Sign in to follow this  
Bluesbreaker

Budget cuts, Recession and Disabilities

This was to be a reply to Call me jaded's topic about the spending review, however, i felt my contribution warrented it's own topic in order to stop any derailment of 'Jaded's topic.

-----------------------------------------

What i find distressing is that there seems to be a lack of real known support for trying to get moderate and Severe disabilities (Whether they be autistic, other mental or physical) into employment.

I did some thinking, those who are classed as Disbaled people have a somewhat less chance of gaining some form of employment. Why? I hear you all cry.

Well, firstly there's god knows how many unemployed now and that figure is set to increase soon and that means in reality, that the compnay's and employers have the pick of the people, and I am still certain that even though we have legislation in place to enable equality, it is being ignored particularly through the likes of online application forms. you look at some of these internet forms and see how many ask what kind of disability you have. not many ask what type or what the disability is and as far as I am concerned this is the pure reason why many Aspergers, Autistics and other disabled people cannot get jobs, Even if the job suits the capabilities of the candidate (for example, a Wheelchair user completing clerical and office work as opposed to working as a builder).

My point?

If the government stop cutting funding and stopped cutting this and that and used things wisely, then the state could give support to Disabled people in order to get work as in many respects, this would save the government some money (I know DLA isn't income assessed... yet...) as the disabled people may be able to hold their own and have a bit more dosh to survive on.

Discuss.

i shouted at the tv "tighten up the DDA then people like me can find work". Im really annoyed

that im being pushed into finding an unsuitable job and that is damaging my mental health.

i want to work but if employers aren't even going to interview me under 'guaranteed interview

scheme' i dont have a chance.

It's a very difficult situation. The government wants to get as many people as possible off benefits and into suitable jobs. It all seems very sensible. But there are so many non-disabled people unemployed at the moment, where are all these extra jobs for the disbled people going to come from?

thats the thing, We aint got a cat in hells chance the way it is now.

The other month i landed a casual contract matchday job at the Leicester Tigers Stadium, which I am proud to work at... anyway it's typically a 6-8 hour shift so all I get is 35 quid on average per shift, and some months there's only one or two matches so its a case of wow i have 60 quid to live off.. I have to pay for musical Instrument gear and maintanence and that isn't cheap these days... and since its for college its very important...

anyway yeah, So much for the garunteed scheme, i think there either needs to be a 'watchdog' or a reform act in order to keep the companies adhering to the regulations from all angles, it won't cure the problem, but it will give Disabled people an edge.

My wife has been on incapacity benefit for over 11 years now. In that time she has been on at least four, "Get you back to work" schemes. All had a promise of a job at the end of them, all came to nothing. I think it would be right to say that we are less than optimistic about what is in store.

The enthusiasm that she had in the early days of her disability, regarding work, have some what evaporated.

Oh, by the way, it was the jobcentre who first told her to go on incapacity benefit when she was unemployed after we moved. Their office was 2 floors up with no lift and she couldn't make it to the top.

From a financial point of view, as her incapacity benefit is counted as income for other benefits, not sure what impact stopping getting it would have on things overall.