Sign in to follow this  
JeanneA

Stretch marks

Hi, has anyone noticed how there child as they are getting older and getting stretch marks? Glen started off about 2 years ago getting some on his back, but now he has significant stretch marks under his arms areas, the marks are very 'creased like' if you know what I mean, he's also got some round his groin and still some on his back. I have looked into stretch marks before and was told it was just 'growing spurts' so I guess I shouldn't be worried but these ones under his arm area are very prominent, any advice would be appreciated?

Yes, my DS has, he`s got loads, my older NT boy never got them. My lad has put on weight due to the resperidone, thats the main reason we keep trying to lower it, has glen put weight on? and SG, did yours go/fade or have you still got them?

HI yes Glen has put weight quite a lot this past few months so I guess it all makes sense regarding the stretch marks.

Nah mine never faded they are still mostly purple even after all these years :unsure: Like I said though that is mostly a HMS/EDS thing, have very poor healing. I think for most people they fade to become closer to their natural skin colouring.

Glen's stretch marks are quite prominent under his arm area, lower back and thighs. He is on 30mg metarzipine (if I've spelt that correctly) at night and 1.5 risperidone twice daily. I am worried now that it is the medication thats causing these marks and the weight gain. Glen weighs 11.1/2 stones now which is quite a lot for him. I think I should have a word with the 'home manager' and see what she thinks?

My son is developing stretch marks too via weight gain, I am told the rispiridone has an lot to do with it and the weight gain/diet out of control thing too. I've recently asked for rispiridone to be cut back, which they are trialing for an few months. We have to lock food away at present, he will eat anything, dried food, stuff out of the fridge, whatever ! And gone up two sizes in clothes in 3 months. I think I preferred the meltdowns...... he will be obese in 5 years unless the tablets get changed... We have him on an daily excersize regime, and manage his food at school, but once he gets home !! and in shops he will just help himself too... his weight is more an issue now than his meltdowns were. He clearly has no way to stop eating at present.

It is a problem re resperidone and weight gain, I do feel very guilty/worried/concerned, all of these about it. We cut down to 3.5 then 3. after a short time the "wierd" terrifying behaviours returned, along with the extreme violence, and though I hate to admit it, I am scared of him and what he might do to the others, me and himself. so he is back to 4 at the mo, but in September CAHMS are going to look at his medication and perhaps try something completely different.

SG what is HMS/EDS ?

i was also on risperdone in early puberty and had weight gain issues when on this medication i used to binge eat alot on it and now have been left with after affects of stretch marks mine were red /purple colour now had faded to white on my stomach area hips and under armpit/breast area just get so annoyed as know they will never disappear now i try bio oil as this is suppose to help fade the marks better improve it they just look ugly disgusting hideous on the skin i also use body lotion every night on my skin .... if had the money would love to have laser treatment see if this lessen them over time as drive me mad crazy glad i ain't only one seeing after affects of being on risperdone i wasn't told of any side effects by CAMHS pyschs not paying the price! i'm ashamed of my stretchmarks as don't help body/self image issues i have!

XKLX

It is a problem re resperidone and weight gain, I do feel very guilty/worried/concerned, all of these about it. We cut down to 3.5 then 3. after a short time the "wierd" terrifying behaviours returned, along with the extreme violence, and though I hate to admit it, I am scared of him and what he might do to the others, me and himself. so he is back to 4 at the mo, but in September CAHMS are going to look at his medication and perhaps try something completely different.

SG what is HMS/EDS ?

HMS/EDS is hypermobility syndrome/ehlers-danlos syndrome. It's a connective tissue disorder and a lot of my friends on the spectrum have it as well as I have. There are known crossovers with dyspraxia, ADHD and dyslexia but only anecdotal crossover with ASD although I don't think anyone has researched wether it is more prevelant in the autistic population yet. There's more information on http://www.hypermobility.org/whatishms.php http://www.hypermobility.org/diagnosis.php

SG what is HMS/EDS ?

I am on top of the medication all the time, I DON'T take CAHMS word for everything. Any differences I notice I am straight back at them and get dosages addressed or ask for alternatives. It is an shame we have to dose our children to feel safe, but I often feel medication is just an easier route these people take because therapy is more expensive. It doesn't appear much of a system (CAMHS), any GP could dish out tablets surely ? We've cut down rispiridone to 1.5 a day now. I am constantly pushing the school and CAMHS for alternatives, some school therapies appear to be better than medication so am expanding those where I can push for it.. In reality my son's communication has increased very favorably since we started to cut down on rispiridone. However his ability to cope outdoors seems to be suffering more now (?) My son will happily eat dried pasta in preference to anything else at present !