darkshine

I want to post a post

I know its things like the following that illustrates my weirdness but I just can't do it any other way!

I have never been a member of a forum, I have never asked people I don't know for help or advice before, especially when we haven't even met!

I don't tell many people many things.

What if no-one answers? or no-one can help? or everyone in the world hates me? and a million other really stupid questions are running round my head (fortunately I can't type fast enough to type them all)

I'm not seeking reassurance.

I just want to know if someone out there has any knowledge about what I should do? and if they have, will they post a reply? - since I'm now sounding quite mental - and since I'm actually going to post this - I'm gonna stop typing now... and send my actually post later - for some reason - if anyone has a cure for whatever it is that I'm doing right now please give it me - or failing that hit me over the head.........

And as if this wasn't bad enough already I can't even leave it there and this isn't even my actual post for goodness sake but it occurred to me that maybe this is a place where it might not matter?

I often toy with the idea of elective mutism..... except I just can't shut up :blink:

Hi darkshine.

Generally you'll find that people on forums are pretty accommodating when it comes to responding to threads even when they are initially unable to provide help or introspective on the subject. Whether it's advice, curiosity, mining post counts or simply a respnse fueled by arrogant self assertion you can gaurantee that someone will respond... even if the response is just to comment on the nature in which people post comments on the internet. B)

As for the cure you're looking for: None that I'm aware of although the compulsive quest to understand and question everything is one that can be very rewarding and certainly and positive one. That said obviously where the owner of the introspective questioning perceives the topic to be negative it can be harrowing.

Not sure if that helps, nonetheless you can rest assured the forum will support you in efforts to gain understanding.

i am guessing here. but is your concern due to experience of negative response from others about things you have asked or hearing others have had that response?

I get this making it hard to ask things so save them up or forget or overload with things, though i am now slowly learning through a few friends really mean nothing is silly to ask they respect my aspergers.

Hi darkshine.

Generally you'll find that people on forums are pretty accommodating when it comes to responding to threads even when they are initially unable to provide help or introspective on the subject. Whether it's advice, curiosity, mining post counts or simply a respnse fueled by arrogant self assertion you can gaurantee that someone will respond... even if the response is just to comment on the nature in which people post comments on the internet. B)

As for the cure you're looking for: None that I'm aware of although the compulsive quest to understand and question everything is one that can be very rewarding and certainly and positive one. That said obviously where the owner of the introspective questioning perceives the topic to be negative it can be harrowing.

Not sure if that helps, nonetheless you can rest assured the forum will support you in efforts to gain understanding.

31770 - the 'cure' was just a sort of joke - not a very funny one really, more an ironic one as I know I'm being stupid but can't always stop it. I wonder what a couple of things you said mean so I hope you check back.

1. mining for posts?

2. simply a respnse fueled by arrogant self assertion?

Sorry if I sound even thicker but I figure its best to ask if you don't know something...

And thanks for your reply, it kinda helps :)

i am guessing here. but is your concern due to experience of negative response from others about things you have asked or hearing others have had that response?

I get this making it hard to ask things so save them up or forget or overload with things, though i am now slowly learning through a few friends really mean nothing is silly to ask they respect my aspergers.

Thanks Charlotte,

I'm one of those people who in social situations just doesn't get heard, I get negative responses a lot and people quite often don't listen to me, which is funny to me, cuz when someone actually does listen and talk to me they say I'm good at listening and my advice is good.

Quite often in group conversations (these don't happen often as I avoid them) I try to speak several times without anyone even noticing and the conversation just carries on as if I don't exist. I think this post is a bit like having a trial run and to check to see if anyone's listening - I guess its a bad habit from face to face experience...

I'll actually bite the bullet and post my post shortly - I just need to check what I'm saying for the 15th time...

Another problem I have is people quite often don't understand me so I have to think about how I'm saying things a bit or people get even more confused and then I find it harder to be clear about what I mean.

31770 - the 'cure' was just a sort of joke - not a very funny one really, more an ironic one as I know I'm being stupid but can't always stop it. I wonder what a couple of things you said mean so I hope you check back.

1. mining for posts?

2. simply a respnse fueled by arrogant self assertion?

Sorry if I sound even thicker but I figure its best to ask if you don't know something...

And thanks for your reply, it kinda helps :)

Hi darkshine

I kind of suspected the "cure" part was not born in gravitas lol. I thought a reference to the positive aspects might be in good stead with regards to the post as a whole.

As for the two points you've listed:

One of the most simultaenously beautiful and disgusting elements of internet forums is the way people use them.

Mining posts is an largely a meta persona that (I'd speculate) is an extension of a desire to be respected or considered a reliable source of relevant information that sadly is not always explicitly linked to the desire to have the knowledge that is paramount to such a position. In short the method is simply to respond to as many posts as possible, regardless of how innane the response is, with an end goal of accumulating a high post count or high activity level which may give the impression that the person is at the very least lovingly passoinate about the topic. If you ever visit reddit I'm sure you'll be aware of their equivalent "karma whoring". Although their site isn't of the same nature of a dedicated forum, the principle is much the same - People crave to be seen as important, not everyone cares how they go about getting that status.

Self assertion: (in some ways can be tied to the aforementioned). There are few people in the world who don't believe that they have the perfect moral balance. In the same way that people aren't interested in questions or views that contradict their beliefs it is not uncommon for people to assume that everyone else needs their input in order to live a morally balanced life. Once again reddit is good example here in that they tackled the matter head on and created the "circlejerk" sub reddit where people can "Have all your crazy values reaffirmed." Sort of a ironic joke aimed at displacing such comments to a place where people go solely to see such comments.

