Sign in to follow this  
Alma

Anyone tried yoga?

Hi, I'm stepmum to J who has aspergers and attachment disorder. I've given up my full time job to enable us to cope better as a family but I'm re-training to be a yoga teacher and I'm really interested in the benefits that yoga could bring to people with aspegers and to their parents (I know from experience how much it can help parents!)J is reluctant to spend one on one time with me but, when I can persuade him to, he relly enjoys trying some postures and loves me to talk him through a relaxation. I've bought a book called yoga for children with ASD and I've made a few contacts locally but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I have AS and have done yoga on and off for the last 13 years. I think its good exercise and relaxation at the same time, helps me feel more in tune with my body and have a better posture so walk and look more confidently as a result. I have a yoga book for children by Thia Luby called "Children's Book of Yoga" which my children find quite enjoyable to follow though some of the steps they find more tricky than others, but its not a yoga book tailored for ASD children in particular, though my eldest daughter who loves doing yoga is AS herself.

I do feel I get a lot of benefit out of practising meditation and visualisation as well (just a pity I don't always have time to do it daily!). When I used to do antenatal yoga whilst pregnant, the teacher often had a short session of meditation and visualisation alongside the actual yoga, and I think all these things go very well together to create a more peaceful and calm mind. I have placed an order for "Starbright: Meditations for Children" which I've researched quite a lot on Amazon and think it sounds like it would be useful for my children to practise before bedtime to help them wind down and sleep better. Just waiting for it in the post now!

i do yoga exercises on the wii fit plus and helps me chill out relax ... helps relieve tension and stress anxiety out the body system find help you focus on what your body asking helps you concentrate

XKLX

Mysore style ashtanga vinyasa yoga meditation.

I've been doing it 5 or 6 days a week now for 6 years, I'm about as un-aspergers as an asperger can be whilst still obviously being aspergers (according to every autism professional I've ever come across, I can list them on request. Most are contactable and can verify it).

I also take a herbal supplement and have some essential education behind me (autism, empathy, psychology, cluster b, lots of 'social' experiences etc).

I know another asperger who also does Mysore style ashtanga vinyasa yoga meditation, he seems to get the same results although he doesn't seem interested in sharing it with other aspergers unfortunately. I'm up for it though!

It takes about 6 weeks to learn to start practising this yoga independently and get the same benefit that I do.

If anyone else tries it can they please let me know if it works for you too?