jellybean

are these phobias normal?

hi I've only just joined this forum but I do not know what else to do, i dont know if anyones got any advice but i have a 12 year old with a.d.h.d, aspergus, o.c.d. and an anxiety disorder, she has been on strattera for 3 years but recently started to have really irrational thoughts about dying, she is convinced she is going to get ill and die, even thinking she is going to get the black plague, I dont know if this is normal behavior for a child with these conditions, a result of the meds or what but i dont know how best to help her, I've talked to school and doctors but not really getting anywhere, she has been given a small dose of rispiridone for a month to see if it helps but i'm not very happy about giving her it.

whats worse its her saying she knows she's not normal but cant help feeling like it.

She has always had a phobia of being ill but this is getting beyond the joke now, any advice would be great x

this may be to do with her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder taking over her thoughts making them irrational and also maybe combination of her anxiety disorder too has she had any MH support from professionals like child pyschologist / pyschtrist???

Obsessive thoughts are not uncommon and can be very difficult. I can only suggest you talk again to your doctor/psychiatrist about the problems you are having and ask for something to help - maybe a course of cognitive behaviour therapy and/or medication.

There is a good book called 'Mind over Mood' which explains how to use CBT as it is not too difficult to have a go at yourself if the help is not forthcoming.