Sign in to follow this  
kazzdt

AS workshop

Hi

I was just wondering if any of you have ever attended an Aspergers workshop, if so did it benefit you?

We attended the first of a six week course on Monday, and so far it seems that it could really benefit us all. There are seven AS children in the group and their parents. The children are taken seperately from the adults and receive, music therapy, art, & craft, sport etc. Parents are then taken as another group. The first session this week was just getting to know each other and present our backgrounds experiences etc The 3 hour session just whizzed by. It was very sad but uplifting at the same time to listen to each other. Sam seemed to enjoy it too, though he wouldn't admit it, but was in a very good mood after. He said that the other kids were weird and that only a couple of them were 'normal' like him!

In subsequent weeks we will be covering topics such as the differences between HFA and AS, behaviour management, sensory issues, education etc. But all discussion will be led by what we want to know.

I'm really looking forward to next week, I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

Kazz

I went to one for ASD in general covering all areas ran by the Durham Autism support group and was a big eye opener, plenty of practical advice and information. It was only for the parents but was also nice knowing we aren't alone.

I have been on many courses, both for professionals and parents, mostly on AS and autism.

the quality of the courses varies, as does the content - I've been courses on art therapy, intensive interaction, social stories, general autism, AS specific, behaviour management, social inclusion .....

I've never regretted going on any of them, even where I already had the knowledge or it wasn't directly relating to our personal or professional needs and interests. Sharing information you have is very rewarding and helps you feel more positive about your own understanding and strategies.

I actually help run workshops too, mainly for adults with AS which helps me feel I'm putting something back - I felt very guilty about giving up work and this has helped a lot.

I don't think I've ever come away without learning something new, even if it wasn't entirely what I was supposed to learn!!!

The best thing is the people you meet and the contacts you make - how do you get to meet the autism advisor when school aren't being very helpful? go on a workshop she's running!

I've recently discovered a special school on the other side of the city runs parent workshops on autism - they are fantastic and led by very good professionals and designed for parents to actually ask questions and get decent practical information back. they welcome people from outside the school but it's always wise to check.

these workshops aren't always well advertised but check the local autism support group - they often put them in their newsletters or may tell you who to ask if you ring in.

go for it

Zemanski

The workshop was offered to us at the clinic when Sam was diagnosed. All the children are around his age (11-13). It tooks us years to get his dx and it was a bit of a battle, but now we're there at last, things seem to be moving. I really do wish I'd had some help years ago but better late than never eh?

Apart from the workshops, we have a visiting therapist who comes to our home every week or so, at the moment to talk through issues with Sam and ourselves and at last the Advisory Team for Autism has contacted his school to say they will be in contact 'as soon as the caseload allows' (Well I guess that won't be before end of term - he leaves for secondary transfer, so hopefully they'll catch up with him then!!)

Had our second session last Monday. Sams session consisted of music therapy, art and sport. Our session concentrated of the different places on the autistic spectrum and the differences between HFA and AS etc. We talked about the varying degrees of autism but that basically autism is autism and should be viewed as such.

We talked also about strategies that have helped our children in school and was given a helpful tip for secondary transfer. One parent made a letter with a photo and a description of the child, with likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses etc, and gave a copy to every teacher the child was to be involved with so that everyone knew exactly what his needs were. This is definately something I'm going to do for Sam in September.

Next session Monday, keep you posted.

Kazz