Sign in to follow this  
smiley1590

is anyone else feel like this?!

everyday now i feel numb,empty 'nothing' i can't really explain put into words how it is i cry at nights ...??? and self harm has come back strong with urges feel so deattached ? i don't really feel personal connection with anyone anymore? feel 'on my own' even though have suppportive understanding parents and family ( sounds ungrateful) feel so lost and confused in myself and i'm not going bed to 3am -4am each morning as playing on wii fit get high buzz feel something anything don't get excited look forward what's going on here? i can't work it out is it grief ? or something else

anyone help explain further with their personal input? would be helpful

XKLX

last night was watching tv until 6am in morning until mum came in asked me turned tv down with volume i don't know if insomia related to A.S or sleep disorder but getting worse never been this bad!? don't know if depression or anxiety related? etc anyone shed some light on situation? should i go docs about it? will they give me meds? am i lacking in melatonin and serotonin ?

XKLX

last night was watching tv until 6am in morning until mum came in asked me turned tv down with volume i don't know if insomia related to A.S or sleep disorder but getting worse never been this bad!? don't know if depression or anxiety related? etc anyone shed some light on situation? should i go docs about it? will they give me meds? am i lacking in melatonin and serotonin ?

XKLX

was you watching tv in bed? if so then the tv will stimulate your brain and you wont feel tired, you need a evening routine that is consistant so your bodyclock can get into a cycle.

Your brain needs time to wind down and switch off it cant just go to sleep, you have to provide the right kind of enviroment to get into sleep state.

You need a calming peaceful room, with dim lighting, soft music, warm room, good bedding, bed, ect..

It may be your GP could refer you to a sleep clinic to help you set up a sleeping routine.

I do have a TV in my room for unwinding but I turn it off at least an hour or two before going to sleep.

Sleeping patterns can vary in people for example some are night owls others are up at crack of dawn.

If you could I would look at ways of relaxing in the evening and follow a visual routine which goes something like this.

Reading/soft tv 7-9pm

Bath 9pm

PJs and comfy night ware, so Dressing gown and slippers.

supper/Light snack and drink 10pm (you can buy a special kind of milk that has high levels of melatonin in from supermarket)

Light Reading 10:30pm

Lights soft/dimmed Relaxing music/meditation cds 11pm

Its about creating a calm, relaxed, sleepy enviroement.

As long as you are getting more than 6hrs sleep it doesnt matter if your scedule is a little later.

Fighting sleep will no daught cause you more problems.

So if you cant sleep. just except it, but stay relaxed, laying in bed, reading, listening to music ect...

Watching tv could also be contributing to anxiety as late viewing have some very distrubing material on that could be triggering your memories and feelings.

So I personally would reduce your tv viewing.

I would at least let your gp know how your sleeping is and see if he could at least refer you to an agency that helps set up sleeping routines, Me personally medication could be a slippery road to more serious sleep disturbances, plus addictions.

I take valerian that is herbal medicine.x

JsMumx

I agree with Js mum, there is alot you can do to try and help yourself before resorting to meds. It could be with the holidays and the excitment of your birthday your body is on a "high" If you not sleeping at night try and avoid sleeping during the day as it will become a cycle.

There are herbal teas you can try to help relax you or something like ovaltine.I have always had trouble sleeping, it works in my favour because I eventually found night work that I was happy with and I could function on 5-6 hours sleep a day.

Now that I am at uni I dont stay up to late and even on weekends I try push myself to at least go to bed, it may take 3 hours for me to fall asleep but I just stay in bed.

If you really arent coping and going days with absolutley no sleep,day or night,then you do need to seek help as you could end up hurting yourself or even others unintentionally.

i really cold im shivering goose bumps don't whether down to lack of sleep! i don't sleep in day wasn't excitement about my birthday feel sleep runs deeper than just what it is connected to my thoughts/emotions etc i start back at work again on thurs even if only for an hour in morning have to wake up at 9am to get there for half ten then go gym afterwards!

justine i don't get last bit of your post if i ain't coping going days and nights without sleep to get help as i could end hurting myself or tohers confused by what you mean exactly?

i'm scared feel 'out of control' everything spinning ....

like i had 4 hours sleep last night and looks like same tonight can't switch off relax always struggled with this seems to be stepping up a level! for some unknown reason! ummm puzzling! i keep seeing and hearing things that aren't there i not hungry and feel NEED exercise all time get high buzz don't feel tired feel like could CARRY ON ..... what's going on!?

XKX

i really cold im shivering goose bumps don't whether down to lack of sleep! i don't sleep in day wasn't excitement about my birthday feel sleep runs deeper than just what it is connected to my thoughts/emotions etc i start back at work again on thurs even if only for an hour in morning have to wake up at 9am to get there for half ten then go gym afterwards!

justine i don't get last bit of your post if i ain't coping going days and nights without sleep to get help as i could end hurting myself or tohers confused by what you mean exactly?

i'm scared feel 'out of control' everything spinning ....

like i had 4 hours sleep last night and looks like same tonight can't switch off relax always struggled with this seems to be stepping up a level! for some unknown reason! ummm puzzling! i keep seeing and hearing things that aren't there i not hungry and feel NEED exercise all time get high buzz don't feel tired feel like could CARRY ON ..... what's going on!?

XKX

If you getting four hours sleep it shows that you are able to switch off and sleep,so by getting into a routine as suggestd above,you can get 6-8 hours sleep,this will help you function and you are likely not to feel the way you feel.

