leeds_demon

Is It Just A 'Me' Thing or An Aspie Thing?

I've just had an interesting call with my landlord. The long and the short of it, is that he's trying to raise some money to modernise my home, (his house), by replacing the windows and kitchen. I think i might have appeared a little ungrateful as I said I ok with how things were. I mentione to him that I don't really like people in my house, as I don't like the thought of strangers using my bathroom and I don't like the idea of using the bathroom when workmen are doing jobs in case they look at private papers or steal things.

I'm ok with my Dad using the bathroom, (due to her disability my Mum can't climb the outside steps or use the stairs to get to the bathroom), but as far as strangers are concerned, then I have issues. To be honest, I rally don't like my space invading.

So is this just a 'me' thing, or are there some Aspies out there who don't like strangers using their loos, or going to the bathroom themselves, because they are worried thst workmen carrying out jobs pry into their private things or steal things? And what about invasion of space?

Mosy people feel the same,as it's not common behaviour to have strangers in your personal space,with the (d)isability it may make them feelings just a lot more intense ,for me even after years as family man ,my personal space is my only 'santuray'.Go with the flow and you'll soon be loving your new windows.Its this thing of having everythin 'fixed' and not likeing change.

I can think of a few of the old NT's :lol: that don't like this either!!!

Can you put all your really private things in one safe place and therefore reduced the worry on that aspect of your issue? I know I would if it really bothered me - actually, I have done it when someone stayed over that I didn't trust a few years ago ;)

Mosy people feel the same,as it's not common behaviour to have strangers in your personal space,with the (d)isability it may make them feelings just a lot more intense ,for me even after years as family man ,my personal space is my only 'santuray'.Go with the flow and you'll soon be loving your new windows.Its this thing of having everythin 'fixed' and not likeing change.

To be honest, I'm not all that fussed about having the windows done. Anyway, the curtain/kitchen blind rails are attached to the the actual outer frames of the windows, so the window fitters would have to unscrew them, but they wouldn't then re-attach them.

Also, I don't like the the thought of some personI don't know using my bathroom and I don't like the thought of using the bathroom when there are workmen in the house. What if I needed to use the loo, when a window fitter was fitting a new bathroom window?

Edited by leeds_demon

It's never fun to have your place restored.. for NT and AS..

Very nice of your landlord to want to improve the house while you are still in it (usually they wait till you leave, even if that's after 30years!)

unless there is major discomfort of course..

but not very helpful for your peace and quiet!

It might be useful to talk this through with your landlord..

maybe it's a good idea to take a few days of, go on vacation, while the do the kitchen (when/if you both agree to do that..)

It's always helpful to have a pleased landlord, aswell as pleased renter..;-)

Hi

I'm NT and don't like people in my house. Sounds good that your landlord wants to refurbish the place. Just be aware that he might try and increase the rent as a result.

If he does proceed with this, could it be arranged to be done when you're on holiday (or staying with relatives, etc)?

Best wishes.

C.

Edited by cmuir