Tally

Sad Day

My grandad died in the night last night.

His girlfriend found him in his bed this morning. He is so often ill and he has been very well recently so I'm glad that at least he got to have a nice Christmas and die peacefully at home.

He's a cantankerous old git, but he accepted my dad as his own son when he didn't need to, and has been my grandad for my whole life.

Oh dear, let the family rows commence.

My grandad's girlfriend phoned my uncle at 2.30am with the news, and he said he would tell everyone else so she did not have to. The next day she was sitting there all by herself wondering why no one had bothered to phone her and see how she was. Which in actual fact was because no one knew yet.

My 2 uncles are already planning to contest the will.

My grandad's girlfriend is already stalling on making any arrangements and has tentatively suggested Jan 15th for the funeral, which is 3 weeks away. So my dad is going to fly out with his sister so she can make arrangements, having to be separated from her 3 young children, and which will probably lead to accusations of my dad interfering because he is not my grandad's biological child.

Oh dear, let the family rows commence.

My grandad's girlfriend phoned my uncle at 2.30am with the news, and he said he would tell everyone else so she did not have to. The next day she was sitting there all by herself wondering why no one had bothered to phone her and see how she was. Which in actual fact was because no one knew yet.

My 2 uncles are already planning to contest the will.

My grandad's girlfriend is already stalling on making any arrangements and has tentatively suggested Jan 15th for the funeral, which is 3 weeks away. So my dad is going to fly out with his sister so she can make arrangements, having to be separated from her 3 young children, and which will probably lead to accusations of my dad interfering because he is not my grandad's biological child.

Oh dear :( Same thing happened when my grandad passed away 7 years ago. My mum was also not his biological daughter, all the siblings were rowing and because my gran and him were separated just before he died she was sidelined too,even though they had been married 40 years.

My aunty and uncle,the two youngest still don't speak to their mum,my mum and my other aunty.Its really sad,and actually was ultimatley down to money.

My dad's taking my auntie to Belgium tomorrow morning. I don't think he thought it through when he booked the ferry and he has just realised he needs to leave at 5am! My auntie's been on the phone all day and the funeral has now been brought forward to 8th January. My dad's arranging transport for all of us which is a big weight off my mind. I had visions of arriving at the airport and not knowing how to travel any further. I can ask for a cup of tea and a spliff, but "where is the bus stop" is pushing it a bit.

I'm feeling a bit better now that things are getting organised anyway.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grand dad.

BTW. If your dad was formally adopted or named on the birth certificate as the father, he will have the same legal rights as the "real" sons.

No, he was never formally adopted. I don't think my grandad would even have been his legal guardian. He doesn't want to inherit any money anyway and he doesn't want to antagonise his brothers, that's why he doesn't want to get too involved in the arrangements. It's just easier if my auntie makes all the decisions.

So sorry to hear this, Tally. >:D<<'>

There are worse ways to go than quietly in bed after a happy Christmas day. It's tougher for those left behind though: I hope his partner is coping reasonably OK and that all the complicated funeral arrangements work out.

Take care >:D<<'>

K x

Edited by Kathryn

My dad and my auntie are back home now. Everything is slowly getting sorted out now and the funeral will be next week. The issue over the will may even be sorted amicably yet.

My grandad's girlfriend is really finding it hard. I didn't really think about it because they never married or lived together, but they have been together for about 13 years, of which she has spent every single day caring for him. Without her he would have had to go into a home.