Sign in to follow this  
lil_me

BBC1 now, Panorama on Risperidone

Thanks for pointing this out to me, i had a very dangerous reaction to the stuff.

Was this the documentary about dementia? It appears to me that Risperdal is the blanket drug given, from 5 yr old autstics to 80 yr olds with dementia or alzheimers.

Was this the documentary about dementia? It appears to me that Risperdal is the blanket drug given, from 5 yr old autstics to 80 yr olds with dementia or alzheimers.

Hi

Yes it is used for various ages but what we need to remember is that in a childs case it is the parents decision as to whether or not they take such drugs. Everyone knows all drugs have side affects and generally doctors do explain such affects,though TBH lots of parents do their research before even going into the doctors room.

The programme showed that social services and GP's did support the families choice not to medicate their loved ones, so I am certain if a child was showing a reaction to the drug they would be removed from it.

Having worked in various care homes I would say administration of medication varies greatly.I saw some residents with dementia that clearly needed medication do to their aggressiveness and others who clearly did not need any medication at all. I found even with something as basic as pain killers it was over used. Unfortuantley it is to do with communication between GP's and the care team at a home.Cant pin point where the blame lies.

Family members can often give a very different account of how their loved one behaves compared to that of a care worker. I know in all the homes I worked it was rare to see family members visiting, about 10% visit every weekend, 20% once a month, 18% quartley( birthdays,xmas,easter,mothers/fathers day) and 50% once a year (or not at all) and only 2% a few times a week. My point is dementia can change someones behaviour very rapidly and if not medicated can be a danger to themeselves and others,if family dont witness this how do they know what is really going on???

Just my views.

P.S Alzheimers is a type of dementia,its not one in the same thing.

Yes it was primarily about dementia patients

Trekster my family member thought initially they were having a bad reaction, dribbling, unable to keep their head up, more depressed etc but now knows this is a common effect

It was stated on the programme the medication was licenced as a 'last resort' when all other treatments had been tried but yes as pointed out some seem to be using it as a blanket policy for silencing Carers as it turns who they are caring for into a relatively vegatitive state. Totally wrong IMO.