Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Christmassy Cards

Just been watching QI and they said (if it is to be believed) that the average number of Christmas cards sent by each person is 150. :o

Well I'm obviously helping to keep this average down, but I don't know anyone who sends that many, which means there must be some people who send a lot more than 150. :o

Does anyone here send more than 150 cards? I don't even know 150 people to send cards to!

Also, the population of the UK is about 61,500,000. With an average of 150 cards sent each, that's 9,225,000,000 cards just within the UK which is a lot of trees!! :o:shame:

Not me, but my dad sends well over 150. Most of them are to people he has met through work. He often bumps into people he knows when we are out. He knows a lot of people! I bet people like the prime minister have to send a lot of cards.

Me, I send about 40 I think. I receive less than this. Some of these are not to people I really know very well, for example last year I sent a card to all 6 houses in the terrace where I live. I only got one back. I think I will give it one more go.

I never post any christmas cards but I have given to friends and family.I tend to get cards that say "to all of you" "from all of us" for my family,so it saves me buying individual cards. I reckon I give about 15/20 at the most. I know where I worked before I got about 30cards I only knew 6 of the people who gave them :shame:

This year I am at Uni so who knows as I have made quite a few friends.

Luckily my mum is jewish so dont send her a card,though I do send her an e-card for hanukkah.

I don't think I personally send that many: together as a family we send a lot when I think of my other half's work colleagues, and son's classmates etc but I doubt it adds up to 150 though.

K x

I don't think I personally send that many: together as a family we send a lot when I think of my other half's work colleagues, and son's classmates etc but I doubt it adds up to 150 though.

Ah, but it's 150 each... so you, OH, son and daughter = 600 cards :o I guess that's what I'm finding even harder to comprehend, how this works with families. Even if you buy cards in boxes of 20, that's 30 boxes, and I've never seen people coming out of the shops laden down with boxes of cards. :unsure: And by the time you've put a stamp on each, you'll be bankrupt! :lol:

Daughter sends one to each class mate so that's 28. At work and at church we've started to do a noticeboard where you send one card to encompass everyone there and then put a donation into a charity box to cover the money you've saved in not buying cards. It stops us all getting really tired hands writing cards backwards and forwards to one another and saves a few trees too. Lots of people agree that card sending can get out of hand and there's that danger of forgetting to send one to someone you receive a card from - deadly!!

The girl who sits next to me at work told me she has "managed to get her christmas card list down to 150 this year" :o

I have never sent a christmas card in my adult life, and my OH hasn't since he met me, which is 18 years ago this Xmas - yet we still get 20-30 sent to us each year - some from people we don't know/can't work out (if you sign your card "John", with no further info, it makes things difficult :lol: ) The Indian take away I used once, several years ago still sends a card each xmas, which actuall rather annoys me....

My kids usually send one to each classmate and each teacher. I am going to suggest to the school that in the interest of the environment they should encourage kids to send one card to the whole class - it could be stuck up on the wall or something. Save the trees, and stop all the "I got more Xmas cards that you did" bullying :(

If it was down to me the Christmas care industry would cease to be. My wife on the other hand more than makes up for that. She is part of a "Club" that just exists simply to send cares to each other, with cares for all seasons.