Sign in to follow this  
Frizz

Stressed about SATS??

Hi.

My DD is in year 6 & due to sit SATS next month.This week we have had 2 days where she has refused to work & cooperate at school & it seems too much of a coincidence that this has happened the same week that she discovered how close the exams are.

I tried to encourage her to talk about it with me,but she either shouts & yells at me or shuts down.I have managed to discover that she is worried about the timed aspect of the tests & that she cannot do joined up writing.

I introduced a 'worry book' hoping that she might pop some notes down in it for me to read but alas no!

As I type she is serving an after school detention for not completing her work during school hours.If her fear of failure is making her stop working in class,I feel punishment is not the way to go,but the headteachers philosophy is "you're here to learn". I should add that the school has a social & communications department & she has been in the school for 18months after a disasterous time in a mainstream setting.

I am about to head off to collect her now & will take my opinion up with the teacher.

My DD is no genious,but I feel that if the SATS are going to cause this much anxiety (& I'm only guessing its the cause),then I should put my foot down & tell the school to back off.

Youre opinions/experience would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.x

Okay,so back from school & feeling loads better.

It would seem the head was just making the point that if she leaves the lesson,she catches up in her own time! Detention was probably the wrong choice of wording.

I took the oportunity to discuss SATS & it appears she has extra time & a TA to hand as well.Oh, & they are in May,not March as she thought.

School feel she is more than capable of taking them & will work on the mentioned anxieties in the time running up to the tests.

Hopefully things will all work out ok.

If not,watch this space!!! :rolleyes:

i'm have real bad anxiety and panic attacks when sitting my G.C.S.E's i felt sick my stomach churning sweating hands shaking there any way special arrangements can be made to reduce anxiety/worry/stress at all? e.g on a room on her own as this settled my nerves better as felt daunted sitting in room full of others was pretty overwheliming just the word exams/tests brought me out in a sweat made feel sick dreaded it!

XKLX

Hi

Can you try some mock exams with her at home? You can do a proper exam set up,in a dining room or quiet area with desk and give her an hour or so to complete a piece of work.Tell her its not so much about the work more to see how she will cope under pressure on the day. keep a clock nearby and let her know when time is almost up.

Try it a few times before the exams come up.