Sign in to follow this  
Rachelp2

Son soon to be 16!

Hi everyone,

It's something that I've been dreading as I havn't had apply for 3 years, but as Dan's turning 16 soon they have kindly!! sent me all the forms out to fill in. (couldn't be more of a bad time, my hubby left last week & am starting divorce proceedings and have a 2 year old to also cope with!)

Is it very likely that Dan will be entitled to DLA at this stage does anyone know? His needs have changed, he can clean himself up & doen't need as much help BUT he still cannot make a sandwich or any kind of meal, he won't catch a bus as he doesn't feel comfortable unless he's with friends, he still doesn't sleep well at night & I have to keep going in his room to make him turn his t.v off and sleeeeep!!! The list goes on but don't want to go to all the effort of the forms if he won't be entitled anymore. This will come as a massive loss to us as his DLA helps out with his Hobbies, taxi's for him etc, I also get carer's allowance for him which we will also miss. Money isn't the be all and end all but it will change his life if he isn't awarded it any longer.

Hope someone's got a little advice for me on this matter as I am lost now he's coming to the age of leaving school & going to colleage, but i'll save that for another time!!

Thanks in advance, much love xxx

Hi,

When they turn 16, if they are capable of dealing with their own affairs, then DLA is put into the child's name and paid into their bank account. Is the form just asking about his capability? They don't have the power to decide whether they're entitled to DLA, just who should take charge of the money. In my lad's case, they decided he was capable after taking a glance at him and asking him if he was doing GCSEs. Actually, he wasn't ready for it but it did turn out to be a good thing in the end, because it forced us into opening a bank account for him and he started to become responsible for his own money.

~ Mel ~

Your son will probably still qualify for some DLA, maybe the middle or lower rate. You would only get the higher rate if he needs to be cared for regularly in the night.

If he is still unable to prepare a hot meal, needs to be accompanied on public transport, and needs to be reminded to do routine things like go to bed, get washed etc. then he should qualify as he needs more help every day than a "normal" person would.

Fill the form in with him or for him, as ASD teens are often not aware of how much help they need, and he will probably think he is much more able than he is. Answer the questions honestly, but make sure to make clear how much help he still needs every day. Would he get lost or be vulnerable it he went out alone? Would he go for days without getting washed or dressed, washing clothes or dishes? Could he remember to take medication regularly?

This is the kind of thing they need to be told to assess his payments.

And it is up to you to decide whether the payments go into his bank account or yours. If you feel he could not manage his own money, you can ask to be appointed his representative and have the money paid to your account.

And it is up to you to decide whether the payments go into his bank account or yours. If you feel he could not manage his own money, you can ask to be appointed his representative and have the money paid to your account.

Sorry, no, this isn't correct. If you tell the DLA people you want to represent your son they will send a representative round to interview you and your son and then they will decide if he is capable or not. We found this very difficult. I was not able to put across all the things that my lad is not able to do whilst he was sitting right there listening and so the representative decided he was capable just by saying hello to him and asking if he had just done GCSEs. After his 16th birthday all forms came to my son in his name for him to fill out and money was sent to him.

~ Mel ~

oxgirl, my son will be 16 this year so will be in that position shortly, how has it worked out him having his own money? mine gets middle care and low mobility, I wouldnt want him to just fritter that away and he would!! I set up an itunes accout with him, he spent £250 in in one day so I had to cancel it! How do you police what your son does with the money or cant you?

That sounds just like my son Enid. With itunes we buy him vouchers so that there is a limit on how much he can spend.

My son is now 16. When his new DLA claim forms arrived I put in that he is not capable of looking after his own finances. They sent an assessor, who agreed with us. I now have an account for his DLA in my name. I can give him money or pay for things we feel appropriate. It means there is some left!! The charity shops would think it was their lucky day otherwise!

Rachel, it really is worth reapplying. There are things your son can't do independently and needs help with. That's what you write in. Just think of his bad days and how much help he needs. Good luck. xx

Thanks for that, yes I learnt the hard way! Its if the assessor dosnt accept that they cant, like oxmum, so hope I can make them see sense. Enid

When my son turned 16 I filled the forms in on his behalf and asked that correspondence was addressed to me and any award was paid into my bank account. I did get a phone call about what he was capable of and what I had put on the form but no assessor came out to see us and he was awarded DLA for 2 years. It comes up for renewal later this year and he has decided he would like to fill the forms in himself and as he will soon be 18 its another thing he has to be responsible for if he is going to lead any sort of independant life.

Edited by cathyz

Sorry, no, this isn't correct. If you tell the DLA people you want to represent your son they will send a representative round to interview you and your son and then they will decide if he is capable or not. We found this very difficult. I was not able to put across all the things that my lad is not able to do whilst he was sitting right there listening and so the representative decided he was capable just by saying hello to him and asking if he had just done GCSEs. After his 16th birthday all forms came to my son in his name for him to fill out and money was sent to him.

~ Mel ~

Yes I know, they came to visit me and my son when he reached 16. It was not a problem for us - perhaps your son's disability is not as obvious? my son also has MLD, and it's quite quickly obvious that he can't cope with his own affairs. He will never be able to do a GCSE. The DWP worker was only in the house about 10 minutes. I an still his representative and his money still gets paid into my bank account.