Possibly a bit long winded in response. I realise that in commenting on the above in my first post I may seem to be being slightly unsupportive but that isn't what was intend. Essentially what I meant was as long as you manage your expectations of what constitutes as a response (in a world of internet trolls) then you can rest assured that someone will respond to your posts. The first response received in a thread may not be helpful, perhaps even insulting, but the reply counter is a fruit of curiosity to the causual forum browser and in time will likely entice others to read the thread and hopefully make a relevant and helpful comment.

For the record: I don't consider myself to be an authority on the behavioural traits of forum users but I'm sure many people who have spent a lot of time on forums (again in speculation, more so with lurkers) will hold similar views.

Hi darkshine

I kind of suspected the "cure" part was not born in gravitas lol. I thought a reference to the positive aspects might be in good stead with regards to the post as a whole.

As for the two points you've listed:

One of the most simultaenously beautiful and disgusting elements of internet forums is the way people use them.

Mining posts is an largely a meta persona that (I'd speculate) is an extension of a desire to be respected or considered a reliable source of relevant information that sadly is not always explicitly linked to the desire to have the knowledge that is paramount to such a position. In short the method is simply to respond to as many posts as possible, regardless of how innane the response is, with an end goal of accumulating a high post count or high activity level which may give the impression that the person is at the very least lovingly passoinate about the topic. If you ever visit reddit I'm sure you'll be aware of their equivalent "karma whoring". Although their site isn't of the same nature of a dedicated forum, the principle is much the same - People crave to be seen as important, not everyone cares how they go about getting that status.

Self assertion: (in some ways can be tied to the aforementioned). There are few people in the world who don't believe that they have the perfect moral balance. In the same way that people aren't interested in questions or views that contradict their beliefs it is not uncommon for people to assume that everyone else needs their input in order to live a morally balanced life. Once again reddit is good example here in that they tackled the matter head on and created the "circlejerk" sub reddit where people can "Have all your crazy values reaffirmed." Sort of a ironic joke aimed at displacing such comments to a place where people go solely to see such comments.

Possibly a bit long winded in response. I realise that in commenting on the above in my first post I may seem to be being slightly unsupportive but that isn't what was intend. Essentially what I meant was as long as you manage your expectations of what constitutes as a response (in a world of internet trolls) then you can rest assured that someone will respond to your posts. The first response received in a thread may not be helpful, perhaps even insulting, but the reply counter is a fruit of curiosity to the causual forum browser and in time will likely entice others to read the thread and hopefully make a relevant and helpful comment.

For the record: I don't consider myself to be an authority on the behavioural traits of forum users but I'm sure many people who have spent a lot of time on forums (again in speculation, more so with lurkers) will hold similar views.

Hello again

Kinda wish I hadn't asked :lol: I've never heard of reddit - just googled it - don't think its my kind of thing

I'm often accused of being naive :unsure: and I think that is the case here cuz I haven't really thought about much of what you just said before. The mining thing makes me laugh cuz I would never have thought of it - especially as I look for the posts with low counts when looking through the posts cuz surely its these people who need the reply?

Anyway, thanks for filling me in - I appreciate your opinion - I'm pretty clueless in forum dept, am ok with technology and stuff, just not conventions that occur in social situations whether actual of virtual or whatever form they may be :blink:

If people learn anything about me on here - I'd like the first thing for them to realise is that I don't mind what people say (unless they are unnecessarily abusive), I like how people have different opinions and I think its good to hear it because we should challenge our opinions to make sure they are balanced and up-to-date and not just a regurgitation of old opinions or other people's. (Shame I can't do this about my opinion of my self but hey, at least I can do it in other matters) :)

I don't know if anyone will read this, but in reference to parts of this conversation about post numbers and stuff, is that why that thing changes? On mine it said norfolk broads and now it says salisbury hill, and I've seen mont blanc and kilamanjaro (sorry if spelled wrong can't be bothered to check). What others are there? Does it go back down again as well as up?

I don't know if anyone will read this, but in reference to parts of this conversation about post numbers and stuff, is that why that thing changes? On mine it said norfolk broads and now it says salisbury hill, and I've seen mont blanc and kilamanjaro (sorry if spelled wrong can't be bothered to check). What others are there? Does it go back down again as well as up?

You're exactly right, the hills and mountains are called your post status and you get a higher mountain as your post count increases. This is how many posts relate to which status:

0-9 is Norfolk Broads

10-49 is Salisbury Hill

50-99 is Scafell Pike

100-249 is Snowdon

250-499 is Ben Nevis

500-999 is Mt Blanc

1000-2499 is Kilimanjaro

2500-4999 is Mt McKinley

5000-9999 is K2

10000+ is Everest

You're exactly right, the hills and mountains are called your post status and you get a higher mountain as your post count increases. This is how many posts relate to which status:

0-9 is Norfolk Broads

10-49 is Salisbury Hill

50-99 is Scafell Pike

100-249 is Snowdon

250-499 is Ben Nevis

500-999 is Mt Blanc

1000-2499 is Kilimanjaro

2500-4999 is Mt McKinley

5000-9999 is K2

10000+ is Everest

:lol: Thanks Tally, I don't think I'm an Everest type of person :D Do you reckon there's some kind of metaphor there with the climbing mountains? And do you necessarily want to get to the top?!? I don't mind if no-one replies to this, just wanted to say thanks ;)