Lack of sleep messes up your metabolism, which will make you feel less or more hungry depending on the time of day.So when someone gets a normal nights rest they usually wake up hungry,but if you not sleeping your body gets confused.

As for harming yourself or others,lack of sleep alters your mood and judgement.Working in a care home I know a few people who have done back to back shifts (19 hours straight) with about a two hour sleep in between, and three hours after. One lady callopsed from exhaustion and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks, another lady burnt her arm with the boiling milk from the hot drinks and another got dismissed from using bad language to a resident. Just some examples of what lack of sleep can do.

You can be walking to work or even to the shops and get hit by a car, not only hurting you but others in the car. Its something you need to think about. Like Js mum mentioned medication can be equally harmful,side effects plus the fact you will rely on that for the rest of your life. You can try change it yourself first if its not working then seek medical advice.

Lack of sleep can cause all kinds of physical symptoms and will make you very emotional.

You are already struggling with grief, anxiety and depression, and my guess would be that those things feel so much worse at night time when everyone else is asleep and you are on your own. Once you can start to get the sleep under control, I bet you will feel a whole lot better and the sleep will be better too. A nice relaxing routine at bedtime will help you get off to sleep.

If you are going back to work on Thursday, then you do still have time to get yourself sorted for Thursday. Force yourself to get up at about 9am on Wednesday. You might be very tired on Wednesday, but keep yourself awake until bedtime and then you will probably sleep well on Wednesday night, ready for work on Thursday.

Going back to work might help you get back into a healthy routine.

Eating meals at a normal time is another thing that can help get you into a good routine. It helps keep your metabolism working properly and will help your body know what time of day it is. If you don't feel hungry then eat a small meal. Just make sure that you eat the right meals at the right time of day.

JsMum has given you some really good suggestions. I would definitely give them a try. If you are still having problems then it's a good idea to see a doctor. Sometimes a short course of sleeping pills can re-set your sleeping patterns. I take a sleeping pill 1-2 times a week just to keep my sleep patterns from spiralling out of control. I have no problems with addiction, that is only a risk if you take them all the time. If you want to try a sleeping tablet, make sure you speak to your doctor about a sensible way to take them.

tally hit nail on head when you say that it worse at nights when everyone in bed i'm alone with thoughts whirring whizzing around non stop drives me mad crazy! mostly grief and A.S related probs get me like depression worrying and urges i've never felt refreshed from sleep that what making me think insomia as feel like i havn't sleeped when i have still feel tired!

XKX

tally hit nail on head when you say that it worse at nights when everyone in bed i'm alone with thoughts whirring whizzing around non stop drives me mad crazy! mostly grief and A.S related probs get me like depression worrying and urges i've never felt refreshed from sleep that what making me think insomia as feel like i havn't sleeped when i have still feel tired!

XKX

when the night times are the worse, and you feel more isolated there is NHSDirect who can support you throw the evening, they have been brilliant in the past for when Ive struggled with J and given me advice what to do in the morning.

I also write down my thoughts and feelings, in the past I use to talk into a dictaphone, but I find writing, drawing much more theraputic.

You need to find relaxing things to do when your on your own, listening to soft relaxing music, drawing, or writint, reading, knitting, making a rug, just something that helps you throw the night.

Make your bedroom all cosy and lovely, lava lamps, twinkley lights, bubble lights, cushions and teddys, ect... make it your own little sanctuary.

JsMumx

A few thoughts - some of how you feel sounds like Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), and it can be effected by poor sleeping patterns. As someone who never suffered depression before in my life (I was a very upbeat person, always happy, never even sad) when I started suffering from SAD it felt a lot like how you describe, all of a sudden at night I had a feeling of emptiness that hit me like a tone of bricks. The feeling is like there's a big black hole in your centre, you're falling into that hole and can't seem to find a way to stop yourself falling - part of that also made me feel even less connected with others, I would have to stop myself from sabotaging my friendships by just giving-up on them.

There has been some research that people on the autistic spectrum can be lacking in melatonin - now although medicine should be a last route, if sleep hygiene, getting into good sleeping patterns, and relaxation don't work you might want to try one of two things; melatonin and 5-Hydroxytryptophan - the former should help you sleep, the latter is also a relaxant so can help you deal with anxiety and depression that may be plaguing your mind at night.

Self-harm is understandable when feeling like this, it's a way to express or deal with emotions you can't fully understand and don't know how to cope with - I'm not going to say not to self-harm as that can be far more damaging than the harm itself as it leaves you without a coping mechanism. BUT obviously get help from your GP if needed and look into finding other ways of helping yourself, as well as sleeping better try to spend more time with people if you can, get a hobby, get something constructive to do with your time - it's all pretty useless suggestions, but there will be something there to grab your attention and make you feel like you have something to do with yourself which will help with how you're feeling.

Edited by Bloodheart

i do something constructive though i work even though it an hour morning then i go to the town have lunch burn off cals from food through gym and swimming so that my hobby! but for short time the high buzz affect i feel then wears off so doesn't last! i don't think this is SAD though when 14 years old went to docs about self harming / depression / social anxiety had counsellor then went to CAMHS Had an assessment A.S then discovered and officially diagnosed! but seem keep going back to it! i never feel refreshed from sleep so annoying frustrated even if go bed early tossing and turning and feel guilty bad so won't go bed early as feel need go on wii fit every night however tired! so i have depression before ....

XKX