Sign in to follow this  
RainbowsButterflies

Annoyed and upset...

All my life my Dad and older brother have taken the mickey by telling me things that aren't true and then laughing when I believe them. My DH also thinks it's funny when they do it.

We have been at my Dad's today, and DD was playing pretend with the phone. She gave it to my Dad, and he pretended to be talking to my step-sister, talking about how he was going to eat DD (nearly 3). She was absolutely terrified, and I had to tell him to stop and that she didn't understand he was joking.

I was speaking to my DH about it tonight and his reaction was that it wasn't a bad thing and she needed to 'toughen up', and that she had gone to sleep ok so it hadn't done any harm. He has no idea...

It took my brother a while to understand that i cant tell when he is joking.

Sometimes though he ends up confusing me eg "stop talking" (imitating our nephew)

can be mistaken for a joke. In harry potter the other day i whispered a question

in his ear in the cinema. He said "stop talking" but i took it as a joke.

i keep having severe meltdowns because i have to content with 5 changes in the space

of 20minutes and it overloads me. When i explain to mum that is what causes the meltdowns

"the reason why i walked off earlier...." (she interrupts with "if you are going to start

an argument...") i continue ".....is because you made too many changes and it overloaded me".

No one in the family except for my brother (who was an innocent bystander to this) understood

what the problem was. A few days later mum gave me a lecture to which i have disowned her (the

late husband caused my C-PTSD and she wont admit i have C-PTSD) as i am fed up with having to

put up with them picking on me then making me out to be the bad one.

She shouted at me because i explained to her why i cant cope with change "you have never had this

problem before!" which in this case was reacting badly to my sister turning up unannounced.

"no wonder you dont have any friends if you are going to react like that" she said to me.

i threatened to hit her (im not violent but she really upset me). im pleased to say i didn't hit her

as i wouldn't want to go down to her level. Then i shrieked and screamed at her, told her to "sod off"

(i rarely swear at people) then walked out. i haven't seen mum or gran since. im avoiding gran because

she cuts me off and says "speak to you when you feel better" (when im melting down on the phone at her).

Despite all of this my local PCT doesnt accept i have mental health problems.

Edited by trekster

My dad is the worst in our household for this (telling people lies as a joke). I'm so used to it that now I'll check things (i.e. if he says he drank my carton of Ribena, I will ask, "Did you really?"), although sometimes he will continue the joke and I'll either end up snapping at him then being mocked for losing my temper over something that didn't actually happen, or I'll assume he's joking but then be disappointed because whatever he has said is true.

It's probably worse being around strangers who have that kind of sense of humour, though. The people who regularly say 'no', when they mean 'yes' (i.e. if you asked if you could use the toilet they'd say no, then they'd say, "Of course you can," - fair enough it's just a joke and it's soon fixed so that I know I can use the toilet, but that moment where I'm not sure how to react or whether they're being serious or not feels quite horrible).