Sign in to follow this  
hatter

babyish speech in 6 year old

My son Charlie has always been on the silly/ daft side :wub: , and babyish speech has featured a lot in the last couple of years- even before he started is current school. He is particularly unhappy at school at the moment, as he feels he is not treated fairly by both teachers and other children. There is one boy who he has really bonded with, but their frienship seems to consist of being really daft, talking gibberish and rolling about on the floor together- the staff are fed up with it to the extent that Charlie is being moved to a different class next year (he doesn't know this yet - I'm dreading telling him :( ). He is in a predominantely Muslim school where a lot of the children speak English as a second language- his friend is a Muslim boy, so I'm aware of the possibility that Charlie may have picked up some Urdu or other language, but it still seems like gibberish to me. I think Charlie uses this babyish speech as a way of avoiding real issues- he was lost in thought on the way to school this morning and when I asked him what he was thinking about, he replied ' gujababa' (which he has prevously told me means someone with no hair :wacko: ). I'm not sure if this is a characteristic of AS. In the last week or so this has got much more frequent, also I've noticed he's flapping his hands a lot, and I've not noticed this before, so it seems he is feeling particularly stressed at the moment.

His teacher has suggested that I attend a meeting with the senco and herself sometime in the next couple of weeks, which I'm all for, as I just want him to be happy, and if we can work out any ways of helping him then that'll be great. I have got some information from the NAS on stratigies to help motivate him with his work, as he has very little work to show considering his intelligence. However, I don't hold out much hope, as the senco thinks that we shouldn't use any AS specific stratigies until he gets a diagnosis. Apparently he is not 'disruptive enough' and there are other children with behavioural problems who take priority.

I also feel that his school work is, on so many levels, too easy for him (it took him all of 40 seconds to do his homework the other night) but when I've mentioned this to his teacher (who acknowledges that he's very intelligent), her reply is that his actual output needs to improve before he gets set harder work. He shows the characteristic lack of imagination and flexible thinking which means that when it comes to drawing children playing in the park, he needs to be shown how to draw a slide and gets extremely tearful in the classroom, as he thinks he can't do it. Then he gets called a cry baby by the other children :wallbash: . Another case is writing a diary where he just copied the example sentences the teacher had given them- his teacher either interperates this as him not making enough effort or that the work is too hard.

His school social life is non extstant, as so many of the children go to mosque, and the one's who don't, Charlie doesn't get on with (despite my efforts with inviting children round to play). He is very aware of this, as at his old school he had lots of friends he saw outside of school. We have had so many tears :crying::crying: about how he want to leave that school but doesn't want to lose his friend (the one who he's being split up from next year :( ).

I really don't know what to do next and would appreciate any advice about what I should be asking for at this meeting. Part of me just wants to whip him out of that school and back to his old school (which would be a pain, as it's a drive across the city, and probably not an option anyway). It's just that I can see he's trying so hard to cope and I just want to help him :crying:

:oops: sorry for the long post!

Hi

I'm not sure i've got much advie but H who is nearly 7 and as also reverts to baby talk when stresed or in a new situation. At our first clinic appt he would not talk propably at all. I also would not discount the possibility that he has easily picked up a new language H is learning spanish at present! With H silliness is a sign of stress. He also lacks motivation and onlydoes anywork on a 1-2-1, and therefore is behind, but i think the work is not challanging for him so he switches off.

We have also had the run around from the school, whenever i have mentioned as, they have said we will wait until a diagnosis, then 2 weeks ago we were officialy diagnosed at now it is we will wait for the report.

The only advice for the meeting is be prepared as possible, make sure you get your points across, i find it quite intimitating when a lot of people are present, and note down behaviours. I would also challenge been seperated next yr from his only freind,this will make school a even worse place for him and knock his confidence, see if any other stratergies can be put in place first.

H also says constantly he wants to be relocated to another school. I am dithering about what is best, another school mybe worse, and better the devil you know! Also he is used to the school he is in, I am also thinking about private special schools and home ed for the future but we would have to move.

I'm not sure that is any help but I can fully sympathise. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Much of what you describe does fit AS. The fact that the school have called this meeting says to me that they obviously have some concerns about 'something'. What that 'something' is I am sure they will tell you at the time. But, in the meantime they have obviously got you worried - to me it is a bit unfair to have suuggested a meeting 'sometime in the next couple of weeks. Thats got you sitting and brooding on things.

Have you talked to anyone about what you have posted on here? GP, Health visitor, someone like that? If not why not do so now, it might put your mind at rest a bit. GP might be willing to make a referal to a peadatrician who can do a proper investigation into things.

In the meantime, do some research for yourself and see what you can find to help. The NAS website ( www.nas.org.uk ) would be a good starting point. SarahJane's suggestion of writting things down that you want to raise at the meeting is a very good one. It means that the things that you are concerned over will be discussed, not just the things that they are. This meeting ought to be minuted - and you should receive a copy. It 'could' be the first of many so get a file anf keep it safe. IF they start talking 'Eduspeak' at you (jargon) and you don't understand what the hell it means, ASK them. Don't get steamrollered into things that you haven't understood. If possible take someone you feel safe with to the meeting with you for moral support.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. Hope the above is of some use to you.

Hi

it was me who mentioned my concerns about AS to his teacher after she had brought a few issues up. The senco then wrote to our GP who has referred Charlie to both CAHMS and the unit where my other son was diagnosed. In fact yesterday I got the letter saying that Charlie will have his assessment sometime in September, also got a questionairre to fill in about him. Things are moving forward as Ivan got his statement yesterday as well B).

It looks like I'm going to have to have my head screwed on for this meeting, but I can't think of anyone to take along with me (practicalities of picking up Charlie from school, waiting in for Ivan's minibus etc).

Thanks for the replies :)

Perhaps a friend could go with you? If not I suggest contacting your Parent Partnership Service through the LEA. They can be moral support and/or advisor at the meeting. They are impartial, their role is to support you. I am sure that others on here can suggest others who could be there for you (end of a longggg week and right now my minds gone blank!).