Sign in to follow this  
Archie

An intro and a question

Hi, my name is Archie, I'm 32 and live in North Wales (just). I'm currently awaiting a diagnosis of whatever, the educational psychologist reckons it's "high functioning". I have an assessment on the 16th of February, can anyone tell me what to expect or do these things vary from county to county? Thanks, Archie

Hi Archie, and welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of different tools that can use to diagnose ASD, but they all work in a similar way by helping the psychologist gather evidence for each of the diagnostic criteria to see whether you meet them.

Most likely they will go through a list of questions about your difficulties and maybe also ask you to fill in some questionnaires yourself. They will collate your answers and their own observations to decide whether you meet the criteria.

When I was assessed it took 3 hours, I was exhausted by the end! Sometimes it takes more than one appointment. Sometimes they will tell you straight away, other times they will get back to you. Either way, you and your GP should eventually receive a written report.

they ask you all types different questions any medical background/history birth / childhood what they were like if had any difficulties etc and about how was school and home life what struggled with day to day found hard challenging etc any MH probs ( depression ,anxiety) any allergies ( food esp) any linked medical conditions such as epilespy!

good luck with assessment

hope goes 'well' for you!!!

XKLX

Thanks folks, at least now i have a rough idea of what to expect, i hope they don't give me too many questionnaires, i despise forms and paperwork, one my my pet hates :S, still if it helps me to understand myself a bit better then i'm all for it