Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Very Bad Cat

Mitzi has really excelled herself today. She bit my face really hard and my immediate reaction was to jump back. Unfortunately, Mitzi would not let go and she was still stuck to my face. I had to put my hand in her mouth and pull her jaws apart.

I am really upset that she did this. It's a huge step back to how she was when I first got her 6 years ago. I have no idea what triggered it today. I feel like all my hard work has been a waste of time.

I have 4 big gashes on my face, and I'm sure it's going to come out in a nice big bruise by the morning. It only hurts when I smile, so as long as I remain miserable I should be OK.

It only hurts when I smile, so as long as I remain miserable I should be OK.

Don't make a joke, Mumble, don't make a joke... :ph34r:Knock, knock...

Is it wrong that I formed a cartoon image of a cat, super-glue and yourself in my head? :unsure: Sorry. :oops: Perhaps, you should ask the cat expert of the forum for some advice... :whistle:

I don't know a thing about cats, but could the weather today be a problem? I know you're not too far away from where I live, and we've had terrible gales today, it's been really noisy. :unsure:

That's wierd, even for a cat....

Our parrot bites my dad all the time, and My Dad is like the parrot's chosen best friend of the household... anyway Billy bites dad as our species of parrot like to test boundaries and what they can and cant get away with etc. With cats i dont think this is the case, but that's really wierd...

Hope your face doesn't swell up too bad and hope it heals swiftly as well as not affecting your eating. >:D<<'>

Ouch! Hope you heal quickly!

Do you think it could be the weather? Arty and Pixie were both in very strange moods yesterday, tearing around the house and squabbling with each other. The wind has calmed down now and they're back to normal.

Cats most definitely like to test the boundaries! Mitzi didn't really have any until she came to me at six years old, but she met her match with me.

Cat + superglue + my head is probably a fairly accurate picture of what happened.

Mitzi is terrified of wind and rain, so a noise from outside might well have frightened her. As well as that she won't go outside in the wind or rain, and lack of exercise seems to turn her into a quivering wreck and increase her aggression. I live right on the top of a big hill so it does get pretty windy up here.

I am having a new back door installed soon, which I can put a cat flap in, so I think she will settle once she can go in and out as she pleases.

It does not look too bad today. I tried to cover it up with make up, but it didn't work so I washed it off again. I'm not very good at that girly stuff.

awwwwww that must be sooooooo painful :tearful: Hope you wont be too sore tomorrow. I am sure Mitzi will be forgiven.

Mumble I love the way you turn a drama into a comedy :thumbs: I hope Tally didnt laugh too much,ouch!

Hi Tally

It does sound like she was stressed poor thing but biting is still a fairly unusual reaction - if she's still aggressive today I'd consider getting her checked over by a vet to make sure she hasn't got something sore or something.

Also, if she broke the skin when she bit you and it sounds like she did, you might need to get a tetanus shot to avoid infection.

Lynne x

Mitzi has always been aggressive so this is not a new thing. But quite this level of aggression is not something I have seen for a few years now. When she was like this regularly I would never have let her anywhere near my face, and it was normally a mouthful of jeans she got, so I never really ended up hurt from her.

I don't really know her history other than that her owners gave her up aged 3. I don't know the reasons, but after 6 years with her I can see quite a few very valid ones. She spent the next 3 years attacking everyone in the cats home. She is extremely nervy, which I think is the cause of her aggression. She has improved massively with both the anxiety and the aggression, so I'm hoping this was more of a one-off than a setback. She has seemed pretty much OK since.

She hasn't really been bothered by the fireworks this year. This happened in the morning and a few days after I've heard any going off, so I don't think it would have been the fireworks.

If the new cat flap does not help I am going to take her to the vet to see if they can find anything physical. She was a picture of health at her last check up, but they can't always check her over very thoroughly. If I think there actually is something to look for I can warn them in advance as there is equipment you can use to check wild animals which they could have ready.

My face is feeling much better today, but it looks worse because it is all scabby. My tetanus is up to date fortunately, so no worries there.

Have you thought about trying her on Zylkene? It's what the vets gave Arty when they thought he was stressed last year. You can get online much cheaper than the vets and the capsules open so you can just sprinkle the powder on food.

Glad your face is feeling a bit better :)

Blimey Tally, are you sure it's a domestic cat you've got there? :o

Hope you find out what's causing it, if it's anything specific.

K x