Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Anyone in Beds or Bucks?

Hi, I'm trying to check out schooling in Beds or Bucks and wondered if anyone out there has experiences they could share? Please reply by PM, if so!!

I'm particularly looking for a mainstream secondary school (DS1 is coming up to 13, in Year 8) with good practice in supporting Asperger's (Yeah, I know it's like looking for the Holy Grail but you never know... and it can't be worse than his current school!!!)

I understand that some Beds and Bucks secondaries have autism bases but there's not much info on the internet; can anyone clue me in? If anyone has personal experiene of one of these schools, what's it like outside the base? - I'm not certain that DS1 would need a space in a base but needs a school with a sound understanding of autism and expertise on site.

Cheers,

Lizzie x

Hi

I am currently in Beds,Sam attends a mainstream with ASD unit attached it is in Barton Le Clay, 40min from where we live. The LEA are very good,the statement came through very quick and without a hiccup.

I am in the process of moving to Bucks,I did live there for 6 yrs but not sure about the ASD support.I have heard there are alot more support groups and schools vary greatly.I spoke to the SEN officer from Bucks(Aylesbury) on Wednesday and she has said there are no mainstream schools nearby which cater for ASD kids,though there is are two special schools with ASD units. I do know of a boy with AS who goes to a mainstream school with 1:1 in Aylesbury and the parents love the school but I dont like it!

Just read again that you looking for secondary.I know a grammer in aylesbury with unit and I believe there are some in Beds as well.There are middle schools in Beds so if he is in yr 8 now it would mean he has to finish this school year in middle then move to upper school.I would contact the SEN teams in both counties.

Edited by justine1