Tally

Something to do Next Weekend

If you have an hour to spare next weekend, how about spending it recording bird species that visit your garden, local park, or even meet others at an event near you? Help to identify bird species in decline, and record those who are on the increase as well.

RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch, more info here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

Go on, you know you want to!

This is a big hobby of my DH. We have all sorts of bird feeding contraptions hanging in the garden. Have to move them to hang out washing!!! Have to say however, I love the little goldfinch birds we get every day, about seven of them, lovely. ( http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?print=1&a=1238) He uses niger seeds to attract these. In fact, at Christmas when I was up to my eyes in shopping for all and sundry the only thing he added to the list was those seeds! We also had a flock of strange birds land in the garden for a few moments and then leave ... very eerie. He knows what they're called but he's not here at the moment. It all goes whoooooosh, in my left ear and out the right. I will, however, let him know of the programme, if he doesn't already, it's right up his street.

Thank you!

Tes x

I don't really know much about British bird species: is there a handy guide somewhere?

There's a website called 'Twitter'. I think that might be about birds... :ph34r:

So there is. :D There's a link to it on this and virtually every website. I had no idea bird watching had become so popular - seems as though everyone's doing it! :P

Twenty twilight twitterers tweeted on Twitter. How's that for a tongue twister? :)

K x

Tally, how did you know that?!!! Yes, it was wax wings. There was about twenty of them, never saw them before and haven't seen them since! They were lovely but ever so eerie. They landed in a big tree in one fell swoop and then disappeared a few minutes later. I'm amazed you knew that!

Tes x

There is an ID sheet for common British garden birds here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/images/bgbw_sheet_2011_tcm9-259825.pdf

It includes all the ones you are likely to see, but isn't much help for size comparison.

I am very jealous of the waxwing sighting! A few normally visit Britain in the winter, but some years we get lots. We have a huge influx of them this winter and birdwatchers are very excited about them. I still haven't seen one, although there have been some sightings my way so maybe I still will. I love them, so exotic and strange looking.

A boy from Fair Isle had them eating out of his hands, I am very jealous: http://fair-isle.blogspot.com/2010/11/waxwings-oct-25th-2010-day-well-always.html

What a lovely story, thank you for that. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend? "Get the apples out!"

I'll post any photos if we get some.

Tes x

Ooh, my big order from the RSPB has arrived and I now have a great big fird feeder stand in my garden with lots of goodies hanging from it. Hopefully the birds will find it before next weekend otherwise I will have no birds to report!

For some reason they are not coming to my garden this winter. They were all over the bird feeders last year and I had to refill them every day. Despite all the snow and cold weather, they have not come this winter. A few starlings ate my suet block, but even that went mouldy in the end. Big disappointment. My mum, on the other hand, has got ###### everywhere and greenfinches pecking at her nuts!