Sign in to follow this  
Tes

Saying hello.

A brief intro. Two years ago I knew nothing about Aspergers, now I live with it in some form 24 hours a day, but only because I now know what it is.

Married with four darling children. The eldest child, a daughter, now aged 24, researched Aspergers a couple of years ago to try and make sense of herself and the symptoms could have been written around her. Perhaps one day I'll tell the story. It is now apparent that my teenage son exhibits behaviour attributable to Aspergers but, amazingly, my husband of 26 years now makes sense! Loved him for his idiosyncrasies but it's not been easy at times, especially since I'm a very sociable person. Again, another story. I think the most amazing thing about finding out about Aspergers is it's like the missing jigsaw piece, suddenly everything you've been through fits together and makes sense. It's all so glaringly obvious!!! Are we going for formal diagnosis', probably not, what's the point? By the way, I haven't shared my thoughts with my husband, but I might. I might need to since my initial search was related to Aspergers and marriage.

It doesn't end there.

I'm also a primary school teacher and have recently pushed for a child to be assessed further, based on what I have learned. I have downloaded information from the National Autistic Society, which I used to support my concerns. It also gives worksheet material to support the children's understanding. But I have so much to learn since I have never taught a child with Asperger's before. Actually, sadly, I probably have but never knew what it was.

At present I have put a buddy in place for him and considered a circle of friends but until there is a diagnosis there is very little else I can do. There is a supportive ethos in the class where we are all here to learn, be that maths, skipping or making friends and we all need to help each other. No man is an island etc. As such the kids around him are as understanding as ten and eleven year olds can be. But it's not easy. I have told him I'm looking out for him and he'll be okay but I could be wrong about the whole thing, especially since the parents seem to think I'm talking a foreign language. To me it's so apparent.

By the way, my daughter has just send off her UCAS application for Medicine. So proud of her.

Anyway, this is me, this is my life. I hope to be able to grow in knowledge about this fascinating syndrome and also have somewhere to share my worries and perhaps help others.

Hya

Quote "I think the most amazing thing about finding out about Aspergers is it's like the missing jigsaw piece, suddenly everything you've been through fits together and makes sense. It's all so glaringly obvious"

Exactly how I feel, although its been a more recent discovery for us.

You must be so proud (studying medicine) sounds like both your own and the children you teach are lucky to have you!!

Hi, Mikeysmum, thank you for the welcome. They should rename this site Oz ... can't find my way back! Have been on a week's break and my 'to do' list hasn't come out of the bag. I'm at that stage where I'm hoovering up all the information I can, reading advice, people's experiences, etc. Can relate to so many. You'll know what I'm talking about. I'm physically stopping myself from saying anymore because I'm one of those people who could talk for Scotland! Just a wee thank you.

Hi Tes and welcome to the Forum.

:)

Four years ago Ben's teacher was talking to me and was brave enough to mention that Ben reminded her of her son.She explained that her son had being diagnosed as being on the ASD spectrum and she wondered about Ben.At the time many friends thought it was a frankly strange idea.

After much debate Ben was finaly diagnosed with AS about eighteen months ago.My husband was saying just today how time passes,we would not think of Ben not having AS now.....several thousand posts here later. :D

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's about 3 years ago now. I think my mum would relate a lot to your post, because through learning about Asperger's it has become apparent that my dad may also have it. We have mentioned it to him and he completely dismissed the idea, but even so, learning about Asperger's has helped my mum understand him better.

My mum is a teacher in a secondary school and had heard of Asperger's, but never made the connection with me having it based on what she already knew as a teacher.

My brother is studying medicine. He is 25 years old now, and just starting his 2nd year. He is really enjoying his course, but it is an extremely demanding subject. He has found that being that bit older than the other students is quite beneficial to learning, but he has found it a bit of an obstacle making friends. He is a very sociable type and gets on with all different types of people, but he does not have close friends on his course. His best uni friends are through clubs he has joined. Good luck to your daughter with her application!

hi and wellcome, where are you from and where is your daughter hoping to go to university?

i am 30 and was diagnosed with AS age 25 iam now at university in essex training to be a speech therapist. i wish your daughter the very best of luck.

A brief intro. Two years ago I knew nothing about Aspergers, now I live with it in some form 24 hours a day, but only because I now know what it is.

Married with four darling children. The eldest child, a daughter, now aged 24, researched Aspergers a couple of years ago to try and make sense of herself and the symptoms could have been written around her. Perhaps one day I'll tell the story. It is now apparent that my teenage son exhibits behaviour attributable to Aspergers but, amazingly, my husband of 26 years now makes sense! Loved him for his idiosyncrasies but it's not been easy at times, especially since I'm a very sociable person. Again, another story. I think the most amazing thing about finding out about Aspergers is it's like the missing jigsaw piece, suddenly everything you've been through fits together and makes sense. It's all so glaringly obvious!!! Are we going for formal diagnosis', probably not, what's the point? By the way, I haven't shared my thoughts with my husband, but I might. I might need to since my initial search was related to Aspergers and marriage.

It doesn't end there.

I'm also a primary school teacher and have recently pushed for a child to be assessed further, based on what I have learned. I have downloaded information from the National Autistic Society, which I used to support my concerns. It also gives worksheet material to support the children's understanding. But I have so much to learn since I have never taught a child with Asperger's before. Actually, sadly, I probably have but never knew what it was.

At present I have put a buddy in place for him and considered a circle of friends but until there is a diagnosis there is very little else I can do. There is a supportive ethos in the class where we are all here to learn, be that maths, skipping or making friends and we all need to help each other. No man is an island etc. As such the kids around him are as understanding as ten and eleven year olds can be. But it's not easy. I have told him I'm looking out for him and he'll be okay but I could be wrong about the whole thing, especially since the parents seem to think I'm talking a foreign language. To me it's so apparent.

By the way, my daughter has just send off her UCAS application for Medicine. So proud of her.

Anyway, this is me, this is my life. I hope to be able to grow in knowledge about this fascinating syndrome and also have somewhere to share my worries and perhaps help others.

Hi, I thought i was reading about myself when i read your post......the jigsaw piece .....i have been saying that since my elsest son told me he thought he had aspergers....i have 4 children 31,25,21 and 11 ....all have aspergers/autism traits... at the moment im waiting to see CAMHS.....as my 11 year old son is showing signs of aspergers i ahd to take him out of school as he couldnt cope with it....i ahve home tutor at moment....my daugher has problems talking to people making conversations very emotional etc., .....im hoping i will get some support for myself and son when he is dx ........it makes you look at people and everyhting in a different way ...lindy

Thank you all for getting in touch, it's really appreciated. I had written a reply but I'm going to post it elsewhere for discussion, but not sure where yet.

Tes