Glen will have but it would be good to try and get in touch with her to get her feelings on the hospital as she has been there to have a look around.

Before my son went to residential school I asked if I could be put in contact with a parent of an existing pupil so that I could talk to her about the whole thing. I found it really helpful, so maybe you could ask the hospital if they could do something similar for you with the parents of someone already at the placement?

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid :)