Sign in to follow this  
Bluesbreaker

Drinking and ASD?

While guzzling my lovely new found friend Newcastle Brown i thought, i wonder how many alcoholics or drinkers are asperger's and why that may be?

even i don't fully know why i drink the mass comsumption that I do. although i partly blame that on mental issues caused by my ex.... :wallbash: a person who i hate soo much....

But are any of you alcholic consumers? im not saying your an alchy or anything im just curious as to how many ASD's actually go near alcohol at all.... (being a sociologist of sorts it was bound to get to me at somew point)

Peace out x

I used to have a huge problem with alcahol as it would be the only way I could go out and talk to people. I never saw it as a problem at the time but looking back I was drinking far more than is healthy and far too often. It was the only way I could cope. I've not had a drop in 5 years now and am never going to drink again.

I could do with a drink now :wine::drunk::lol: but I shall stick to chocolate :eat1: I currently have the utmost respect for a number of parents here - I get to give the kids back at the end of the day, but I'm utterly wrecked now.

When I used to drink, I never drank very much, only like a glass of wine with meals, because I hated feeling out of control. I only got drunk once and that wasn't my fault - a stupid student thought it would be funny to swap my pint glass of water for a pint glass of neat vodka, just before I guzzled half the glass down... :shame::sick:

I can't drink now because of the medication I'm on, but I don't miss it at all.

After a few drinks I find I am a lot less anxious and can talk more. I can definitely see why someone with ASD may be attracted to drink as a way to cope with social situations.

My ex was an alcholic - not because of ASD, but certainly as a coping mechanism. It's because of seeing how he was when he was drunk that I did not drink at all for a while. Now I can see that I do not have the same problems he had and I can drink safely, and so I am not teetotal any more, but I simply do not find it pleasurable to drink a lot.

I drink in social situations because it makes me less anxious and more able to talk, and seems to dampen my sensory issues. However, I don't like the taste of lots of alcohol, so tend to stick to cider/cider and black or other sweet drinks (I dislike wine, beer, etc.) unless I'm already drunk and then I'll drink almost anything. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with ASD but.

My family have always liked their booze. :cheers: My brother after his marriage break up took to the bottle, :drunk: 20 years later he is now teetotal after it nearly killed him. I've now gone on the waggon due to the medication I'm on and to be honest I dont really miss it at all.(Well not much).

At a recent Family wedding there was us 2 with our orange juice when everyone else had champagne. :crying:

Drinking is illogical. Tastes horrible and kills you.

not always.

as long as it's responsible then that's fine, and depends on your tastes buds, I prefer the taste of double shot jack daniels and coke now and then, and it doesn't kill you, smoking does :P

While guzzling my lovely new found friend Newcastle Brown i thought, i wonder how many alcoholics or drinkers are asperger's and why that may be?

even i don't fully know why i drink the mass comsumption that I do. although i partly blame that on mental issues caused by my ex.... :wallbash: a person who i hate soo much....

But are any of you alcholic consumers? im not saying your an alchy or anything im just curious as to how many ASD's actually go near alcohol at all.... (being a sociologist of sorts it was bound to get to me at somew point)

Peace out x

Hi I am new to all this but I am an alcoholic (sober) and I have AS. I drank to be normal and I could communicate ,at first. Thought you might be interested in a book which helped me it is called 'Asperger and Alcohol, drinking to cope' by Matthew Tinsley and Sarah Hendrickx, Apparently there are lots of us out there.

Edited by GerryG