Sign in to follow this  
theo

diagnosis matters

I am 61 ..... too late for an assessment and diagnosis? It is only recently that I have found out about aspergers ...... and all of a sudden the last 61 years fall into place, my personal tragedy of errors makes sense.

My GP, needless to say, was not empathetic when I broached the subject with him...... "almost impossible to diagnose, and since there is no cure there is little point pursuing the matter". He has refered me for a general mental health assessment, but warned me it would be unwise to mention aspergers. It is up to the assessor to make a decision and very unlikely that I will be referred on.

Yes, there may be no cure, what has happened in the past can not be changed, and okay at 61 I don't have my whole life ahead of me. Diagnosis matters to me ... perhaps I will stop despising the person I am, perhaps I will accept that it is not my fault that I am different.

its never too late, if thats what you want. get yourself a new gp (one that is more understanding and that you can talk to) and if diagnosis is what you want then go for it and dont give up. my 6 yr old son has aspergers and it not only gives you the answers to why things may have happened in the past, but can also make things different for the future. i wish you luck xx

i know man in our local NAS service who is 68 and just recently found out been diagnosed have you looked into an NAS official assessment /diagnosis? can't begin to imagine how hard /difficult it is find out that late in adulthood what is really going on with you and your life for so many years!!! must admire you as must took the blame responsibilities for situations/behaviours you have no control over due to ASD! hope you find answers you looking for soon! i'd ring the NAS and ask about assessment/diagnosis ... the service isn't ageist!

fingers crossed for you!- good luck!

XKLX

Hi Theo,

Nice meeting you. It seems that your GP chooses a very strange approach to this topic. Of course there’re no magic pills to fix an Asperger’s anxiety or miscommunication (my obstacles); but there’re recourses and strategies to improve our lives and make them better, easier to manage. As far as I concern it worth trying. A few months ago I’ve got my assessment done. The psychologist’ report says that he couldn’t make a conclusion but admitted that I have many Asperger’s traits. I approached my line manager with this report and he promised me to review my workplace’s on reasonable adjustments and a mentorship scheme. There’re some practical solutions such as Access to Work fund and I’m sure that there‘s something more to benefit your life.

Hi Theo, and welcome to the forum.

As you know, there is no cure, and there is also very little formal support for adults with Asperger's. But a diagnosis can bring relief, and be key to learning new skills to make improvements for the future. I definitely don't think it's too late for you to be seeking answers.

The diagnostic criteria are quite clear. What can be more complicated is establishing whether the symptoms you have may be explained by some other condition. Many mental health conditions such as social anxiety can look a lot like Asperger's.

If I were you, I would go ahead with the mental health assessment for now. Normally a referral for an assessment does need to come from a mental health service, rather than directly from the GP, so this is probably necessary anyway. You need to get across that your symptoms are lifelong, so any evidence you have about difficulties in early childhood would be very relevant.