Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Dentists

L unfortunately has a hole in one of his teeth. He's had no issues at all till now, but unfortunately he needs to have it filled or removed. He doesn't really like having his teeth brushed but we do pin him down and do it twice daily as it's not something we compromise on - purely because we want as much as possible to avoid him needing treatment. We've used a mainstream dentist in the past, who usually gets a quick look with the mirror whilst he is howling, or this last appointment he did at least say Ahhhhh (because that's what Peppa Pig does ;)).

Anyway, the likelihood is he will need to go under a GA to have any work done. There is no way he will cope otherwise. Therefore our dentist needs to refer us to the community dental team who will then have a SN dentist assess and refer him to hospital. Straightforward I thought.

I saw our dentist for the referral on 3rd March. HAdn't heard anything so called the community dental clinic today - they haven't had the referral (my dentist sent on the 14th and will resend), but she then informed me that the assessing dentist comes once a month and has just been so it will be the end of April before he will even be assessed let alone treated!! He then may or may not bypass the hospital waiting list because of his autism/other needs.

I can't believe he has to put up with toothache for that length of time :( I am looking into private options but obviously it's not straightforward that way either. He can't yet pinpoint where in his body things hurt so we are getting some more difficult behaviours because he's obviously hurting and can't figure out where or why.

Anyone got any ideas? How does it work in other areas - do you all have that kind of wait?

Lynne

PS - I know in reality 5 weeks isn't long - but it is if you have toothache I think! Especially given that's just for assessment and not even treatment.

you could turn up at A&E and say you've been told a dentist appointment will be at least 5 weeks and you're concerned it's gotten infected.... (an infected tooth would be an emergency - wereas a filling is just a routine procedure) and hope for an immediate referal to the dental hosp(if you have one)

Talk to the child section of your local hospital (the one that would have diagnosed your child) and explain that you have tried numerous attempts with your child and the dentist but to no avail. A filling needs to be done and you would like to know if there is anyway this can be done in the hospital department's dental section x

Do they know he has toothache and is on the spectrum?

They should prioritize him with toothache.

Try above advice and see if you can get it done asap.

My son was also referred to the community dentist. Can't remember how long it took for the appointment. He had a tooth that needed a filling. Whilst waiting he developed an absess, but that was draining itself and he wasn't in pain - or so he said.

He had a GA and they were good at the hospital. They didn't initially want to do a GA, but I made it VERY CLEAR about what they would have to deal with and in the end they gave him some gas and air and then put the tube in the back of his hand (they had already used the cream patch to deaden the pain.

What miffed me is that he came out of the theatre having had his tooth with the absess removed and the dentist found another hole to be filled. I don't understand how our dentist kept missing these holes until they were so big they needed the community dentist to fill them.

How does it work in other areas - do you all have that kind of wait?

We have a special needs dentist, and they're amazing. It took a long time to get on to their books, but it was worth it.

We've yet to go through anything other than a check-up or fissure seal, though - my son is obsessive about brushing his teeth because he's terrified of the noise that drills make.